Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Gibson and Gudas for Chychrun and Korpisalo
So, we get a goalie almost as bad as Korpisalo but with a worse contract, and a good bottom 4 RHD?

I'd rather throw money at UFA RHD and target a goalie that's actually good...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have a feeling our D is going to massively change. Maybe only Sanderson and Chabot as the only returning top 6.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Well if Steve is going to make an impact trade on D like moving Chabot it's going to be soon.

If he's here past June he's here for a while yet I'd imagine.

Realistically Chychrun is the one going but I'm not sure it's the right call.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The second we trade Zub is the second we desperately need to acquire a guy like Zub
The only way I could see it make sense is if they acquire a RD for Chychrun and then sign someone like Tanev.

He’d technically be a great trade chip. The above seems unlikely to me though and I can’t see how you justify trading him in any other scenario.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
The second we trade Zub is the second we desperately need to acquire a guy like Zub

Haven’t seen those yet , can you link some of them, thanks.
"Artem Zub has been a steadying influence, but league executives believe teams will kick tires on him and, if Staios wants to make changes, then a trade will be an option."

Last deadline there was a lot of interest too. If we go for a big FA agent signing (Pesce for ex.) then perhaps we can move Zub to get assets (FA will cost cap don't get me wrong, but Zub has what 2 years left and will be due a raise).

Might have a chance at Tanev now that Green is here. I hope he wins the cup with Dallas so he might be up for signing here.

We aren't trading Zub without 2 new RHD.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So, we get a goalie almost as bad as Korpisalo but with a worse contract, and a good bottom 4 RHD?

I'd rather throw money at UFA RHD and target a goalie that's actually good...

I’m trying to find a realistic way to get rid of Korpisalo and his contract and add a pretty ideally fitting piece on D.

I think it would be tough to do that without attaching an asset to him.

Gibson has been in a tough spot on a horrible team. He has shown significantly more ability than Korpisalo in the past. I’d be gambling on him returning to that form. Could definitely blow up in my face.

Gudas would look great with Chabot IMO. He’d certainly add some of the snarl this team has been lacking.

I’m not confident in the sens ability to attract a good UFA D. I hope they can, but we have to be realistic. The type of guy they’re looking for is coveted by every team in the league.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I’m trying to find a realistic way to get rid of Korpisalo and his contract and add a pretty ideally fitting piece on D.

I think it would be tough to do that without attaching an asset to him.

Gibson has been in a tough spot on a horrible team. He has shown significantly more ability than Korpisalo in the past. I’d be gambling on him returning to that form. Could definitely blow up in my face.

Gudas would look great with Chabot IMO. He’d certainly add some of the snarl this team has been lacking.

I’m not confident in the sens ability to attract a good UFA D. I hope they can, but we have to be realistic. The type of guy they’re looking for is coveted by every team in the league.

He has too much term to attach an asset to. There is no reasonable asset that a team would ask for that we would give.

It would have to be a scenario like the Dubas/Murray one. A GM really likes the goalie and in turn we are able to dump the contract well below market value. Compare the cost of dumping Murray to BUF (7 for 15=1st round pick value?) to only having to give TOR a few mid round picks.

If we go after a really bad contract like Karlsson or Dubois then maybe we can dump him as part of that trade, but they isn't the same as just getting someone to take him because we don't get rid of the bad cap - we transfer it to the asset we acquire.

The lucky thing for Ottawa is that while his contract is bad, with the way the market is for goalies the bar is so low on what he would have to do to go from an awful value to a below average value. If he gives us 35 games at .900+, that is a good 1B in today's NHL. Is that a 4M with term goalie? Maybe not. But it's a 2.5M+ goalie in the current market.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
"Artem Zub has been a steadying influence, but league executives believe teams will kick tires on him and, if Staios wants to make changes, then a trade will be an option."

Last deadline there was a lot of interest too. If we go for a big FA agent signing (Pesce for ex.) then perhaps we can move Zub to get assets (FA will cost cap don't get me wrong, but Zub has what 2 years left and will be due a raise).

Might have a chance at Tanev now that Green is here. I hope he wins the cup with Dallas so he might be up for signing here.

We aren't trading Zub without 2 new RHD.
Yep, agree with the bolded. Losing Zub to get someone like Tanev (or another good RD) would leave us with just one good RD once again. It's a lateral move. We need two good RD and two good pairs. I’m not seeing the logic behind moving Zub unless they think they can land two good RD in the off season which I would be skeptical about. Hopefully it's just Garrioch talking out his arse.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Joseph is a lot like Hagelin all speed & nothing else, they need to increase their scoring in the bottom six & at the same time cut down on the goals against. They need to improve the bottom six & there are better options out there at a cheaper cost that are tougher. I would argue that I expect that Ostapchuk will someday be better than Joseph & is the kind of player they need in their lineup in the bottom six. He will bring speed, shot blocking, hitting, fighting, toughness, some goal scoring & has the ability to disrupt the other team while being a pain in the ass to play against & feared. It's almost the same arguement as with Brannstrom, he is a better D right now, but he is not what the Sens need, Kleven is what the Sens need on D given he has a lot of the same atributes as Ostapchuk, but will need a little time to develop further at the NHL level.
Joseph was very effective last year I'd love if they can add another. He scored 35 points in 72 games and was one of the only good penalty killers. Was worth every penny I don't agree with this take at all. Ostapchuk doesn't have close to the speed to create the offense Joseph did. He will be a useful bottom 6 player but will never create offense from defense out of nothing like Joseph.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have a feeling our D is going to massively change. Maybe only Sanderson and Chabot as the only returning top 6.
The idea of moving away from Zub is beyond laughable. They need 2 more of him. Just because other teams want him doesn't mean they are trading him because fat Bruce speculated about it. Actual top 4 RD are the hardest asset to aquire. Ofcourse other teams want him. Sens have to find a way to find atleast 1 more RD probably 2.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The idea of moving away from Zub is beyond laughable. They need 2 more of him. Just because other teams want him doesn't mean they are trading him because fat Bruce speculated about it. Actual top 4 RD are the hardest asset to aquire. Ofcourse other teams want him. Sens have to find a way to find atleast 1 more RD probably 2.
I’m not disagreeing with you, it’s just a feeling. I think Staios is dead set on Tanev, and I think he may go after Roy, Pesce.

Reactions: Duncstar

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
#assetmanagement

Zub for 1st+3rd

Sign Tanev for "free" to replace Zub.

Send 3rd to Edmonton for Codi Ceci.

EtEtc.
Tanev...34 yrs old, has played 82 games once, rarely plays over 60. I get it, he's a warrior. But his next contract will age horribly and quickly (and he won't be taking a 2 yr deal).

Staios needs to target younger RD and attempt to aquire them in a trade. Chychrun for Andersson (before July 1st when his M-NTC kicks in), pick(s) to Tampa for Darren Raddysh (the Lightning don't pick until the 5th round this year).

Sanderson - Andersson
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Raddysh
Hamonic/JBD

It's not sexy, but it's better and more balanced and gives the team 3 pairings that can make an outlet pass and take some heat off Korpi (unless he gets dealt to LAK for PLD...ugh 🤢).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad