Proposal: Zaitsev + for Mayfield?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It’s possible that with a good coach, Zaitsev could find his game again.

Look at what Trotz has done with Martin and Komarov.
Two of my favourite ex Leafs. They are about the same as last year.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I mean... Lou took Martin. And signed Komarov for what, $3M?

Zaitsev is overpaid but only by 1-1.5M. People really blow his contract out of proportion.

Lou took those players without giving up a young defensemen signed through 2024 on a contract that pays him an AAV of 1.45 Million.

Are you actually trying to convince me we should trade a guy whose performance is worthy of 1.5 M more (then what he’s currently being paid)per season for an older player whose probably overpaid by 1-1.5M based on his regression?

Mayfield will thrive under Trotz , Zaitsev Can kick rocks

Reactions: 12Dog

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Youre trying to rid an INSANELY bad contract, you dont get to pick and choose what goes the other way

Itll be a 1st or Liljgren or the Islanders want nothing to do with it
It is not an “insanely bad contract” metely a bad one. The player is prime age and a compentent second pairing defendeman. He is indeed overpaid by about $1-1.5 million per season and the contract is too long and thus Zaitsev has negative value, but this isn’t anywhere near as bad as the worst contracts in the NHL, like say Scott Darling or Milan Lucic. Certainly not enough to justify a 1st rounder or the top prospect in the Leags system.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Islanders essentially had to pay Erik Brannstrom plus a second in this year's draft to protect Calvin deHaan and clear Grabovski's contract off the books. Detroit paid highly to move Datsyuk. Chicago had to include Teravainen to move Bickell.

But hey, a horrid contract like Zaitsev with tons of years left, on a Toronto team desperate to clear cap space as Marner asks for Matthews money. You guys got lucky on the Martin trade because we had cap space and Lou felt it necessary to bring a fan favorite home with JT snaking us. If anything, consider that a favor you guys owe us, not an opportunity to demand further favors and treat us as your dumping ground.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Also, can we please keep this caveat in mind: Zaitsev is viewed as a bad contract, not awful, but not good. The Leafs are in a cap crunch and every GM knows this. The Leafs are in poor negotiating position due to this fact.

EDIT: Also, why would NYI even want Zaitsev?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That is true. We constantly point it out in some posters. I had to earlier.

_5S3eP.gif

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Zaitsev is a far worse contract to the Islanders than he would be to say New Jersey. I assume most of the negativity from Islanders fans come from the fact that #5-7 RHD is the last place the Islanders need to be adding players.
Islanders RDH depth:
Boychuck - Better than Zaitsev signed until 21/22 ($6)
Pulock - Better than Zaitsev signed till 19/20 then RFA ($2)
Mayfield - Comparable to Zaitsev signed until 22/23 ($1.45)
In the system:
Dobson
Wilde

Can Leafs fans honestly see a reason for the Islanders to make that move?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Zaitsev is a far worse contract to the Islanders than he would be to say New Jersey. I assume most of the negativity from Islanders fans come from the fact that #5-7 RHD is the last place the Islanders need to be adding players.
Islanders RDH depth:
Boychuck - Better than Zaitsev signed until 21/22 ($6)
Pulock - Better than Zaitsev signed till 19/20 then RFA ($2)
Mayfield - Comparable to Zaitsev signed until 22/23 ($1.45)
In the system:
Dobson
Wilde

Also if there were to be an injury on RD Pelech would slide over. NYI have a lot of minors depth of players who could play bottom pairing minutes now (Aho, Wotherspoon, Vande Sompel).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Also if there were to be an injury on RD Pelech would slide over. NYI have a lot of minors depth of players who could play bottom pairing minutes now (Aho, Wotherspoon, Vande Sompel).

Toews plays the right side too. Basically every LHD has at one point or another.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
To me a move of Zaitsev only makes sense to a team with cap room and that needs depth in other areas.

Adding on a Connor Brown who is playing 3W with Kadri and Nylander and looking really good lately would make taking Zaitsev easier.

Mayfield and Martin
For
Zaitsev (500k retained), Brown and one of Woll/Scott

Next year Leafs save 1.2m, or 2.1m if they drop Martin to the minors.

Mayfield and Zaitsev both long contracts, Martin and Brown both with 1 more year.

Woll and Scott are both Goalies dominating their respective Leagues.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
To me a move of Zaitsev only makes sense to a team with cap room and that needs depth in other areas.

Adding on a Connor Brown who is playing 3W with Kadri and Nylander and looking really good lately would make taking Zaitsev easier.

Mayfield and Martin
For

Mayfield and Zaitsev both long contracts, Martin and Brown both with 1 more year.

Again - the Islanders aren't the team to be looking at for a Zaitsev trade. I get that Lou is there now and he signed the deal to begin with, but there is no reason to make this sort of move. The Islanders re-acquired Martin so obviously he is well thought of within the organization. If you look at points per game Brown is slightly better this year (29pt/82gm pace Brown - 22pts/82gms pace Martin) Brown is better offensively, Martin offers more physically but not a super enticing trade for the Islanders. As for Woll/Scott, the Islanders have 2 very good young goalies in their system already Ilya Sorokin and Linus Soderstrom so I don't think those pieces carry much value to the Islanders. Maybe Kapanen and Zaitsev for Clutterbuck and Mayfield? I'm not an Islanders fan so I don't know how players are valued in their organization.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I actually thought Mayfield would have made sense for the Leafs a couple of years ago, could have thrived with Babcock. I don't know what a trade would have looked like back then but it's prob not happening now.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

Mayfield and Martin
For

unless toronto is including a #2 center, better than Brock Nelson along with Zaitsev, there is no reasonable trade that would induce the Islanders to take Zaitsev

we do not need him period, I understand youre looking to move him, but there is absolutely NO interest here in acquiring Zaitsev NONE

Last edited:

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Lou took those players without giving up a young defensemen signed through 2024 on a contract that pays him an AAV of 1.45 Million.

Are you actually trying to convince me we should trade a guy whose performance is worthy of 1.5 M more (then what he’s currently being paid)per season for an older player whose probably overpaid by 1-1.5M based on his regression?

Mayfield will thrive under Trotz , Zaitsev Can kick rocks
Nah, I don’t think it’s a trade that’ll happen.

I do think Lou likes Z, he’s the one who signed him, and he’s made questionable acquisitions before, regarding players he’s had on previous teams.

It’s not far fetched that he’d trade for him.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

I do think Lou likes Z, he’s the one who signed him, and he’s made questionable acquisitions before, regarding players he’s had on previous teams.

Fair enough ...

Though as others have illustrated, in terms of organizational needs RHD is probably the last - Boychuk, Pulock, Mayfield, Dobson, Wilde

So while Lou has made acquisitions of questionable guys he's worked with before, I don't think his belief in a certain player or personal relationship is going to interfere with his ability to manage the team properly - Acquiring a guy, who by all accounts is making a tad more then he should , all the while playing the position the team is deepest at would be poor asset management to say the least.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

its extremely far fetched in fact its ridiculous heres why

when lou acquired Zaitsev toronto needed defense

in fact they still needed defense after Lou left

now lous new team does not need defense at all.

plus the Isles need a center and forward help since they lost Tavares.

and Duchene, Panarin and Stone might be available

so the Isles need all the cap space they can get

so lou may like who ever he wants but hes more interested in helping his new team

and he doesnt give a sh*t about the Maple Leafs cap problems

so Lou wouldnt care about Zaitsev if you were giving him away for free

What I think is really going on is that you personally want zaitsev gone, and your grasping at straws because you know nobody in the entire league wants him

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
NY has no reason to acquire Zaitsev and his bad contract. We have enough bad contracts of our own already.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
its extremely far fetched in fact its ridiculous heres why

when lou acquired Zaitsev toronto needed defense

in fact they still needed defense after Lou left

now lous new team does not need defense at all.

plus the Isles need a center and forward help since they lost Tavares.

and Duchene, Panarin and Stone might be available

so the Isles need all the cap space they can get

so lou may like who ever he wants but hes more interested in helping his new team

and he doesnt give a sh*t about the Maple Leafs cap problems

so Lou wouldnt care about Zaitsev if you were giving him away for free

What I think is really going on is that you personally want zaitsev gone, and your grasping at straws because you know nobody in the entire league wants him
I mean, Lou helped the Leafs out with Martin, who we were told nobody in the league wanted, so there's that. Maybe he does care.

We should all care about eachother.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I mean, Lou helped the Leafs out with Martin, who we were told nobody in the league wanted, so there's that. Maybe he does care.

nope
we have our own needs you want help with zaitsev give us nylander too

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Lou saw the reasoning for bringing Martin back, smart man.
I doubt we are going to help with your other problems, though.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
lol, outside of Barzal(who obviously wouldn't be involved), you guys don't have the pieces required for Nylander.
but thats what it costs you for us to take zaitsev. if you dont want our help its ok

you keep asking us to help you but you dont want to help us in return

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
lol, outside of Barzal(who obviously wouldn't be involved), you guys don't have the pieces required for Nylander.

Nylander has 9 points in 25 games after a difficult holdout.

Maybe pump the breaks a bit on what Barzal+++ offer would be necessary to land that kind of extraordinary production.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Mayfield and Martin
For

What part of we do not want Zaitsev,even on retention goes over your head?
Mayfield and Martin are playing well .
And the isles have 3 high end goalie prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad