Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
just looking at the best forwards on each of the remaining playoff teams. We'll leave Vegas out since they don't really have any homegrown players technically.

Florida- Tkachuk (not homegrown), Bennett (not homegrown), Barkov, Verhaege (not homegrown)
Rangers- Panarin (not homegrown), Zibanejad (not homegrown), Kreider, Trochek (not homegrown)
Dallas- Robertson, Pavelski (not homegrown), Hintz, Duchene (not homegrown)
Edmonton- McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman (not homegrown), RNH
Vancouver- JT Miller (not homegrown), Pettersson, Garland (not homegrown), Boeser
Carolina- Aho, Svech, Necas, Guentzel (not homegrown)

so really, Edmonton and Carolina are the only teams who have the majority of their top forwards all homegrown. I think that narrative doesn't really mean anything.
No Boston? Could lead to a fun Zacha vs Debrusk/Frederick debate.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
i’m worried they’re right but hopefully Fitz can do better than Markstrom if he’s willing to trade the pick
Would basically be an unprecedented return for a goalie of this age. I'd be surprised if this pick was ever on the table even during the season when there was a chance it could have been in the teens. If it was, I kind of think Markstrom would already be a devil.

It’s insanity. Some even 10 OA+.

I've started to see more Markstrom + Vancouver's first. I don't particularly love that deal either because I don't think you should have to part with an asset like 10OA for the likes of Markstrom, but at least I can see how the perceived value is balanced in that case.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Would basically be an unprecedented return for a goalie of this age. I'd be surprised if this pick was ever on the table even during the season when there was a chance it could have been in the teens. If it was, I kind of think Markstrom would already be a devil.
Yeah i think you’re right. I think it’s clear Fitz was attempting to add or swap goalies early on, but the cost was prohibitive for all the top guys and at some point he just had to make a change.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What did he say?
Well two years ago it was the "I'm just sick and tired of being on a bad team."

And this gem from this year...
"To be honest, I think it’s just having a coach that trusts you,” Wood said. “Having the confidence to make those plays and just picking the right time and space to try it. Jared (Bednar) has been huge in the fact that he lets his guys play. You still have to be smart with that, but I think it comes down to having a staff that trusts you and knows that you can make the plays. I think that’s the most important.”

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

"To be honest, I think it’s just having a coach that trusts you,” Wood said. “Having the confidence to make those plays and just picking the right time and space to try it. Jared (Bednar) has been huge in the fact that he lets his guys play. You still have to be smart with that, but I think it comes down to having a staff that trusts you and knows that you can make the plays. I think that’s the most important.”
In the scheme of things that's pretty mild in my view. Give them another season of him not scoring much and taking penalties and being inconsistent and it will be the same thing there. And then if the hip starts acting up he will be just as frustrated.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
In the scheme of things that's pretty mild in my view. Give them another season of him not scoring much and taking penalties and being inconsistent and it will be the same thing there. And then if the hip starts acting up he will be just as frustrated.
Yeah, I don't think he ever "trashed" the team. That's just all I remember because when he said he was sick and tired of being on a bad team all I could think of was yeah, we're sick of watching a terrible team too.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Miles Wood was just interviewed by Scott Van Pelt and he said the second he walked in the Avs room for the first time, you could feel the goal was a championship and not “just” make the playoffs, from the top down.
Meh. That’s easy when you show up to a fully mature team that has already won a championship. It’s not like he did anything to help them in that way.

Hollywood Nosebleed

Oct 10, 2014
Skipped the last few pages, but you do not trade 10 for a goalie unless they’re 26 and under. 10 could be a great player or solid cheap depth in 2 years when we’ll probably be contending. In todays NHL you’re shit out of luck unless you draft an elite goaltender, which is why I love us taking one every year. However, until then you’re on the goalie carousel of hoping to find an avg goalie that gets hot in the playoffs. Or in the unlikely scenario you find another Cory Schieder situation. If only Ulmark was 2-3 years younger Swayman might have been available. Also if Ottawa wants to be stupid and make Brady or Tim available I’d gladly trade 10 + . I don’t see any defenseman we need being available for that.

Reactions: Guadana and Oneiro

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Yet again a player praises his current team, coach, etc and the (very sensitive) board interprets it as shade about his former team (us).

IIRC Wood was asked about playing PK or having a bigger role defensively.

He’s talking about his new team, which he was excited about and wanted to praise.

We don’t even have the whole quote, but he doesn’t have to phrase it so everyone knows how he feels about the Devils, Ruff, etc, too because no one involved with the interview cares.

I remember when Zajac made a joke about fitting in Isles locker room, because they’re older, and then had to explain he wasn’t criticizing the Devils after Devils fan got all hurt over his joke.

When players leave they aren’t thinking about this team, they got a new job. The comments are about their new team. We’re the forgotten ex.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yet again a player praises his current team, coach, etc and the (very sensitive) board interprets it as shade about his former team (us).

He’s talking about his new team, which he was excited about and wanted to praise.

We don’t even have the whole quote, but he doesn’t have to phrase it so everyone knows how he feels about the Devils, Ruff, etc, too because no one involved with the interview cares.

I remember when Zajac made a joke about fitting in Isles locker room, because they’re older, and then had to explain he wasn’t criticizing the Devils after Devils fan got all hurt over his joke.

When players leave they aren’t thinking about this team, they got a new job. The comments are about their new team. We’re the forgotten ex.
You left out the part where he says “I can’t stand those jerks on HF. All those phony fans do is make fun of my IQ - and not my hockey IQ - and laugh when I accidentally on purpose run into the goalie and take offensive zone penalties. They are so last week and going to Colorado was as far way as I could get from them since the teams in Madagascar had no roster spots.”

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Miles Wood was just interviewed by Scott Van Pelt and he said the second he walked in the Avs room for the first time, you could feel the goal was a championship and not “just” make the playoffs, from the top down.
No shit Miles, they won a Cup two years ago. They learned how to win. It's not like they just woke up one day and suddenly knew though. They made the playoffs 4 straight years before winning one, not getting past the 2nd round in any of them. The Devils are basically where Colorado was in like 2018.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Skipped the last few pages, but you do not trade 10 for a goalie unless they’re 26 and under. 10 could be a great player or solid cheap depth in 2 years when we’ll probably be contending. In todays NHL you’re shit out of luck unless you draft an elite goaltender, which is why I love us taking one every year. However, until then you’re on the goalie carousel of hoping to find an avg goalie that gets hot in the playoffs. Or in the unlikely scenario you find another Cory Schieder situation. If only Ulmark was 2-3 years younger Swayman might have been available. Also if Ottawa wants to be stupid and make Brady or Tim available I’d gladly trade 10 + . I don’t see any defenseman we need being available for that.

Wouldn't much care if it weren't for the contract. If Saros were under contract for 5 more years, I'd be fine giving up #10 for his age 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 year old seasons.

But he's going to want that Helle / Sorokin deal where you're paying him until he's 36 or 37 years old or whatever at top of the market value.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I don't think he was wrong or trashing anyone...

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

When players leave if you don't hate em and don't understand how they even stand on their skates, let alone hold a hockey stick at the same time, you are pining over them. They can't merely be decent players in any regard who use to just play here. Dem da rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad