Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's pretty clear no matter who the Leafs hired everyone would shit on it. And if they didn't fire Keefe, people would shit on them. We all know it doesn't matter what the Leafs do, there is a large subset of people here, both Leafs fans and otherwise that will always find a way to talk shit. They hold the Leafs to an unattainable standard. We all know if the Leafs won a cup the first thing those fans would say is, "ya but let's see you do it again".

I didn't mind Keefe, but a change was needed. Excited to see what happens next season.

Leaf fans as victims is such a tiresome trope.

The League is out to get them; the referees are against them; the Department of Player Safety is against them; the Commissioner doesn't want them to succeed and all of HF Boards shits on them.

Poor Leaf fans! What's next?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I still can’t believe it took the Leaf’s so long to can Keefe. Everyone and their grandmother knew that he couldn’t coach to win in the playoffs. No doubt that Treliving knew it too. Treliving deserves a lot of criticism for essentially throwing away an entire year of Maple Leaf’s Hockey when he knew it would have never worked. Trelivings best skill as a GM is prolonging his stay, no doubt that he kept Keefe on to have another bullet in the chamber. Great for Tre, bad for the Leaf’s core who’s having their potential completely wasted year after year.
Third coach may be the charm then? Will Berube be the guy that finally gets them to understand how to win in the playoffs or will they flame out again in the first round?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This has all the makings of Tortorella to the Canucks in 2014, and I am 100% here for the wreckage :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: MaWa

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Third coach may be the charm then? Will Berube be the guy that finally gets them to understand how to win in the playoffs or will they flame out again in the first round?
Tough to say really. Willy’s fine but soft. I think Auston has another level to hit still, if he can ever get over the performance anxiety of playing in Toronto. Marner doesn’t have the playoff genes, he is what he is. And Tavares is so regressed there’s probably no coach saving him.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

The League is out to get them; the referees are against them; the Department of Player Safety is against them; the Commissioner doesn't want them to succeed and all of HF Boards shits on them.

I'm guessing it's mockery from online forums. :laugh:

But seriously, you've got it all wrong. If the league was actively against the Leafs, it's working. That would imply competent people run the league which we all know is false!

Logic wins the day.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

I am not a victim. I think you are referring to a different poster.

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Again, doubtful, I agree that they are great players, but a lot of teams gave players that people love playing against - and with.

If you're not a Leafs fan you won't get the reference and are taking it too literally.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Unless the roster imbalance is changed up, this is equivalent to switching captains on the Titanic.

Yikes.
Hard to make the needed change when the top guys all have full no moves. Change to the core won’t happen until summer 2025. So Berube will need to work with this core. Hopefully they all buy in to what he’s preaching.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
"Coach Berube, we noticed Marner sitting at the end of the bench crying, what's going on there"

"Well I don't know, I just told him to take a hit to make a play and he burst into tears.."
If Berube is a coach that expects his players to take hits to make plays then Mitch Marner is in a world of trouble lol.

..."but Chief, i let the non skilled guys battle for the puck and with my incredible hockey IQ I predict where the puck will squirt out and I grab the loose puck. Everybody knows how much I care!"

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Their defense still sucks.

None of that other stuff was ever the problem.

Their D corps is like the Rangers D corps, hold the Adam Fox.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
qiGDnS5.gif

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad