Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

OP updated. Thread GDTed and stickied.

Weird.

There's generally been a hard-and-fast rule that this tourney was limited to guys who had a maximum of 1 season of AHL experience (excluding guys like Klimovich who played AHL seasons as an underager). Raty and Bains would not have been at this in the past. And probably not a 25 y/o Hirose either.

Guys like Wouters and Silovs had 2 pro seasons and were not eligible/invited in 2023.

Surprised me as well given that Bains and Sasson are playing.

Interesting that there are only three invites; Deagan McMillan, Ty Halaburda, and Cooper Walker

The extra 'overage' guys mean less room for invites.

Personally I don't see the point in tiring Bains/Sasson/Raty out by extending their training camp and giving them extra games.

I don't think there's a super set age limit or whatever for these things. Haven't the Oilers dressed like a near-UFA-aged dude in the past?

The Oilers tried dressing Steve McIntyre for this tourney in 2010 (and as with other things, of course it was the Oilers who tried dressing a 30 y/o enforcer to beat up kids from other teams) but the rest of the teams killed that notion and this is when the 'one pro season' limit appears to date back to.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The extra 'overage' guys mean less room for invites.

Personally I don't see the point in tiring Bains/Sasson/Raty out by extending their training camp and giving them extra games.

I suspect this group may only get a game or two each. Hirose probably falls in the same bucket.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The Oilers tried dressing Steve McIntyre for this tourney in 2010 (and as with other things, of course it was the Oilers who tried dressing a 30 y/o enforcer to beat up kids from other teams) but the rest of the teams killed that notion and this is when the 'one pro season' limit appears to date back to.

LOL, yeah I forgot about the McIntyre thing, but they also dressed 26 year old Ture Linden last year.

IIRC, also Woo went in 2022 after two AHL seasons, albeit covid years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
LOL, yeah I forgot about the McIntyre thing, but they also dressed 26 year old Ture Linden last year.

IIRC, also Woo went in 2022 after two AHL seasons, albeit covid years.

Linden was straight out of the NCAA, same as 25 y/o Derek Daschke that we invited, which is in line with historical precedent.

2022, yeah, they changed things a bit because of COVID and the very short AHL season the previous year.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Linden was straight out of the NCAA, same as 25 y/o Derek Daschke that we invited, which is in line with historical precedent.

2022, yeah, they changed things a bit because of COVID and the very short AHL season the previous year.

Oh yeah, I understand why Linden was there, I was just saying that there have been some older kids there in the past.

I'd imagine that in general, the rosters for this thing are likely kind of subject to some leeway around a guy like a Klimovich, but it is definitely strange to see Bains on there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh yeah, I understand why Linden was there, I was just saying that there have been some older kids there in the past.

I'd imagine that in general, the rosters for this thing are likely kind of subject to some leeway around a guy like a Klimovich, but it is definitely strange to see Bains on there.

Yeah, it's weird. Edmonton has no players like this on their roster (although I don't really think they had any to send anyway) and Winnipeg has a couple guys who have played 2 AHL seasons but at a very 'fringe AHL player' sort of level.

As an aside, a few of us were musing about Graham Sward as a potential UFA prospect signing and he's on Winnipeg's roster as an invite.

Reactions: Vector

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, it's weird. Edmonton has no players like this on their roster (although I don't really think they had any to send anyway) and Winnipeg has a couple guys who have played 2 AHL seasons but at a very 'fringe AHL player' sort of level.

As an aside, a few of us were musing about Graham Sward as a potential UFA prospect signing and he's on Winnipeg's roster as an invite.
Honestly, I'd also kind of always figured teams didn't send guys like Bains because it's also considered a bit of an insult (maybe too strong a word) to send them to this instead of having them ramping up for main camp. Dude was just like a top-10 or 15 u25 scorer in the AHL and you're sending him to his third kiddo tournament?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Honestly, I'd also kind of always figured teams didn't send guys like Bains because it's also considered a bit of an insult (maybe too strong a word) to send them to this instead of having them ramping up for main camp. Dude was just like a top-10 or 15 u25 scorer in the AHL and you're sending him to his third kiddo tournament?
It is odd.

Many, many years ago I attended a coaching clinic put on by Tony Waiters and the Whitecaps. The players were the BC 18 and under team, as I recall. But included in the drills was Bob Bolitho, a local guy who'd had a solid career and was playing with the Whitecaps. The focus and intensity he brought to the drills was almost frightening, in contrast with the kids, who were obviously trying hard, but ... Anyway, the point seemed to me to let the youngsters know how a pro approached these things.

Maybe that's what Bains etc. are suppose to be doing.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Close to 20 years ago when Luc Bourdon was in the tournament I was drunk on the seabus with a buddy heading downtown and we ran into an also drunk and also going downtown Gilbert Brule (mutual friends). I mentioned I was surprised he wasn't at prospect camp for Columbus since our first rounder was. He basically stared at me blankly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Raty (52 points); Bains (55 points: and Sasson (42 points in only 56 games) were productive AHL'ers last year and should be dominant in this tournament.

But the blueline looks pretty green to me. D-Petey and Hirose are a lock for Abbotsford. But after that things get dicey. Kudryavtsev, Felton and Arnsten are AHL-ECHL 'bubble guys'. As for the rest, they're likely all headed back to junior after this tournament is over.

Could be lots of work for Tolopilo, probably one of the oldest and most experienced goalies in the tournament.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Canucks loading up with good AHL'ers to give the home crowd a show I guess. For me a guy who's coming off a solid season in the AHL and is supposed to be battling for a spot on the NHL team shouldn't be in these tournaments but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Close to 20 years ago when Luc Bourdon was in the tournament I was drunk on the seabus with a buddy heading downtown and we ran into an also drunk and also going downtown Gilbert Brule (mutual friends). I mentioned I was surprised he wasn't at prospect camp for Columbus since our first rounder was. He basically stared at me blankly.

Wasn't the first Young Stars tourney after Bourdon's death?

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
A new year, and a new beginning for Danila Klimovich......with a new coaching staff in Abbotsford....so he starts with a clean slate. A strong start in this rookie tournament could get his season off to a flying start.

But seems to me a 'make or break' year. He could be closer to returning to Europe than to staying in pro hockey in NA.

Hirose is in the same boat. Looked like he could be a player two years ago, but absolutely stunk out the joint last season.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
tournament should be renamed “Dane Fox was a steal and gave McDavid a bunch of assists by scoring a lot of goals tournament”.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jets have a nice group of forwards. Yager Barlow Lucius Chibrikov Lambert

Surprised Lundmark and Heinola are not on their D as that group looks weak

Oilers are gonna get pumped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad