Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille and Blake stay)

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
ah yes, the mysterious, but totally not suspicious, yet clearly obvious, but can't offend the sensitive souls of some, NAMELESS ILLNESS has returned!

Is it long this? short that? sudden this? SADS that? but of course, but of course...

it is always better to be baffled than to provide an answer that leads you to the dark web

So nameless illness it is!

As Richie says, hopefully the tonsils resolved this issue... if not, better plug in the A/C, i hear the earth is warming up and causing birds to go cuckoo and grown men to collapse

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Laferriere had two points in the playoffs where the leader was 5. The only players who outscored him were Kempe, Byfield, Kopitar, Doughty, Anderson, and Arvidsson.

Criticize putting him on the top line all you want, but there were a lot of underachievers who were bigger problems. With more committed to them (either in term and/or dollars).

I understand the ultimate issue/concern is the favoritism though. I just think he's not a great example, as he never gave up throughout the course of the season. He just needs experience to improve decision making.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Lol. Read what I said again. I'm looking at this from multiple angles and can'tfind a consistent reason for the bias some players get. If you know what it is, please by all means tell us.

The advanced stats support that Laf was one of the most ineffective forwards this year and he was given time on the top line to end the season, really only JAD was overall worse.

Even by the eye test he just wasn't much of anything other than a nice story.

I fail to see how even just looking at basic stats, how 23 points and a team worse -14 in 81 games earns any player time on the top line.

Keep in mind, you are looking at this from multiple angles....your multiple angles, is extremely limited though, your multiple angles ignores nearly 90% of everything, simply because we can't see it.

Even with what you do see, you are looking at it from a results oriented side, instead of process side, as long as his process is solid, which it was the entire season, then results, will come.

The only ones looking at basic stats, are the ones who don't watch the games.

Laf had very very good rookie season given, where he was drafted, etc, 3rd round pick, no one is expecting him to burn the world down, but he took a spot, and kept it, and was very efficient in it.

If you are asking why he was playing top line minutes, same reason Iafallo was I suppose, lines click in different ways.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I think Laf does get unfair criticisms when you have useless players like Lewis on the team dodging it all
my beef with laf is just that he's an "all show no go" kinda guy

yeah, he busts his ass, yeah he gets shots off, but he's like a volume shooter without the shooting skill. dude couldn't bury a puck to save his life for 3/4 of the season

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Been thinking about things for a few days after listening to a lot of podcasts:

Turcotte-Fox does not expect him to be a difference maker but hopes to be proved wrong. After watching him more he is shifty and has skill I just don't know if he can be physical enough.

Thomas-Bottom sixer who likely won't score at a the pace he showed. Thomas could be an asset in that bottom six though.

Byfield-Mystery weight loss each year has me a bit concerned, hope they figure it out.

I do wonder if Helenius and Lee (given their size) can sneak on to the team.

Fagemo-Fox seems to think he is one dimenesional (not his actual words) and that his shot on the pp can be neutralized at the NHL level. Kings pp seemes set in stone but maybe if RV moves on a spot will open.

I still think Spence will be blocked by Doughty and Clarke this year on the PP. Kings usually run 4 forwards and one dman. Hope he is ok waiting for DD to retire. Can't see the team playing him with DD or Clarke full time.

PLD needs to be on the wing. Square peg needs to be in a square hole.

Not sure what goalies are available honestly. Saros and Markstrom seem costly. I'm expecting another bargin bin season in goal until Portillo gets through another AHL season if they can't trade for an upgrade.

I don't want any UFA back at this point, play the youth. Can't see RV and Roy taking serious enough pay cuts to make it worth bringing them back.

I'd take Moverare over Englund. Don't think there is another d prospect close to grabbing Englund's spot.

Kopi should move down to #2 but I know I'm dreaming.

Lineup:

Dubois Byfield Kempe
Lafferriere Kopitar ???? (Fagemo or Turcotte maybe) (A more physical UFA power forward type)
Fiala Danault Moore
???? ???? ????

(Thomas, Turcotte, Fagemo, Helenius, Lee, A. Jamsen, some darkhorse propect?) (Doty)

Anderson Doughty
Gavrikov Clarke
???? Spence (A lesser known Edmundson type wouldn't surprise me)
Englund/Moverare

???? (Saros/Markstrom/Ulmark/Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen) - At what cost?

A.Talbot
B.Rittich
C. Copley

*Overall, I'm not expecting a ton of youth but I'd rather watch that than more of the same. Not sure LA feels the same with Kopi and Doughty on the clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telos

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
But then explain Durzi and Laf without the above logic starting to fail.

Durzi was a tirefire defensivley and was getting PK time.

Laf was killing every line offensively he was put on down the stretch, and saw his time increase.

There really is no pattern to it when you start closely analyzing the situations.
I agree, there are seemingly some rare exceptions to this rule of always going with the safe/responsible player over the risky/higher upside player.. But I think even the two exceptions you mentioned can be explained by other factors.

In Laferriere's case, I honestly think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he earned the respect/admiration of the coaches by dropping the gloves a couple times in his first 5-10 games (including in this first game). I also think Laferriere is a player who adopted the Kings system well and seemed to play with generally less risk to his game. Also, you mention it in your reply: 'he was killing lines offensively' - That's the thing, that doesn't matter to Kings management/coaching with their current philosophy. To the current regime, it doesn't matter if you're dead weight offensively, as long as you're adhering to their system / semi-responsible defensively, you're in (especially if you've shown you aren't afraid to drop the gloves).
  • It's the same reason Englund was a staple even though he was seriously dragging down Spence... Englund played to their system and was the only player they could count on to fight somebody if needed
For Durzi, I think it more came down to necessity (Doughty injury + a lack of puck moving defensemen at the time). Durzi also showed he wasn't afraid to drop the gloves & stick up for teammates & had a bit of snarl to his game. Kings probably saw that as a positive that offset some of the defensive issues. But yeah in large part it was injury and lack of other options that explain the Durzi situation. As soon as they had other options they shipped him off to Arizona for a 2nd rounder.

Reactions: tigermask48

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Keep in mind, you are looking at this from multiple angles....your multiple angles, is extremely limited though, your multiple angles ignores nearly 90% of everything, simply because we can't see it.

Even with what you do see, you are looking at it from a results oriented side, instead of process side, as long as his process is solid, which it was the entire season, then results, will come.

The only ones looking at basic stats, are the ones who don't watch the games.

Laf had very very good rookie season given, where he was drafted, etc, 3rd round pick, no one is expecting him to burn the world down, but he took a spot, and kept it, and was very efficient in it.

If you are asking why he was playing top line minutes, same reason Iafallo was I suppose, lines click in different ways.
Lol. Nice to know you can mind read as one of your many many skills... yet you never have any answers other than "you're wrong".

• Haha
Reactions: tny760

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Lafferiere is the new Iafallo. Low ceiling, high floor, grabs his spot out of nowhere because plans A and B fell through. All that’s left is the 15 goals next to an overpaid center and this guy will secure a $16M bag from Rob Blake.
I think he has more offensive upside. his hands alone are better than AI's.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
That looks like an organization that's on it's way to becoming something similar to the Dallas Stars.
Bingo. Byfield, Vilardi, Faber, and Clarke leading the next-wave charge with plenty of assets to acquire a goalie if Portillo or Slukynsky don’t pan out. Plenty of talented vets still contributing solid minutes. Ugh.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Lafferiere is the new Iafallo. Low ceiling, high floor, grabs his spot out of nowhere because plans A and B fell through. All that’s left is the 15 goals next to an overpaid center and this guy will secure a $16M bag from Rob Blake.
out of foxy's mouth: "he has the skill of a 30 goal scorer"

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
In his first year Iafallo outscored Laffy by 2 points in less games. Pretty sure that wasn’t all on the first line. At the time, we all thought Al was just a step away from 20+ goals. Never happened.

out of foxy's mouth: "he has the skill of a 30 goal scorer"
His piercing eyes are there. But he doesn’t have the tan of an Iafallo.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tny760

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Lol. Nice to know you can mind read as one of your many many skills... yet you never have any answers other than "you're wrong".

Mind reading? It's common f***ing sense, you, me, the f***ing hot dog vendor can only see 10% of what's going on, unless you are telling me you attended every practice, video session, personal on ice session, strength session, the entire year, you tell me that, then sure you have a helluva lot more insight, but we both know you didn't.

If you are talking about results oriented vs process oriented, again, common sense, you made the crack that Laf kills offense on every line, the only way anyone comes to that conclusion is they are focused on results, not process.

My answer is not only are you f***ing wrong, is that you are clearly looking at the wrong shit when Laf plays, and then wonder why he gets more ice time etc. You know how I know you are wrong? Because he got more ice time, because there are little things he does that doesn't translate to "offense" there is a reason why he played vs Kaliyev, vs Fagemo, but I figure you wouldn't know why so why bother.

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think his shot is better than AI's

but all around offensive instincts? Nah. Just because he can dangle a guy or two at the blueline it makes him look visually more impressive than the results. His passing is iffy and if the game is doing anything but north-south-dump-check he's pretty much JAG.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Definitely agree. It feels like people forget he's still only 22 years old and this was his first year playing professional hockey - Not just first year in the NHL, first year playing professionally. Most players take a while (a season or two) to adjust to life as a pro hockey player. Just the fact that he was able to crack this lineup and play a full season is very impressive.

What we saw from Alex Laferriere this season wasn't his ceiling... It was his floor. So it's a bit ridiculous to label him as the next Iafallo in my opinion.

Personally, I see him as a 20 goal/50 point winger once he rounds out his game a little bit (as soon as next year potentially).

Reactions: LAKings88

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think his shot is better than AI's

but all around offensive instincts? Nah. Just because he can dangle a guy or two at the blueline it makes him look visually more impressive than the results. His passing is iffy and if the game is doing anything but north-south-dump-check he's pretty much JAG.
Laf has a shot. Al could grind in the corners. Austin Wagner skated like McDavid and scored 13g in a forgettable partial season under Willie D.

Moral of the story is that any scrub can shine as long as Rob Blake is in charge.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Laf has a shot. Al could grind in the corners. Austin Wagner skated like McDavid and scored 13g in a forgettable partial season under Willie D.

Moral of the story is that any scrub can shine as long as Rob Blake is in charge.
But why are we considering Laf a scrub?? His game this past season was unpolished especially on the defensive side but I feel like the potential was/is pretty clearly there - Especially throughout the first 10-20 games or so he was definitely showing flashes of high skill. Hell, there were some games earlier this season where he looked like our best forward at times (I remember a lot of us, myself included, were raving about how good he looked).

He's a first year pro... an unpolished game is to be expected. Why are we assuming we've seen all we need to see from a 22 year old rookie?? Why are we feeling the need to label the player as a 'scrub' or 'the next Iafallo'??

The guy was drafted in 2020 and just played 81 NHL games and 5 playoff games as a rookie... He very much still has more upside and the potential to improve/develop. There are plenty of NHL players around the league who don't reach their full potential until they're 23-25 years old.

Personally, I'm excited to see how Laf looks after another offseason to train & iron out some kinks in his game. I think he could be a legitimate option for the top 6 within the next year or two if he's able to improve a bit and show there's more production / offensive upside there. If he completely stagnates, sure.. He might end up being a similar kind of player as Iafallo. But there's also a chance he could have a similar development/career path as a guy like Troy Terry and could turn into a consistent 20+ goal scorer. Time will tell.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Mind reading? It's common f***ing sense, you, me, the f***ing hot dog vendor can only see 10% of what's going on, unless you are telling me you attended every practice, video session, personal on ice session, strength session, the entire year, you tell me that, then sure you have a helluva lot more insight, but we both know you didn't.

If you are talking about results oriented vs process oriented, again, common sense, you made the crack that Laf kills offense on every line, the only way anyone comes to that conclusion is they are focused on results, not process.

My answer is not only are you f***ing wrong, is that you are clearly looking at the wrong shit when Laf plays, and then wonder why he gets more ice time etc. You know how I know you are wrong? Because he got more ice time, because there are little things he does that doesn't translate to "offense" there is a reason why he played vs Kaliyev, vs Fagemo, but I figure you wouldn't know why so why bother.
In fairness to that poster we were told process doesnt matter when the team is trying to win now. Years of top picks pushed aside in favor of results in the moment. Which he did not provide.
But Im glad they let Laf play through it and wish they did for other guys before him. Maybe they are shifting their development outlook from here on out but I think he got the leash because he dropped the gloves early on and the Kings need all the toughness they can get.
I thought he looked good in the playoffs and Thomas would have also.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
But why are we considering Laf a scrub?? His game this past season was unpolished especially on the defensive side but I feel like the potential was/is pretty clearly there - Especially throughout the first 10-20 games or so he was definitely showing flashes of high skill. Hell, there were some games earlier this season where he looked like our best forward at times (I remember a lot of us, myself included, were raving about how good he looked).

He's a first year pro... an unpolished game is to be expected. Why are we assuming we've seen all we need to see from a 22 year old rookie?? Why are we feeling the need to label the player as a 'scrub' or 'the next Iafallo'??

The guy was drafted in 2020 and just played 81 NHL games and 5 playoff games as a rookie... He very much still has more upside and the potential to improve/develop. There are plenty of NHL players around the league who don't reach their full potential until they're 23-25 years old.

Personally, I'm excited to see how Laf looks after another offseason to train & iron out some kinks in his game. I think he could be a legitimate option for the top 6 within the next year or two if he's able to improve a bit and show there's more production / offensive upside there. If he completely stagnates, sure.. He might end up being a similar kind of player as Iafallo. But there's also a chance he could have a similar development/career path as a guy like Troy Terry and could turn into a consistent 20+ goal scorer. Time will tell.
I agree and despite his flaws if became AI mark 2 then that would not be a terrible thing (just needs to not be over paid).

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
In fairness to that poster we were told process doesnt matter when the team is trying to win now. Years of top picks pushed aside in favor of results in the moment. Which he did not provide.
But Im glad they let Laf play through it and wish they did for other guys before him. Maybe they are shifting their development outlook from here on out but I think he got the leash because he dropped the gloves early on and the Kings need all the toughness they can get.
I thought he looked good in the playoffs and Thomas would have also.

Kinda doubt they are shifting development outlook, Laf showed the hustle, grit, determination that it felt others were lacking, and I could be 100% deadwrong about that, but I believe they see Laf as the quintessential LA King player, and they don't see a sliver of that in Kaliyev or Fagemo

I agree and despite his flaws if became AI mark 2 then that would not be a terrible thing (just needs to not be over paid).

Anyone that pots 15 goals (I know LAF did not do that) just saying anyone that pots 15 goals is going to be overpaid at some point......that's just the reality of the game, show some pop, show some potential, we are gonna pay you for it.....and then fans...will bitch....now on the other hand, play your ass off for peanuts, win, get a shit ton of points etc, and get paid for past performance.....and fans are going to bitch.....

Moral of the story, fans are going to bitch

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
but I believe they see Laf as the quintessential LA King player, and they don't see a sliver of that in Kaliyev or Fagemo
If thats the case then why draft them? And try to turn them into fourth line grinders?
Or if you dont see it with them then trade them when their value is high instead of jerking them around until they are worth nothing.
Fagemo led the world juniors in scoring and Kaliyev had a great rookie year. If you werent going to let them play in the top six then they should have gotten some value back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad