Kraken 2024 draft

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I were to guess the 3 most likely players we would be interested in AND are available at 8:

- Dickinson
- Helenius
- NBN

I wish it would be MBN, who I think has a higher ceiling than most give him credit for. But with Francis I think Dickinson really does seem to be his type - very solid and high rated.

And I have no issue with either but I would rather have someone like Catton, Senneke, Parekh, etc. Someone with the upside to be a game changing player for us down the road.

Sennecke is my personal top choice of anyone who might be at our pick, huge upside. Catton and Parekh have huge upside but more injury risk, and Yakemchuk huge upside but a lot of technical development needed.

So yes, basically we need huge upside. Take a big swing Ron!

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
What in the actual f*** does this even mean? Yes, I’m VERY drunk and in Vegas but I feel like that doesn’t matter for this. What the f***.
It's all just PR crap to try to make people believe their behind closed doors "lottery" isn't actually Bettman just placing the top picks wherever they will financially benefit the league the most.

• Haha
Reactions: RainyCityHockey

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I have liked Yakemchuk for a while and have no issues with him. Not quite sold on Eiserman yet.
Maybe I have been watching his highlight reels too often. What a shot, what a release, what accuracy. He has only one skill, but it is pretty much the skill to have, and he has it in spades. A risk for sure, but if he is capable of learning some defense, what a force he could be

Anyways, maybe we don't even draft at #8 and use the pick to trade for a guy like Marner.
Bite your tongue.

• Haha
Reactions: RainyCityHockey

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I would probably be more surprised if Francis trades the pick.

I would be too.
Though, listening to Francis at the end of season interview and having him fire Hakstol tells me there's some pressure.

Personally I'd try and trade next years pick(top ten protected) if there was ever a trade for a high end player but you've got to give to get.
Bite your tongue.

Nah. :razz:

BTW: Here's my current top seven list/mock draft as of May 9th, 2024.

1) San Jose - Macklin Celebrini(who would've thought)
2) Chicago - Ivan Demidov
3) Anaheim - Artyom Levshunov
4) Columbus - Cayden Lindstrom
5) Monteal - Zeev Buium
6) Utah - Zayne Parekh
7) Ottawa - Sam Dickinson

That would leave the Kraken with the following options.

Defense - Anton Silayev, Carter Yakemchuk, Adam Jiricek
Forward - Berkley Catton, Cole Eiserman, Konsta Helenius, Tij Iginla, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard, Beckett Sennecke etc.

If that top seven were to happen I think yo probably go forward at #8.
At least unless you really love the size and skating of Silayev and think he can become a dominant shutdown defender.

My preferred guy, out of the ones I mentioned, would be Catton, followed by Iginla and Eiserman.

Catton, potentially, has the whole package but injury concerns. Iginla has come along quite well and for all the flack he gets, Eiserman still just keeps on scoring and that's really hard to find as Kraken fans should know by now.

Also, if any of my top seven does fall to #8 you take him, IMO, even though Dickinson screems 2nd pairing/solid guy to me.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd flip three and four (doesn't Anaheim already have defensive prospects lined up like 747s on a runway ready to take off), but otherwise this seems very possible, as these things go. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but I would love some GM to remove whatever inclination RF might have to pick Dickinson. If you are right, my preferences would be either Sennecke or Silayev.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd flip three and four (doesn't Anaheim already have defensive prospects lined up like 747s on a runway ready to take off), but otherwise this seems very possible, as these things go. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but I would love some GM to remove whatever inclination RF might have to pick Dickinson. If you are right, my preferences would be either Sennecke or Silayev.
My stupid gut keeps telling me that Francis will go for a NHL "ready" player if possible. Silayev would fall in that category but has a KHL contract. I think MBN and Helenius are likely to be top of that list and still be available. Catton, Senneke who are the two forwards I would prefer at our spot require some time to develop and likely won't be NHL ready for 1-2 more seasons. Dickinson would fall somewhere in the middle there.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have a sneaking suspicion we’re going to end up with either the bust or the steal of the first round.
I think that would imply that Francis takes a home run swing. I really wish he would do so because we have Beniers, Wright as two relatively "safe" players on the team already. We need more elite offensive skill to build around them which means it would be a "risky" pick at 8. To me, Catton or Senneke seem like the way to go. Senneke is less consistent (till the playoffs, anyway) but is taller and could likely end up being more of a power-forward type. From a high-end playmaking perspective, I don't think there are any forwards who are as good at making passes as Catton is.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I keep seeing it opined that Marner coming here makes sense, and it makes me uneasy every time. I know, I know-- ownership wants a superstar in order to accelerate "relevance", and the fact is he's extremely talented and productive during the season. He may even be better defensively than he's given credit for. And I'm sure he'd love to do his thing here in the states, where death threats and public harassment won't be a thing.

Despite all that, I just don't love the player. Especially for 10M a year (if TO retains as speculated); that is a serious hitching of the wagon to one guy. And that doesn't include what we'd have to send back!

Keep the pick and stick to building from within.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I keep seeing it opined that Marner coming here makes sense, and it makes me uneasy every time. I know, I know-- ownership wants a superstar in order to accelerate "relevance", and the fact is he's extremely talented and productive during the season. He may even be better defensively than he's given credit for. And I'm sure he'd love to do his thing here in the states, where death threats and public harassment won't be a thing.

Despite all that, I just don't love the player. Especially for 10M a year (if TO retains as speculated); that is a serious hitching of the wagon to one guy. And that doesn't include what we'd have to send back!

Keep the pick and stick to building from within.
The $ is the only question for me to be honest. With his age, I don't think a 7/8 year contract is a problem but 10M a year is a big commitment for a team. I do think 10M is a pretty fair deal for someone his calibre but does that set a precedent in the team for expectations of our own players?

And I am asking this as someone who has not seen that much of Guentzel or Reinhart but how do they compare to Marner. If Marner leagues above them? If we can get Guentzel or Reinhart for 8-9M would they be a better fit even though they are older?

I am all for signing UFA's instead of giving up assets for Marner if they are close to the same level as him.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
The $ is the only question for me to be honest. With his age, I don't think a 7/8 year contract is a problem but 10M a year is a big commitment for a team. I do think 10M is a pretty fair deal for someone his calibre but does that set a precedent in the team for expectations of our own players?

And I am asking this as someone who has not seen that much of Guentzel or Reinhart but how do they compare to Marner. If Marner leagues above them? If we can get Guentzel or Reinhart for 8-9M would they be a better fit even though they are older?

I am all for signing UFA's instead of giving up assets for Marner if they are close to the same level as him.

I guess it depends upon how much Guentzel and Reinhart will command for their what will be their big veteran deal. At under 9M per year I think I'd rather have either than Marner. Reinhart somehow scored 57!? goals this year but surely that's an outlier.

All three are 28-30 goal guys pretty consistently. Marner has had the higher point ceiling the past few years but some of that has to be due to playing with Mathews. He's silky as hell but too soft for my liking.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
These guys add a strong note of caution to the Sennecke speculation. They certainly make some points worth considering,

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would be too.
Though, listening to Francis at the end of season interview and having him fire Hakstol tells me there's some pressure.

Personally I'd try and trade next years pick(top ten protected) if there was ever a trade for a high end player but you've got to give to get.

Nah. :razz:

BTW: Here's my current top seven list/mock draft as of May 9th, 2024.

1) San Jose - Macklin Celebrini(who would've thought)
2) Chicago - Ivan Demidov
3) Anaheim - Artyom Levshunov
4) Columbus - Cayden Lindstrom
5) Monteal - Zeev Buium
6) Utah - Zayne Parekh
7) Ottawa - Sam Dickinson

That would leave the Kraken with the following options.

Defense - Anton Silayev, Carter Yakemchuk, Adam Jiricek
Forward - Berkley Catton, Cole Eiserman, Konsta Helenius, Tij Iginla, Michael Brandsegg-Nygaard, Beckett Sennecke etc.

If that top seven were to happen I think yo probably go forward at #8.
At least unless you really love the size and skating of Silayev and think he can become a dominant shutdown defender.

My preferred guy, out of the ones I mentioned, would be Catton, followed by Iginla and Eiserman.

Catton, potentially, has the whole package but injury concerns. Iginla has come along quite well and for all the flack he gets, Eiserman still just keeps on scoring and that's really hard to find as Kraken fans should know by now.

Also, if any of my top seven does fall to #8 you take him, IMO, even though Dickinson screems 2nd pairing/solid guy to me.

FWIW - Kent Hughes in Montreal has flat out said that they're not taking an LD. The assumption among Habs fans is that they'll take a forward. The debate is largely about who they should take if Demidov and Lindstrom are off the board, and Sennecke and Iginla are the main names that come up, especially Sennecke because the Habs brass really values size.

And Verbeek in Anaheim has said they're focused on getting RD. They have Luneau and Warren coming up at RD so maybe that comment is more about getting veteran RD, it's not as obvious.

As for your choices @RainyCityHockey, I don't think we even consider Eiserman. I think there's serious bust risk there with his decision making. Catton it's all about health risk, it's hard to say from here how strong he'll be able to get. Iginla does feel like the safest best option in that group.

If we have only a slight preference for Iginla at #8, do we see if Calgary wants to swap picks, assuming they have a much stronger preference for Iginla? We'd net a pick (a third?) and get someone on the same level.

Personally my favorites in your scenario are Sennecke and then MBN.

My stupid gut keeps telling me that Francis will go for a NHL "ready" player if possible. Silayev would fall in that category but has a KHL contract. I think MBN and Helenius are likely to be top of that list and still be available. Catton, Senneke who are the two forwards I would prefer at our spot require some time to develop and likely won't be NHL ready for 1-2 more seasons. Dickinson would fall somewhere in the middle there.

I think Dickinson is very close to ready - he'd be one of the best skaters on any team right now. Though I don't get why you'd especially want to add teenagers to a lineup, so like you I hope that is not a priority.

My other club, the Jackets, have a much worse problem with rushing prospects, I don't think the Kraken have been guilty of it yet. So maybe these fears aren't justified.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Carter Yakemchuk has incredible upside. I pushed him down my list because of concerns about his defensive skating and defensive decision making, and I haven't seen any games of his from 2024. But going by what @19Simon19 is telling us here, Yakemchuk made good progress. I'm now thinking, again, that he should go in the middle of the top 10, and likely be our best option at #8.

This is a guy who can lead our PP and score a ton of goals on it, be a great breakout passer, a premier shutdown force in our end (I'm still cautious about his rush defense in the neutral zone), and beat the crap out of opponents from time to time. I watched a lot of Cayden Lindstrom and there was one guy, Yakemchuk, who would just manhandle him and shut him down. I think our fans would love him.

Reactions: 19Simon19

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
As for your choices @RainyCityHockey, I don't think we even consider Eiserman. I think there's serious bust risk there with his decision making. Catton it's all about health risk, it's hard to say from here how strong he'll be able to get. Iginla does feel like the safest best option in that group.

If we have only a slight preference for Iginla at #8, do we see if Calgary wants to swap picks, assuming they have a much stronger preference for Iginla? We'd net a pick (a third?) and get someone on the same level.

Personally my favorites in your scenario are Sennecke and then MBN.

Well, he's got that one tool everyone's looking at.
Though, he seems to lack a bit too much in almost every other part of the game.

My preferred choice(unless there's a defensemen we really want at #8) would be Berkly Catton.
I get the injury concerns(because he's slighter and had an injury in juniors) but to me he's just a pretty high ceiling and could be a line driving forward(wether that's center or winger) like no one in our system.

Sennecke seems to be a bit of you hype guy and MBN screems 2nd line(or even just middle six) winger to me and that's not what I'm looking for with the #8 OVR pick.

BTW: I'll just throw in a video of the guy I like(Catton). Seems to be the thing to do in the thread. :laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sennecke seems to be a bit of you hype guy

I'm not sure if you meant to say "you hype guy" but that is a funny way of putting it.

It's not just me - on Bob's list that just came out a few days ago, Sennecke got 3/10 top ten votes and 1/10 top five vote. The rest haven't moved him up yet, but that's normal this time of year for scouts to gradually catch up on video. That's how Jake Sanderson ended up moving up ten spots even after all the hockey was done being played.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm not sure if you meant to say "you hype guy" but that is a funny way of putting it.

It's not just me - on Bob's list that just came out a few days ago, Sennecke got 3/10 top ten votes and 1/10 top five vote. The rest haven't moved him up yet, but that's normal this time of year for scouts to gradually catch up on video. That's how Jake Sanderson ended up moving up ten spots even after all the hockey was done being played.

Surr,but you hype up the guy quite a bit.
He's still only 14th on the Bobfathers list that you posted.

I just like the skillset of Catton as he brings something we don't really have.

Though, overall we're all just some armchair scouts looking at youtube videos and talking about that stuff. ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I might as well share here a few bits of info that I'm picking up from various draft threads, to game out who might be available to us at #8.

San Jose - Celebrini

Chicago - no insider info, one of Levshunov, Lindstrom, or Demidov.

Anaheim - connected media think they'll take a D, Levshunov or Silayev.

Columbus - Silayev said CBJ and Utah were the most interested. If Demidov is off the board I think they'll take Lindstrom or Silayev.

Montreal - They say to prepare for Sennecke or Iginla at #5 if the top three forwards are off the board. It will be a forward, ideally a big one.

Arizona - Bill Armstrong obsesses over size. At the same time they need a future PP QB.

Ottawa - Ottawa FO say they're looking for hockey IQ and character.

FWIW, the annual team board mock draft will land on Seattle next. We'll have a choice of Catton, Yakemchuk, Dickinson, Parekh, Sennecke, Helenius, MBN, etc... At the moment I would vote for Yakemchuk. It will be interesting to see everyone's favorites among that group.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sounds like Yakemchuk fits Arizona very well. And maybe Helenius for Ottawa. He seems a character guy.

If those are the poll choices, I'd vote Parekh. Any of the D would make me happy, though. I can't see a big, mean right-handed D falling to #8, but Yakemchuk would be my second choice. And though I am not a big fan, Dickinson would represent very good value in our spot. I'm not sold on any of the potential forwards on that list, especially with those D available.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Senneke and Catton both should be excellent choices at our pick. It really comes down to what you are looking for in a prospect. Catton has one of the highest end playmaking, if not the highest, in this draft. Senneke is a bigger kid who could potentially become a PF type and is more of a goal scorer. The fact that Catton has elite playmaking certainly makes me lean more towards drafting him. Someone like him could be a perfect compliment to Wright.

I don't think any of the D is a bad choice for us. I would prefer someone with higher-end offense so I am warm on Silayev but Silayev has the highest ceiling IF he can develop even a good offensive game. He does not need to be Parekh, Buium or Levshunov on offense but even a Dickinson-lite offense would be more than enough to go with his elite defensive skills.

I was looking to vote for Catton if he makes it to us in the team mock draft.

Reactions: majormajor

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Senneke and Catton both should be excellent choices at our pick. It really comes down to what you are looking for in a prospect. Catton has one of the highest end playmaking, if not the highest, in this draft. Senneke is a bigger kid who could potentially become a PF type and is more of a goal scorer. The fact that Catton has elite playmaking certainly makes me lean more towards drafting him. Someone like him could be a perfect compliment to Wright.

I don't think any of the D is a bad choice for us. I would prefer someone with higher-end offense so I am warm on Silayev but Silayev has the highest ceiling IF he can develop even a good offensive game. He does not need to be Parekh, Buium or Levshunov on offense but even a Dickinson-lite offense would be more than enough to go with his elite defensive skills.

I was looking to vote for Catton if he makes it to us in the team mock draft.
I'd absolutely love Silayev, but Ottawa, now picking in the HF mock draft, is currently gobbling him up to the tune of 50%. In real life, I don't think he gets past #5. I certainly wouldn't sulk if we draft Catton at #8 as he is so skilled, but his size and potential for injury continue to bother me. Too many scouting reports are raising questions about Sennecke's meteoric rise up the charts to make me comfortable with him anymore.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Corey Pronman just released his newest mock draft over at the Athletic(behind paywall).

1) San Jose - Maklin Celebrini
2) Chicago - Artyom Levshunov
3) Anaheim - Anton Silayev
4) Columbus - Sam Dickinson
5) Montreal - Ivan Demidov
6) Utah - Cayden Lindstrom
7) Ottawa - Zayne Parekh
8) Seattle - Zeev Buium
9) Calgary Flames - Konsta Helenius
10) New Jersey - Beckett Sennecke

I wouldn't mind that outcome.....

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Corey Pronman just released his newest mock draft over at the Athletic(behind paywall).

1) San Jose - Maklin Celebrini
2) Chicago - Artyom Levshunov
3) Anaheim - Anton Silayev
4) Columbus - Sam Dickinson
5) Montreal - Ivan Demidov
6) Utah - Cayden Lindstrom
7) Ottawa - Zayne Parekh
8) Seattle - Zeev Buium
9) Calgary Flames - Konsta Helenius
10) New Jersey - Beckett Sennecke

I wouldn't mind that outcome.....

That’s my fave option. Bring it!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Buium, yes, please. Pretty please, even.

Would Calgary really pass on Iginla? I think that would be a real controversial thing to do, especially if they are going to pick a forward anyway. How would they justify that to their fans? I mean, fans aren't normally a consideration, but in this case I think passing on Iginla to pick Helenius would be seen as a betrayal that a lot of Flames fans would take very personally.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad