Prospect Info: Zach Metsa - RHD - Signed PTO + 2 yr AHL deal starting in 2023-24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

“He’s a special player but in a really simple way,” Adamek said. “He doesn’t put himself in a bunch of vulnerable spots. He makes quick decisions, moves the puck quickly and makes high-percentage plays.”

Devon Toews, who has back-to-back 50-point seasons for the Avalanche, also came through the Quinnipiac program. He was drafted and is bigger than Metsa, but Pecknold sees a similarity in how the two think about the game and were able to control the game with their presence on the blue line.

“He makes so many high-end plays in small areas and he does it at a high pace and just has an elite, elite mind,” Pecknold said. “Really elite IQ. He has the ability, but he’s going to have to do it with his IQ and his stick, because his stick is elite defensively.”

This article from Fairburn is a great look at Metsa's long and winding road to the Amerks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does he have the potential to make it to the NHL?

That's the hope - like I posted in the Amerk thread, it wouldn't be the first player to go from NCAA to AHL deal to NHL deal. It isn't a guarantee, but there is a lot to like about his game.

Reactions: Fjordy

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Given that Metsa signed an AHL deal to start and is a RHD, I do not believe this has anything to do with whether they feel Johnson is signing or not.
I think people also forget the organization has 1 D-men under NHL contract for next season in Rochester (Novikov), and 1 who's an RFA (Clague). Everyone else in Rochester are UFA. They need to get multiple D-men for Rochester anyways just to ice a lineup with 6 D.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think people also forget the organization has 1 D-men under NHL contract for next season in Rochester (Novikov), and 1 who's an RFA (Clague). Everyone else in Rochester are UFA. They need to get multiple D-men for Rochester anyways just to ice a lineup with 6 D.

Jandric is the other, also on an AHL level deal and he was a solid pull from NoDak.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I wish CapFriendly had the AHL/ECHL deals list in their team tables.

Best you can do is go to eliteprospects page for Rochester Americans roster. If there is not a Sabres logo next to the name it is an AHL deal. It shows the contract expiry in the last column. Every AHL deal expires this season except Mersch/Prow (one more year) and Jandric/Mets (two more years)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Proven to be a great pick up so far. Likely an expanded role next year, since our D depth is was it is in Roch.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
That's the hope - like I posted in the Amerk thread, it wouldn't be the first player to go from NCAA to AHL deal to NHL deal. It isn't a guarantee, but there is a lot to like about his game.
Hell Matt Irwin was one of those guys and has 461 NHL games under his belt. It is a long shot but from what I've seen from him so far in Roch, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets games in Buff

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Lets get this kid a nhl deal so he will not get poached. One of the top 5 performers at Prospects challenge so far imo.

@Gabrielor
I’m not saying don’t sign him, because I really like his game and think he’s got a decent chance to play in the NHL, but a guy who is going into his D+7 year with 145 career college games played at an elite program should probably look good in a prospect tournament. I’d sign him based on his play last year in the playoffs, but I’m trying not to read too much into his (and RyJo’s) performance in the prospect challenge.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I’m not saying don’t sign him, because I really like his game and think he’s got a decent chance to play in the NHL, but a guy who is going into his D+7 year with 145 career college games played at an elite program should probably look good in a prospect tournament. I’d sign him based on his play last year in the playoffs, but I’m trying not to read too much into his (and RyJo’s) performance in the prospect challenge.
My Metsa read is 100% from his playoff performance. I'll be interested to see him in regular season mode, but he's got NHL upside for sure, even if it bloomed late.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Glad to see him get rewarded. All I saw in his game was poise, and a calming presence. He is 24 years old already; so it's not a young asset, but he's going to be good for Rochester. Johnson, Novikov, and Metsa all had strong showings. I do like the skating tempo for Lindgren as well.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->