Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
We had to handle long term injuries to core players early on and I thought Maurice did a solid job with load management and playing the personnel that Zito signed in roles that play to their strengths. I think he deserved a nomination this year but the other three guys do as well. I’d even consider the Oilers coach for coming in and turning that sinking ship around.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bowness, easy. He is an awful coach who got elite goaltending.

The Preds were bad for 20 games then were a great team. They finished with 99 points, and won 15 or so straight at one point (or something crazy like that). All with an extremely meh roster. Bruno did a lot with very little this year. View attachment 864205
I completely disagree - the Preds roster isn’t bad at all, they should have been a playoff team and not be contemplating blowing it all up at TDL. Montgomery tor example doesn’t have a more special roster at all. Bruno = not that good.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I mean Nashville have O'Reilly as their number 1 centre right now. Great player at his peak, but he is past that. Had a good comeback season overall, but he's not an elite centre anymore.

Josi is obviously one of the elite defensemen of the league.

Forsberg is a very good 1st line forward.

Saros when he's on is very good and one of the best.

The Nashville roster is not particularly good. They performed well and them getting 99 points is a remarkable achievement really.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We had to handle long term injuries to core players early on and I thought Maurice did a solid job with load management and playing the personnel that Zito signed in roles that play to their strengths. I think he deserved a nomination this year but the other three guys do as well. I’d even consider the Oilers coach for coming in and turning that sinking ship around.

Yeah many had us as potentially missing the playoffs. I thought we could be a bubble team by Christmas. We were down Ek, Monty, Bennett to start and still got to first place by the new year. Don't get why he's continuously underappreciated and underrated. So much of what this team is doing right is because of his coaching.

Tocchet, I get because the Canucks took a step forward and beat expectations. But Brunette...eh, sure they exceeded expectations, but they were also very inconsistent. As for Bowness, not sure how the coach can be credited for a great defensive effort and the goalie is the shoe-in for a Vezina, it's one or the other IMO.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Bruno wasn’t a randomly chosen scapegoat. He’s not a good NHL coach. The goal is to have a chance to win the Cup, Bruno doesn’t know how to.
He coached us to one of the best regular season records in league history. Was he inexperienced and it showed in the playoffs? Sure. But he had potential that at least two other franchises have also seen. He was just a bad fit at the time. Some of the things said about him then were unfair and just weren't based in reality.

Tough spot, but both the organization and him have successfully moved forward. The hate he still gets here is not because he completely stinks. No regrets, but no reason to root for him to fail either.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Bruno wasn’t a randomly chosen scapegoat. He’s not a good NHL coach. The goal is to have a chance to win the Cup, Bruno doesn’t know how to.

Bruno was contractually obligated to stay behind the bench even if something happened to the head coach. He couldn't just vacate his place even if he felt like that he couldn't manage the duties of a HC. And Zito likely kept Bruno there because he didn't have enough time to conduct a proper search for a successor to Q.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He coached us to one of the best regular season records in league history. Was he inexperienced and it showed in the playoffs? Sure. But he had potential that at least two other franchises have also seen. He was just a bad fit at the time. Some of the things said about him then were unfair and just weren't based in reality.

Tough spot, but both the organization and him have successfully moved forward. The hate he still gets here is not because he completely stinks. No regrets, but no reason to root for him to fail either.
I’m not rooting for him to fail; in fact I was rooting for Nashville to beat the Canucks who I think are frauds.

Bruno had/has no ability to make adjustments. Do you need a reminder of the Bolts series? The way Maurice switched up the lines in game 5 would never have been done by Bruno. He probably wouldn’t have had the team earnestly practice for that possibility.

I’m not emotional in any way about it. He’s just not a good NHL coach, he’s maybe average at best.

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I’m not rooting for him to fail; in fact I was rooting for Nashville to beat the Canucks who I think are frauds.

Bruno had/has no ability to make adjustments. Do you need a reminder of the Bolts series? The way Maurice switched up the lines in game 5 would never have been done by Bruno. He probably wouldn’t have had the team earnestly practice for that possibility.

I’m not emotional in any way about it. He’s just not a good NHL coach, he’s maybe average at best.
I do remember, a guy who never coached at any level thrown into the fire. Expectations by our fanbase were sky high, for the first time in 20 years.

He also coached the team to its first playoff series win in 20 years. Was he then outclassed by Cooper and the eventual cup finalists? Yes.

Was it some complete, abysmal failure? Not really.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I do remember, a guy who never coached at any level thrown into the fire. Expectations by our fanbase were sky high, for the first time in 20 years.

He also coached the team to its first playoff series win in 20 years. Was he then outclassed by Cooper and the eventual cup finalists? Yes.

Was it some complete, abysmal failure? Not really.
Have I stated he’s a complete, abysmal failure? No, I haven’t. I’m only reacting to him being an award candidate for coach of the year. Knoblaugh or Montgomery or even Maurice would be better choices.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Flounder is pretty bad during games. I don’t think he will ever get to the conference championship and never miid the cup finals.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Bruno probably improved a lot after his mistakes here, just like Deboer did.

It's all irrelevant now though. Pomo is him.

Maurice.jpg

• Love
Reactions: BabyBennettov

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
As long as PoMo has the buy in and support of Tkachuk and Barkov, PoMo will be fine.

He demands are a hard game that can wear on players, but if your 2 best players do it, everyone else will fall in line
I’m shocked that you left off Ek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad