Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Less than 40%

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • More than 70%

Votes: 31 13.8%

• Total voters

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Let’s hope JT continues to play well and some GM will get trick into giving up good assets for him.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Can’t imagine any other team giving up assets for him but we can dream.
And the leafs won’t offer a 35 year old Tavares a contract after next year either.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can’t imagine any other team giving up assets for him but we can dream.
And the leafs won’t offer a 35 year old Tavares a contract after next year either.
Utah or Hawks. Then they will trade him at TDL to recoup those assets.
I would do it if I am their GMs

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I think it’s awesome he has his family with him over there… his 2 sons particularly must be thrilled watching their father play for Team Canada.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Reminder that he signed below market value and then a pandemic hit and the NHL/world handled it like morons.

A 30 g 65 pt c is probably 6.5 ish in cap.
In today’s 83.5. If the cap was 100 probably a few overpaid. But that’s part of it.

He was a ppg player until this year.

If he is staying I hope it’s 4-5 million
He didn't sign below market value - what was the market value at the time for 2Cs?

11M still isn't market value for average 2Cs.

He was over a ppg player once here, in his first year, and barely once since.

He's at best a slow 3C now. If he's staying, I hope it's no more than 2.5.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is silly. He was a 2 time hart finalist. He was an all star. You were expecting him to take 8.5? Stamkos had tax free market. He even said so himself.

There is no reason to suggest this number in a high tax city.
Most valuable player and all-star on a crappy team is damning with faint praise.

Leo Komarov was an all-star too, and not fan-voted like John Scott.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I don't know by how much Tavares is overpaid.

But of the four moolahs he's definitely the grossest. At his cap hit he's an anchor instead of an engine. He's weighing down the team.

I'm not surprised to see he's having a good World Championships.

These are the types of games in which Tavares thrives. No hit no hurt wide open pond hockey. I think it's a great idea he's playing in it too.

Maybe he can build some trade value up.

There's gotta be somebody out there that needs to hit the cap floor. Having Captain Boat Anchor on the team would sure help with that. Recently fresh off a gold medal performance would make him more marketable too.

The guy's a winner.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
How worn out is this thread?
Not a chance… most likely, John Tavares is going to be Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs next season and Captain of the Leafs during a team friendly 3 year extension.

The usual suspects will continue coming to this thread everyday to whine and complain about Captain John Tavares all through next season.

The thread will wear out when they continue bashing JT as he takes a huge discount to retire a Maple Leaf.

• Haha
Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
EvolvingHockey has him projected at 3x7M if he was a UFA this summer - basically the Giroux deal+inflation.
unless he played 87 games this yesr with an injury, 7M x 3 will be a gross overpayment

He couldnt skate, stick handle at a top 6C level.

His shot declined, his ability to jam pucks home on feeds on PP fell off

He out up 2 pts in 7 games in the playoffs.

Depends how he does this upcoming year, but another 60ish pt season and he should not get more than 5M x 3.

And I hope he isnt getting that with us

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
unless he played 87 games this yesr with an injury, 7M x 3 will be a gross overpayment

He couldnt skate, stick handle at a top 6C level.

His shot declined, his ability to jam pucks home on feeds on PP fell off

He out up 2 pts in 7 games in the playoffs.

Depends how he does this upcoming year, but another 60ish pt season and he should not get more than 5M x 3.

And I hope he isnt getting that with us
I wouldn't pay him 7Mx3 but Giroux got 6.5Mx3 at the same age, coming off a 65 point season as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad