Friedman: Zack Kassian given permission to seek trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
My initial reaction is hell yes, but i'm really unsure if either guys situation. Namestnikov has terrible numbers as a ranger, spooner has bad numbers this year. Have they both been so bad they're only worth Kassian?

Namestnikov needs to play with talent. Can get himself in position, good shot, good defensively. Not able to be the best player and drive a line.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Mentioned this one in another thread but it didn't get a response...

:edmonton
Dmitri Kulikov $4.333m x2
Nic Petan $874k

:jets
Zack Kassian $1.95m x 2
Matt Benning $1.9m x 2

Oilers add a small amount of salary this season that can be covered by Sekera's LTIR. Winnipeg splits Kulikov's cap commitment between two players who can either help with the NHL roster or be waived for additional cap relief next season.

Petan's probably looking for a new home by now as well.
Im fine with this, just so Petan can get a new team...

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd take him on the Leafs with retention. He'd likely be spending most of his time in the press box but I'd give up a mid round pick to play him against certain teams like Boston. He's nuts which the Leafs could use once in a while.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I won’t sugarcoat a potential Kassian trade - he hasn’t been good to start the year, and had a down year last year - but the guy has talent. He plays physical and will drop the gloves, skates well and has some pretty good hands. Also penalty kills. It’s not like the guy is a complete scrub. With that said, it’s not like teams are tripping over each other to acquire him.

I assume that this “given permission to seek trade” is all about finding a good fit for him and his wife vs Chiarelli just sending him anywhere for the best offer.

I think he’s probably seeking a team out East where the travel won’t be as bad. I also think he’s probably looking for a quieter hockey market. I could see Carolina being that team.

A 4th or 5th round pick would be acceptable. And I don’t think the acquiring team would regret it, a change of scenery could kick start his season. You get the 2017 Kassian and you’re a very happy team.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We haven't even faced any divisional rivals yet. Don't tell me Lucic can handle the load alone. We need a bit of crazy in our lineup, we got too many players that need more than a nuclear deterrent.

Plus, Kassian can play that role WHILE be able to skate to today's high speed standard. It's tough to find a tough guy who can skate too. And also a tough guy that will do MORE than a routine 5 minute scripted fight.

Not a fan of this development. Keep Kass! At least give him some games to get focused again. Far too soon to cut bait on him. He's shown too much.
Lucic, Nurse, and Khaira provide quite a bit of toughness, I think we can easily part with Kassian and not be overly concerned about a lack of face punchers.

Kass isn't the kind of player I'd want to trade to a division rival, like Calgary or Vancouver, but anywhere out east wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This is such a shame. I really like Kassian. Big, fast, underrated skills for a 4th liner. Brings just a bit of crazy. Single-handedly killed the Sharks in playoffs. Remember him folding Ekman-Larson when he cheap-shotted Matt Hendricks? Then slapped Duclair silly? Gold! Impossible guy to not cheer for once news of his struggles came out. He’s been playing poorly for some time and I dont know what this latest wrinkle is caused by, but I sincerely wish it could be remedied.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Lucic, Nurse, and Khaira provide quite a bit of toughness, I think we can easily part with Kassian and not be overly concerned about a lack of face punchers.

Kass isn't the kind of player I'd want to trade to a division rival, like Calgary or Vancouver, but anywhere out east wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

No chance Canucks want Kassian again.

that said best of luck. Hope things work out. He always got along with teammates. Not surprised to see the Oilers done with him.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If you wanted this, I would rather have kept the better Martin

Matt Martin couldn't play hockey though. Kassian is actually decent at it, he has the upside of a rich man's Shawn Thornton. I don't love the idea, but I wouldn't hate it as long as Kassian's off-ice troubles are not a issue.

Reactions: OVO16

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Not backing his rehab I guess. Must have bigger issues overall. Habs and Oilers are wiping their hands.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

This is my thought as well. We have more than enough toughness for today’s NHL - even a guy like Caggiula is a scrappy little bugger.

I’d try not to deal Kass in division, - like I said earlier he’s a guy that would be a pain in the ass when he’s got a bone to pick - but the Central would be fine.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not backing his rehab I guess. Must have bigger issues overall. Habs and Oilers are wiping their hands.
It's got nothing to do with that stuff.
Guys like Marody, Chaisson, Caggiula, Yamamoto, Rattie, are just playing better and are much cheaper than Kassian.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Pretty ignorant thing to say. Haven’t been any rumours on that front. He just got married and is going to be a father. By all accounts his personal life is fully on track. From the Oilers POV it’s purely a financial and on-ice thing. He’s getting beaten out by guys that are younger, cheaper, or both.

Reactions: ivanlwan and A91

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I'd be fine with our guys facing Kassian six times a year. Considering he's only noticeable once every couple dozen games beyond the untimely penalties, the odds are in our favor he does anything noteworthy against us.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
We aren't adding for your cap dump.

I would be so down for this

Kassian was underrated in Vancouver. 10 goals in 42 games - I believe he had the right rate of goals per 60 minutes 5 on 5 that year.

I'd bring him back in a heartbeat. Kassian for Gagner 50% salary retained. Never going to happen though given the reason I heard as to why he was traded in the first place.

I remember hearing we traded Kassian for Prust + 5th and I was soooooooooo angry. Then I found out that Vancouver had actually given up the pick not Edmonton and I lost it haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad