HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Ya they sure showed him. No better use of a roster spot, 5MM and a 1st and 3rd then to make MB upset. Huge win for the Canes.

In reality, they swapped Trochek for KK, a 1st and a 3rd. It's as bad a deal as MB ever made and could be the difference between them winning a Cup and just being regular season hero's. Total fail, and here they are with the corpse of Jordan Staal as their #2 C right in their Cup window.
The offer sheet was an interesting move that failed to pay off, at least so far, because KK hasn't been very good. They whiffed on the player, but succeeded in getting Bergevin to panic and make other stupid moves. Considering their owner's posturing in the media I think a lot of his thinking was ego flapping rather than asset management. They got to point and laugh.

The Canes clearly made a mistake letting Trochek go, and they were banking on Kotkaniemi stepping up, but, like MB, they had the option of not making additional bad moves after the first one. They had cap issues, but, at least in hindsight, they would have been better off solving them in different ways and letting KK walk after the first year.

With luck Engstrom will be the best player to come out of the whole deal. We'll see how Geekie turns out for the Salt Lake City whatevers and how Bystedt works out for San Jose.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakobsbror

WG

Sep 9, 2008
The offer sheet was more a swipe at Bergevin than anything else. If KK had adapted to a better team and shown more potential it would have been a complete win, but, even with KK somewhat overpaid and underperforming they got the complete Bergevin meltdown they wanted. The offer sheet strongly contributed to Bergevin's worst offseason in his tenure, and, quite possibly, one of the worst offseasons of any team ever. Maybe not bottom 5, there have been some pretty bad moves over the years, but considering the number of moves and the consistency with which those moves failed I'd say probably bottom 10 or bottom 20. The damage is still ongoing and much of it was unnecessary.
Offseason 2021 Bergevin looks like Sam Pollock compared to Offseason 2017 Bergevin. How MB survived that vomitous gong show effort I will never know. Since it obviously bears repeating...

-Traded Sergachev for Drouin, immediately gives JD an easy peasy 6 x 5.5M contract
-Traded for David Schlemko as part of revamping the entire LD group
-Extended Price 8 X 10.5M
-Signed Alzner 5 x 4.5M
-Markov and Radulov gone, as they were not good dogs
-Not a problem though, Habs signed Streit and Hemsky, they can certainly cover the loss of Markov and Radulov
-Started season with about 8M in cap space and finished the season 4th worst in the NHL.

And this came on the heels of his epic King/Ott/Martinsen trade deadline in Feb 2017.

Just terrible. If you asked Mike Milbury to come in and deliberately ruin the team he couldn't have done better.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That would be Carolina or Edmonton fans.
I cheer for the oil as well as the Habs so I wouldn't be able to see it. Carolina fans are alright IMO

Canes fans in the KK thread before the playoffs were mocking us that KK would get more points than any Hab in this playoff. Doesn't look that way right now.
Hardly playing any more minutes

Evander off ice drama, playoff edition.

Geez. Legitimate psycho

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The offer sheet was an interesting move that failed to pay off, at least so far, because KK hasn't been very good. They whiffed on the player, but succeeded in getting Bergevin to panic and make other stupid moves. Considering their owner's posturing in the media I think a lot of his thinking was ego flapping rather than asset management. They got to point and laugh.

The Canes clearly made a mistake letting Trochek go, and they were banking on Kotkaniemi stepping up, but, like MB, they had the option of not making additional bad moves after the first one. They had cap issues, but, at least in hindsight, they would have been better off solving them in different ways and letting KK walk after the first year.

With luck Engstrom will be the best player to come out of the whole deal. We'll see how Geekie turns out for the Salt Lake City whatevers and how Bystedt works out for San Jose.

Montreal's terrible off-season was due to Price & Weber retiring rather than anything having to do with KK.

The only move Montreal did due to that was trade for Dvorak, which was a bad move.

The Carolina situation had little to do with that summer. Weber, Price, Byron, Edmundson were all hurt. Danault & Tatar left as UFAs. KK left after all of that had already occurred.

He should have rebuilt that summer, but he didn't because he definitely thought Price was coming back. Price reported to camp then went into NHL player assistance program forcing Montreal to pick Montembeault off waivers. Price essentially retired after that season.

The Mailloux pick, the terrible start that Bergevin kept doubling down on (I believe in this team crap), the fact Montreal was getting worse during his tenure all led to his firing.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Montreal's terrible off-season was due to Price & Weber retiring rather than anything having to do with KK.

The only move Montreal did due to that was trade for Dvorak, which was a bad move.

The Carolina situation had little to do with that summer. Weber, Price, Byron, Edmundson were all hurt. Danault & Tatar left as UFAs. KK left after all of that had already occurred.

He should have rebuilt that summer, but he didn't because he definitely thought Price was coming back. Price reported to camp then went into NHL player assistance program forcing Montreal to pick Montembeault off waivers. Price essentially retired after that season.

The Mailloux pick, the terrible start that Bergevin kept doubling down on (I believe in this team crap), the fact Montreal was getting worse during his tenure all led to his firing.

Don’t forget the gem of extending Armia that summer.

Then there’s the Hoff…

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Hmmm guessing I was wrong along with others about Florida easily beating the Bruins
Not going to win without scoring on the pp against the Bruins in the last 6 playoff games against them.

I like Jim Montgomery so I have no issues with his team winning.
It's still the Bruins and are dirty as ever. Not cheering for this scum team. I am likely done on this board till the Bruins are out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad