OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Didn’t watch either Dune flick however I tend to be drawn to classic movies (there are so many good ones, I’ll never catch up) and a few select series (Ozark, GoT, White Orchid, etc ) and movies (Count of Monte Cristo, Shawshank, Limitless etc). I’ll rewatch the latter selections countless times until something new and compelling comes around that competently addresses the elements you listed.
I really enjoyed Villeneuve's first handful of films. That's why I watched the Dune films. I was hoping for some of his old magic. Unfortunately, all I got was a tiresome 3-card-monte.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The term "decent movies" means different things to different people. You can say I enjoy FX, action sequences and what not but I have a list of what I expect from a movie and those elements are at the bottom of my list. Story, character development, dialogue, suspense, humour are some of the elements that top my list. Dune had none of my top requirements.

The big thing for me was the sound design. The copters are pretty crazy sounding in my little 5.1 system, and the whole gladiator fight scene had some bits that sent my dog running. There's a pretty rich world in Dune and I think a high budget mini series may have been a better way to explore it. Then again, I thought the same thing with regards to LOTR/Silmarillion and then they made the Rings of Power. :help:

Keep in mind, the word 'decent' in the context of a 2024 action movie isn't exactly high praise. What's the last action flick you saw with everything you mentioned that was merely 'decent' ? Probably not very many of them in the last 10 years.

Reactions: G0bias

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Nothing about what I said was incorrect. It was a joke. Your post was entirely ad hominem. Changing your words around ever so slightly was the entire point of the joke and it flew over your head. I wasn't implying that it was what you thought. I was implying you're frighteningly close to embodying the very caricature you're accusing others of being.

The rest of your post is reddit-tier pablum. Wah wah muh righties, wah wah muh lefties.

You are not on my level on these topics as evidenced by your need to push false equivalencies into conversations where they are extremely dangerous and have been used by dictators, tyrants and megalomaniacs since the beginning of humankind.

Typical right wing drivel to reduce any sense of objectivity to wah, wah, wah babble. There is a certain Orange man who lives by this mantra.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really enjoyed Villeneuve's first handful of films. That's why I watched the Dune films. I was hoping for some of his old magic. Unfortunately, all I got was a tiresome 3-card-monte.
I don’t know what’s going on with new productions but I’m hearing there are far less than were expected following the resolution of the actors’ and writers’ strikes.

Production companies are being stingier than in past years and actors are struggling for roles. I wonder if it’s just studios trying to recoup their losses from the strikes or if there is more to it.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
You are not on my level on these topics as evidenced by your need to push false equivalencies into conversations where they are extremely dangerous and have been used by dictators, tyrants and megalomaniacs since the beginning of humankind.

Typical right wing drivel to reduce any sense of objectivity to wah, wah, wah babble. There is a certain Orange man who lives by this mantra.

:scared:

My post was apolitical, unlike yours. Pointing out the flaws in someone's logic must be a tried and tested right wing manipulation tactic, though. I hear Hitler breathed oxygen. Quick, hold your breath!

main-qimg-b6b0181934699a0eee88ee5c87db6420-lq

• Haha
Reactions: Kimota and Habs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

My post was apolitical, unlike yours. Pointing out the flaws in someone's logic must be a tried and tested right wing manipulation tactic, though. I hear Hitler breathed oxygen. Quick, hold your breath!

You are just continuing with the same tactic......you are not on my level but just found your way to my IL

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Godzilla Minus One is, functionally, a masterpiece when one considers its position in the franchise, the homages that it pays to history and the response that it offers to the original, seminal 1954 film on its 70th anniversary. Even absent that context, treated just as a spectacle and human drama in its own right, the film has been a smashing success with everyone to whom I've shown it, even those who hate "those" kinds of movies.

As long as you can take the requisite amount of melodrama, I could not recommend it highly enough, at least the subtitled version, now that it's been released on Netflix.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The big thing for me was the sound design. The copters are pretty crazy sounding in my little 5.1 system, and the whole gladiator fight scene had some bits that sent my dog running. There's a pretty rich world in Dune and I think a high budget mini series may have been a better way to explore it. Then again, I thought the same thing with regards to LOTR/Silmarillion and then they made the Rings of Power. :help:

Keep in mind, the word 'decent' in the context of a 2024 action movie isn't exactly high praise. What's the last action flick you saw with everything you mentioned that was merely 'decent' ? Probably not very many of them in the last 10 years.
I don't know if it fits your definition of action film but Civil War is a decent film. I would say a very good film. It's a melange of genres: action, road film, war, news story.

It's just a guess on my part but I think North American films are caught in no man's land. With the ascent of streaming, producers don't really know what sort of movie works in what format (streaming as opposed to theatres) so they tend to copy the last success. Explains Marvel Comics World or whatever the f*** that monstrosity is called.

If you step away from North America, the Spaniards, South Koreans, The Brits, most of the South American countries and a lot of other European countries are making excellent films. They get it. Forget about the format, tell a good story, and then decide what format to show it in.

I don't mind reading subtitles when my English, French, Italian, and half-decent Spanish can't help me with a foreign flick.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Just finished watching the animation of the game called Cyberpunk 2077 . Called Edgerunners ... That song at the end ... Fck man

Best animation i ever watched since Dragon Ball Z
just watched the trailer and song on YT, looks cool.

did you ever watch Arcane? i never played LoL but the animation is pretty sick, check out some clips online

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
this thread is full of anger, say you like a certain movie and you are a Right Wing Extremist and a RACCCCIIIIIST apparently lol.

BTW , made my kids watch Donnie Brasco and Bronx Tale, filling their Italian blood and now I just yell at them 'Now Yous Can't Leave' whenever they try to ditch me.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Tbf more and more rulers are acting like psycho dictator these days ...

Reactions: Habs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
this thread is full of anger, say you like a certain movie and you are a Right Wing Extremist and a RACCCCIIIIIST apparently lol.

BTW , made my kids watch Donnie Brasco and Bronx Tale, filling their Italian blood and now I just yell at them 'Now Yous Can't Leave' whenever they try to ditch me.
That was a great scene lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs and Redux91

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Just watched "Boy Kills World". Turn your rational brain off and it will be an entertaining movie. Bill Skarsgard, like in everything he's in, is great...and he doesn't even say a word in this movie (H. Jon Benjamin provides his inner voice/monologues). Andrew Koji from Warrior (awesome TV show btw) is great even if he doesn't show off any real hand-to-hand combat skills and provides mainly comedic presence. Actually, the whole movie is pretty funny, even with its over-the-top violence and gore. Yayan Ruhian, is, as usual, a bada$$. If you want simple, mindless fun, I say this is a movie you should watch. Thought-provoking, this is not. Fun in huge surprising doses :)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I watched the movie "Abigail" about a bunch of criminals in the clutch of a girl vampire. Pretty fun and happily gory for most of it. But the obvious hit-you-over-the head modern day third wave feminism was pretty annoying(lead female character is right about everything while the others are idiots, etc...). And the ending is what expect from what I mentioned. Seems like even in things that could be awesome ends up being infected by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad