Zegras Does It Again

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
Not understanding your point, or perhaps you're not understanding mine?
If you say yes he’ll ask “what about 1 foot?” Until he goads you into his bickering match about the need for absolute certainty in every call that gets made, down to the millimeter. They should review every scoring play. Take a few minutes, let everyone get their iPads out and look for a reason that a goal shouldn’t count. Hell review all penalties!

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Or, wild thought here, maybe players shouldn't go offside
There is an easy solution to this, just don't be offside. You can't selectively choose to ignore offside because a pretty goal is scored

It’s a super fast game and they don’t try to go offside.

As long as linesmen in real time do their best to call every offsides the players will play the same way, manouvering instead of cherry-picking or lazier dump in; creates turnovers etc

That’s the spirit of the rule, not to create a random technicality to become super concerned with decades later when the necessary replay/camera tech is invented

In particular here when it’s well after the entry, it shouldn’t matter

Reactions: Boo Boo and ff8

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
I disagree. There is a blue line for a reason. You cant make a grey area for the linesman to determine otherwise. Thats a can of worms that would not be good to open.
If you really believe this I’m sure you’re in favor of all scoring plays being reviewed by default, right? And all penalties too

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It’s a super fast game and they don’t try to go offside.

As long as linesmen in real time do their best to call every offsides the players will play the same way, manouvering instead of cherry-picking or lazier dump in; turnovers etc

That’s the spirit of the rule, not to create a random technicality to become super concerned with decades later when the necessary replay/camera tech is invented

In particular here when it’s well after the entry, it shouldn’t matter

What's the point of the rule if it's only called some of the time? The last thing we need is more judgement calls from officials, where they can decide how much offside is too much.

The rule is perfect as is. Either you're offside or you're not

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
If you really believe this I’m sure you’re in favor of all scoring plays being reviewed by default, right? And all penalties too
There are coaches challenges, so yeah, that exists already.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
What's the point of the rule if it's only called some of the time? The last thing we need is more judgement calls from officials, where they can decide how much offside is too much.

The rule is perfect as is. Either you're offside or you're not
It’s called all of the time *to the best of the linesman’s ability, no matter how small. I explained why that’s useful in the post you quoted.

Emotional fans in the moment auto wanting it taken back, cuz they don’t want the other team to score, is a thing that will always exist. We don’t need to create fewer goals and more game delays micro analyzing and or taking back great plays because of something that almost never brings a real competitive advantage.

The Wild defense could have recovered here. They got outplayed.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
There is an easy solution to this, just don't be offside. You can't selectively choose to ignore offside because a pretty goal is scored

Better go back and review every single play for every infraction in the book then. It would be stupid if you could review a play for hooking earlier on in the sequence, it's stupid that offsides can be challenged.

Reactions: Chips

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
Did I insinuate all goals and penalties should be reviewed? I dont think I did. You are just a little mad, its ok.
“You can’t make a grey area”
-you

Only way to eliminate any grey area is review all scoring plays and all penalties.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
If Zegras shoots the puck immediately as he gains possession and scores and then it's called back for offside nobody would be talking about it, there would be no main board thread. It would just be another disallowed offside goal the kind that happens all the time. Just because this disallowed goal was more appealing doesn't mean we need to bend over backwards looking for a way to allow it

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It’s called all of the time *to the best of the linesman’s ability, no matter how small. I explained why that’s useful in the post you quoted.

Emotional fans in the moment auto wanting it taken back, cuz they don’t want the other team to score, is a thing that will always exist. We don’t need to create fewer goals and more game delays micro analyzing and or taking back great plays because of something that almost never brings a real competitive advantage.

The Wild defense could have recovered here. They got outplayed.

I'd rather see the play get called correctly instead of more grey area calls for officials to mess up

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
If Zegras shoots the puck immediately as he gains possession and scores and then it's called back for offside nobody would be talking about it, there would be no main board thread. It would just be another disallowed offside goal the kind that happens all the time. Just because this disallowed goal was more appealing doesn't mean we need to bend over backwards looking for a way to allow it
It comes up once in a while so there’s a discussion. Twice in recent memory where the challenge actually would have helped my team. Even then I think the recent change to the challenge is chicken shit and against the spirit of the rule.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
People complain in many of these threads with far less beautiful goals. and there’s dedicated thread to the general subject matter

If he gains possession on the rush, then shoots and scores I can tolerate it much more

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
I'd rather see the play get called correctly instead of more grey area calls for officials to mess up
I agree. The only way to ensure that is review all scoring plays and penalties.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’d rather officials just care about the actual spirit of the rule and allow more game flow and goals.

It’s a fundamental rule to build structure into the game. The offsides itself does a great job of that without reviews.

When duchene gets another major offsides pass in the next 10 years I’ll feel bad for the team it happens to

There’s literally ref/linesman discretion all over the game already. This is a really weird specific thing for the league to be so concerned over reviewing

Puck Tiss

Nov 4, 2013
“You can’t make a grey area”
-you

Only way to eliminate any grey area is review all scoring plays and all penalties.
The lines are there for a reason...If you cant grasp that, I dont know what to tell you. It was a nice play, it just didnt count.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad