Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Colorado traded a well regarded prospect and 1st for Kuemper. It’s not like they didn’t spend at the position.

Golden Knights have continued to heavily invest in goaltending. They immediately re-signed Hill to a big contract. If they believed that it’s a position not worth spending on, they would have let him walk and gone the LA route.

Reactions: F A N

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Supposedly the best goalies in the league are up for Vezina every year. The issue as I see it, is that it seems often now that the best regular season goaltender, isn't often the guy hoisting the Cup at the end of the season.

Sometimes 'average' goaltenders get on a roll at the right time. Looking at the remaining teams in the Cup hunt this year, there's more than a few teams with visions of winning it all with average goaltenders.

Alexandr Georgiv in Coloardo; Jeff Skinner in Edmonton; Freddy Anderson in Carolina; even Sergei Bobrovsky in Florida. And Jeremy Swayman in Boston and Aiden Hill with Vegas; even Jake Oettinger in Dallas......they're decent NHL goalies at this point in their careers.....but great goalies? I don't think so.

At some point Silovs will falter. It happens to every guy between the pipes at one time or another. But I guess you ride a hot goalie as long as you can. And history shows, it can often be enough to reach the promised land.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Don't want to derail the thread too much but you're forgetting he was the brains behind the Boeser and Demko picks as well.

He was an expert in US scouting, particularly the NCAA guys.
I started off saying that I do think Brackett has an eye for talent so I'm not forgetting his contributions. I think the Demko pick was primarily due to Benning prioritizing the position. Regardless, Demko was the BGA. I don't think anyone here had it differently.

Losing the guy who was mostly responsible for bringing us Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser and Demko was a huge blow IMO.

I have not liked the Canucks drafting since he left (I didn't love the Podkolzin pick either to be fair).
I'm guessing you aren't one of the posters who thought Hughes was very much Benning/Weisbrod's pick (as well)?

I liked the Brackett drafts too but it doesn't change the fact that our later round picks haven't panned out. It's too bad the way things played out but it is what it is. Honestly, Brackett is in a better place (at this moment) - although as mentioned that too has changed in the last draft. He's not going to get the same "autonomy" under Jim and Allvin.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Colorado traded a well regarded prospect and 1st for Kuemper. It’s not like they didn’t spend at the position.

Golden Knights have continued to heavily invest in goaltending. They immediately re-signed Hill to a big contract. If they believed that it’s a position not worth spending on, they would have let him walk and gone the LA route.

Yep. And in the case of Vegas, McPhee has always invested in goaltending.

Thee Canucks have also consistently prioritized goaltending since Burke was fired.

For those who don't want to give credit to previous management for the Silovs pick, I note that Silovs was signed to an ELC a bit more than 2 months after being drafted.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I know it wasn't Benning (idiot) who made the call on this kid, but a nice find by whoever it was. Lots of late round goaltenders in the league starting or part of a good tandem. Look at Boston, Swayman was a 5th rounder and Ullmark was a 6th rounder. Connor Hellebuyck was a 5th rounder. Juuse Saros was a 4th rounder. Shesterkin was a 4th rounder. Logan Thompson in Vegas wasn't even drafted, I don't think? Hopefully they've got a good one with this kid.
Clark basically pushes for big goalies who had athletic ability. I think Clark over-rates his own ability to "teach structure to anyone", but I digress. You have to give him credit for this pick. He also said similar things about Tolipilo.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I feel like Colorado is the only cup winner in recent years that fits this theory though. And even then I think Kuempers play in that run is a bit underappreciated, he was playing quite well until he took a stick to the eye and after that he played fine with only an eye and a half. Every other other cup winner since 2018 has had either an elite goalie or a goalie on a total heater like Vegas with Hill last year. Goaltending is still the most important position imo and the better your goalie the better chance you have to win every game, very very few teams are as stacked or well built as the 2022 Avs.
The thing that is overlooked with the Vegas situation is that they had to have three guys who were all good enough to take on a significant load during the playoffs. In this aspect they got a little lucky IMO.

Thompson was undrafted and they basically developed him after his first year in the ECHL. He made the all-star game in 2022-2023 and was on the rise. So he took a lot of load off the other goalies.

Adin Hill was actually quite good for some mid Arizona teams and they signed him.

Brossoit was a middling Oilers prospect but those teams were an exercise in futility. After this, he was a good backup in Winnipeg, and Vegas signed him as a backup with mixed results. The next year he basically lost his job to Thompson/Hill.

Basically Thompson played 37 games (plus them trying out Quick for 10 games or so) so they had two fresh guys going into the playoffs who both had good stats. And you could argue that both of them were at the top of their NHL careers at that time. So they got lucky that both were good enough and rested enough.

Finally, you can't use this argument unless those goalies are behind a stacked defensive corps like Vegas had last season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Clark basically pushes for big goalies who had athletic ability. I think Clark over-rates his own ability to "teach structure to anyone", but I digress. You have to give him credit for this pick. He also said similar things about Tolipilo.

I agree. I would mention that we picked Dipietro (as he was BGA at 64 IMO) in the same draft as Swayman. I would also give credit to the GM. I think when it comes to drafting goaltenders, the GM has a lot of say. We saw in the behind the draft videos that the decision to draft Dipietro came once goalies were predicted to start being drafted. In another draft, Benning vetoed the idea of drafting another goalie. Of course we also have Burke who was openly against spending a high pick on a goalie.

Reactions: mossey3535

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Prime offer sheet material this coming offseason. No way can Canucks even match a 2nd round pick compensation at $3-4 million from a desperate team like the Leafs, Devils, Kings etc

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Prime offer sheet material this coming offseason. No way can Canucks even match a 2nd round pick compensation at $3-4 million from a desperate team like the Leafs, Devils, Kings etc

There's no reason why the Canucks can't re-sign Silovs before then. A 2 year bridge contract to be Demko's backup is very reasonable and a natural progression.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tolopilo was actually a better goaltender in Abbotsford this year than Silovs, although he's a year older.

It's true that Clark likes lanky goaltenders 6'4" - 6'6" who show some athleticism. Then he works to rebuild their games.

When Silovs was in Latvia and playing junior in the OHL, he was miles away from being an NHL goalie. Clark had to start from scratch, and fortunately Silovs is a young man willing to put in the work.

I don't think Clark gets enough credit for the work he puts in. He certainly has a believer in Demko, who works with him everyday and went public with his desire to have him stay, when it looked like he might bolt to another organization.

Demko owes a lot to Clark.....and the Canucks owe a lot to both Demko and Clark.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Demko was a better prospect and he took a two-year deal for slightly over $1M per season when his ELC expired.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

A guy with 13 NHL starts and a career .909 AHL goalie is a prime offer sheet target? Get real, man.

Reactions: Caspian

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s not a bad idea in and of itself to offer sheet a young goalie who you think has #1 potential and who appears NHL ready. I think a lot of teams don’t bother with offer sheets unless there is a real chance that it will not be matched.

With that said, a 2nd round pick is relatively a high price for a goalie and teams generally aren’t willing to spend on an expensive backup. Silovs is neither a former first round pick blue chip prospect or young NHL goalie ready to take over as #1. A 2nd round pick + paying the player $2.5-$3M a year is not attractive.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thought he was stronger in Game 2 than he was in Game 1, and he gave us a chance to win the game. I think he played his best hockey on the road in Round 1, hope he can bring that again in Game 3.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Thought he was stronger in Game 2 than he was in Game 1, and he gave us a chance to win the game. I think he played his best hockey on the road in Round 1, hope he can bring that again in Game 3.
Overall in his five playoff games I'd say that he's provided fairly typical #2-calibre goaltending which is all that can be realistically hoped for from a #3.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Overall in his five playoff games I'd say that he's provided fairly typical #2-calibre goaltending which is all that can be realistically hoped for from a #3.

Oh, definitely - he’s giving us a chance in games which is all we can ask for. Definitely think he’s punching his ticket to have the backup role behind Demko next season, too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hands up anyone who accurately predicted that Demko would go down in game one of these playoffs; that DeSmith would follow him; and that they'd have to turn to their AHL goalie in Silovs.....and somehow would still be competitive in these playoffs.

Most would have predicted, that if that scenario unfolded, the Canucks be cooked. But the team that really needs to start worrying about 'goaltending' right now, is the Oilers. Skinner has been terrible.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Hands up anyone who accurately predicted that Demko would go down in game one of these playoffs; that DeSmith would follow him; and that they'd have to turn to their AHL goalie in Silovs.....and somehow would still be competitive in these playoffs.

Most would have predicted, that if that scenario unfolded, the Canucks be cooked. But the team that really needs to start worrying about 'goaltending' right now, is the Oilers. Skinner has been terrible.

I can genuinely say that I did have a vision of Silovs playing for the Canucks in these playoffs. He played well for us down the stretch, and I wasn't fully convinced of Demko's recovery.

Though, to be fair I'm a goalie guy and I go into every postseason hoping for the next Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Cam Ward...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I can genuinely say that I did have a vision of Silovs playing for the Canucks in these playoffs. He played well for us down the stretch, and I wasn't fully convinced of Demko's recovery.

Though, to be fair I'm a goalie guy and I go into every postseason hoping for the next Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Cam Ward...
Ha! Yes I too was unconvinced of Demko's health and I too harbour Dryden-esque fantasies about him. So far so good...

Reactions: nergish

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011

bro every single one of us old enough to know who that is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad