Are the Calgary Flames losing the next generation of fans in Alberta to the Edmonton Oilers?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Calgary Flames have done jack shit the last 2 decades, the Edmonton Oilers are kind of in the same boat.

But, now the Oilers have McDavid and Draisaitl leading the way and doing very good.

With the Oilers doing good and the Flames stuck in no man’s land, is it safe to say that the Calgary Flames are losing the next generation of fans in Alberta to the Edmonton Oilers?

The reason I say this is because I have seen soo many kids in Calgary wearing Edmonton Oilers jerseys, I went to pick up my son from school and a lot of kids had Edmonton Oilers Jerseys on top of uniforms and this is just a small sample I have seen.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Kids say and do the darnedest things.

True but if the trend stays the same(Flames in no man’s land and Oilers doing good), these kids will grow Edmonton Oilers fans.

Most of Alberta(outside Calgary) and Northern Canada are already Oilers fans. Who wants to cheer for the Flames, yuck.

They are converting to Oilers fans inside Calgary lol, kids wearing Oilers jerseys, bars giving 10% discount if you wear Oilers gear.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
True but if the trend stays the same(Flames in no man’s land and Oilers doing good), these kids will grow Edmonton Oilers fans.
Don’t you think as the kids grow they will learn to hate all that is Edmonton? It’s Calgary. They will learn.

Reactions: viper0220

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

They are converting to Oilers fans inside Calgary lol, kids wearing Oilers jerseys, bars giving 10% discount if you wear Oilers gear.
Interesting. Didn’t think I’d see it IN Calgary. But I guess it makes sense, do you want your childhood hero to be McDavid or… Huberdeau.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Don’t you think as the kids grow they will learn to hate all that is Edmonton? It’s Calgary. They will learn.

For that to happen the Flames need to get very good young players(a huge task), my own son wanted a McDavid jersey, I talked him out of it but his mom bought it for him :laugh:

Interesting. Didn’t think I’d see it IN Calgary. But I guess it makes sense, do you want your childhood hero to be McDavid or… Huberdeau.

It’s only fair we get Cale Makar.

Reactions: Macheteops

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Wait, bars in Calgary give people 10% discounts if they wear Oilers gear? WTH is that about…

I’m actually a little thrown by any NHL jersey getting someone a 10% discount at a bar but getting one for a rival city’s team’s jersey is just weird.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Wait, bars in Calgary give people 10% discounts if they wear Oilers gear? WTH is that about…

I’m actually a little thrown by any NHL jersey getting someone a 10% discount at a bar but getting one for a rival city’s team’s jersey is just weird.

l0% at the end of the night isn't bad.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Lmao! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I've lived in both Edmonton and Calgary (currently Calgary). OBVIOUSLY there are plenty of Oiler fans in Calgary, and Calgary fans in Edmonton. There are many transplants.

But Oilers growing significant base in Calgary / converting big numbers of existing Flames fans (or vice versa)? Hell would freeze over before that happened.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers have always had more fans. The dominant fanbase if you will. That’s what happens when you have a great franchise vs. a mediocre one.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Living in Alberta, Oiler fans definitely do outnumber flames fans. You may get the few odd flames fans up north, but there’s probably more Leaf, Habs, Canucks, even Bruins or wings fans even in that area. Even being in Calgary when flames are in playoffs the only buzz I’ve seen around here to compare to Edmonton was 2004. The Oilers just have more history and owned them in the 80s and early 90s. The battle of Alberta series in 2022 was just a reminder of it.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
People shouldn't be surprised at how large the Oilers fanbase is. They can go toe to toe with significant larger markets. Kind of like the Green Bay Packers in the NFL etc. Too much significant history in a shorter timeframe

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
By that logic Edmonton wouldn't have any fans left after being an embarrassment for 15 years.
Thing is Calgary was also very mediocre during this period. They had a lot of bandwagon fans after 2004 that kinda shifted to Oilers for 2006 during their run and then Oilers went down the tubes. Calgary was seen a talented team that couldn’t do anything in playoffs and then went to just battling for 9th every year.

There was nothing to keep fair weather fans interested from 2004. Hockey in Alberta was actually very dry during this period and you saw a lot of bandwagon Kings or Hawks fans. Oilers popularity exploded again with Mcdavid being drafted and new arena though almost died down again after Peter Chiarelli destroyed them but got steam again. Calgary has just always been the same and just kinda ummm there I guess…

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
People would be surprised how many Oilers fans are in the Calgary area. Or at least fans rooting for the Oilers. Especially in the towns around southern Alberta, most are Oilers fans.

Most of Alberta(outside Calgary) and Northern Canada are already Oilers fans. Who wants to cheer for the Flames, yuck.

This. Most Flames fans are the diehards who live in Calgary and are still living off the memories from the 03/04 run as if it was a couple years ago. 😁

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Outside of 2004, the Flames don't have that much of a fanbase.

When I lived in Calgary, I attended tons of Canucks/Flames games and the Canucks fans would cheer the loudest against the Flames fanbase.

That maybe a curse for the ownership of the Flames, trying to get that hype of them so they can go on a long run to re-create that 2004 playoff run. Probably the only time the Flames, from across the nation had a country cheering for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad