Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Total takeover in the third. Canucks looked on their heels in the first but game turned around late in the second. After that, Canucks dominated.

Showed Well (given their game and factoring in age, experience , etc)

Alriksson - looked like a young Cam Neely on some shifts (very raw but some promising physical tools) . Don't want to get ahead of yourself, especailly after a fairly mediocre first year in Junior, but certainly seems to have something to build on. Showed good hands on his goal and played with intensity through out. Work to do along his boards in his end but even there was at least adequate. I'd say the biggest positive surprise of the tournament for the Canucks

Young - showed some composure. Little weak on the second goal but good after that.

Alcos - was much more mobile than expected. Was solid in the third and moved puck up well. Maybe something here.

Felton - showed good range and good stick. Should help Abby

Pettersson - started to settle in and find his game in his end. Type of player who will be better once he gets regular linemate. Positional play was good in this game.

Sasson - best of the vets. Helped to provide some structure to the various partners he had.

Disappointing

Bains - lot of thrashing around. Not skating well enough to get separation where he could move the puck smoothly.

Raty - didn't do enough with the chances he had to score or set up plays. Fighting the puck at times.

Others

Romani - showed his touch on the goal but needs big improvements in so much of his game. Ditto Patterson although both have improved as tournament has gone along.

Walker - had a fairly effective game and did not look out of place. Best I've seen him

Mynio - you like they way he anticipates the play and moves to positions that give him space to make plays and provide passing options for teammates. Can see he needs more strenght to deal with situations around his net. Little up and down in this game as might be expected.

Lekkermaki - not in sync with linemates. Mostly looked to be trying to figure out how to play within the system the team was using. Looks like a player who will score more off the rush than off the forcheck. Line never really got it together offensively in this game.

Mueller - looks like strickly a checker. His line forechecked well at times

Glover - good on the forecheck. Skating was strong and he was physical in this game when he needed to be. Should have no trouble making Abby.

Kudryavstev - not as good as the last game. Supported play well up ice but struggled, especially early, in his end and was forced into hurried and erratic play.

Strange game in terms of how the first half was so different than the second half.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
If we trade away our 1st rounder this TDL, let’s hope we can keep the guy that we acquire.

With what cap space? Any player we're trading a first for likely is making big bucks or will on their next contract. That's the nature of rentals on a competitive team. Just like Lindholm, we're not going to have 8 mil laying around to sign them.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Top line was bad. Raty after looking better skating wise last game was slow to get his first three strides and wasn't generating the same amount of power in straight lines. Also couldn't sustain much along the boards which limited how much or any space he could create for his wingers. Lekkerimaki couldn't get much going and forced too many plays. Was mostly out of sync and was without any quality service. Looked small and timid in board battles. Bains woah what happened to this guy? Looked like a hot mess for the 2nd game in a row. Thrashing around tripping on his own feet playing with his head down. In some fairness our D was a hot mess at aiding a clean break out and blue line support offensively. Ended up chasing far too much and never got a PP to help get something going either.

Sasson looked good again. Hands and skill are lacking but the rest is NHL ready. Alriksson was fun to watch. That skating and size/reach is such an advantage. Keep those feet moving and work on the skills and look out. Much better game from Klimovich made a nice pass to Alriksson on the goal and mostly made smart plays. Has a poor habit of stopping skating with the puck.

Glover was the best of the rest. Some nice work in driving through the zones and getting stuck in. Romani and Patterson need much growth. Bloom can skate and that's about it. Don't see much hockey smarts and everyone can skate at the AHL level. Not sure he will be above ECHL anytime soon. Good game from Walker. Limited player but that was the best i've seen of him.

Pettersson makes a few forced pass mistakes every game but have to admire his confidence strength and skating for a big D. Passes are hard, shot is heavy, gets stuck in at every exchange. Certainly things to criticize and clean up as the level goes up as he's raw for NA pro hockey but his tools and IQ make me excited for his potential as camp moves along.

Kudryatsev and Mynio are nice skaters and have good hands. Both need to get stronger and focus on good first passes and closing out players. A much faster opponent in the Jets made things a challenge. The rest of the D i thought were scrambling to just hold the fort and were poor up ice and in the break out.

Was looking forward to this game the most as it provided the highest group of talent in the tourney. Interesting to see other 1st rounders and how some of our prospects look by comparison

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Was it Houston that had/has an Air Show or am I thinking Vanderhoof?

I’m not aware of either having an air show, but I would guess Vanderhoof, LOL.

I was there for a hockey meeting. Highway between Telkwa and Smithers closed due to a bad accident that occurred a few minutes ahead of me. Fortunately there was a detour, but the road is still closed almost 5 hours later. Not a good scene.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
With what cap space? Any player we're trading a first for likely is making big bucks or will on their next contract. That's the nature of rentals on a competitive team. Just like Lindholm, we're not going to have 8 mil laying around to sign them.
You mean next year? If Lekk can come in then there is a good chance Garland will be gone. Poolman’s contract will be gone and I think the cap raise will go towards OEL’s buyout.
So we should have about 7.5M to use. Also I wonder if we will extend Hog or trade him away.
I think there is still a lot of roster flexibility.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
A team that was having a good year after pretty 10 - 12 bad years should not be shooting for the stars. The only trade of a 1st rounder by the Canucks that worked out better than I expected was JTM.

Yeah, he seems to have more talent than expected ... if he ever gets some real snarl he has a shot.
I disagree. Here’s a list of forwards drafted late in the first round (20th overall onward) in the last eight drafts that outscored Kieffer Sherwood last season:
Robert Thomas
Morgan Frost
Eeli Tolvanen
Joe Veleno
Connor McMichael
Jake Neighbours
Yegor Chinakov
Wyatt Johnston

Of those players, here’s who is earning less than Sherwood this season:
Neighbours
Johnston

Late firsts are a useful currency if you run a team that wants to win sometime in the next five seasons.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
You mean next year? If Lekk can come in then there is a good chance Garland will be gone. Poolman’s contract will be gone and I think the cap raise will go towards OEL’s buyout.
So we should have about 7.5M to use. Also I wonder if we will extend Hog or trade him away.
I think there is still a lot of roster flexibility.

You're far more optimistic than myself. Every year for the last half decade or more we were absolutely cap strapped trying to sign players. Next year will be no different with the OEL hit increasing too. Forbort will need to be replaced and Boeser will require a larger salary, and Suter also needs to be re-signed or replaced. Lekk being an impact player next year is a low percentage bet. Also assuming Garland is traded is completely unknown as well. Hoglander would also need replacing with at least the same $$, but probably more.

I think there is far less space then you think and trading for a high salary player mid season with the intent to retain is very tricky and has a lot of moving parts for a team currently struggling to afford a $1.5 mil backup goalie. Puckpedia has us at $13 mil free with 7 players including Boeser needing to be signed. Probably 3 or 4 mil more with the cap increase but still slim margins. The only way this works is if Garland gets traded but kudos if they could pull it off ... the following year we have far more flexibility for a move like that. They also have to plan for Hughes and Demko getting raises as well.

1726458437352.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Arliksson doesn't get much love from regular followers of Canuck prospects, but in this game he was the best forward on the ice, and not by a 'small margin'. And considering the number of high draft picks who were being showcased in the lineup from both teams, it says something when a kid drafted in the fourth round (107th) overall could carry the play the way he did.

He's listed a 6'6" and 215, but his skating is light-years ahead of where it was a year ago. Coming off a strong development camp, he's really showing some upside in this tournament. He needs to back to Guelph in the OHL and dominate. But the Canucks might really have something in this kid.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You're far more optimistic than myself. Every year for the last half decade or more we were absolutely cap strapped trying to sign players. Next year will be no different with the OEL hit increasing too. Forbort will need to be replaced and Boeser will require a larger salary, and Suter also needs to be re-signed or replaced. Lekk being an impact player next year is a low percentage bet. Also assuming Garland is traded is completely unknown as well. Hoglander would also need replacing with at least the same $$, but probably more.

I think there is far less space then you think and trading for a high salary player mid season with the intent to retain is very tricky and has a lot of moving parts for a team currently struggling to afford a $1.5 mil backup goalie. Puckpedia has us at $13 mil free with 7 players including Boeser needing to be signed. Probably 3 or 4 mil more with the cap increase but still slim margins. The only way this works is if Garland gets traded but kudos if they could pull it off ... the following year we have far more flexibility for a move like that. They also have to plan for Hughes and Demko getting raises as well.

View attachment 907215
I am assuming a bunch of rookies will come in next year. 1 of Willander/D Petey and Lekk, Raty, Sasson will very likely make the team.

I am not saying we should trade Garland because he sucks, it’s just cap. We probably need to reallocate that 5M on the 3rd line to somewhere else.

It is also super early though, I think by mid season we should have a better idea how the kids are doing. You would hope that Lekk, Raty and Sasson will be getting some spot duties this season.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I am assuming a bunch of rookies will come in next year. 1 of Willander/D Petey and Lekk, Raty, Sasson will very likely make the team.

I am not saying we should trade Garland because he sucks, it’s just cap. We probably need to reallocate that 5M on the 3rd line to somewhere else.

It is also super early though, I think by mid season we should have a better idea how the kids are doing. You would hope that Lekk, Raty and Sasson will be getting some spot duties this season.
if i had to guess, Garland is a 2025-26 trade. Or maybe at the deadline if they need space for a block buster.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
if i had to guess, Garland is a 2025-26 trade. Or maybe at the deadline if they need space for a block buster.
maybe a bit earlier, like in the offseason. They are always looking for ways to improve the team so having as much money as possible when UFA starts is something they would prefer.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Yeah I've long thought about redistributing Garland's money to the top lines or defence. As the cap raises his salary is becoming more palatable though. They don't seem to be in any hurry to dump him either. He was pretty key to that third line last season.

Personally I'm not sure if any rookies will make it next year. Maybe Willander if he has a good season but I would say the rest of them will not be ready. Raty and Lekk don't look anywhere near close so far but we'll see how quickly Lekk adjusts with more games. Initial results look modest though.

D-Petey has close to zero chance for next season. He'll need time. Maybe Sassoon takes the fourth line center spot but it's also highly unlikely imo. They're not going to just throw guys out there who aren't ready when they can likely find better options in UFA at the same price. Regardless it won't save us much if any money anyway if they're just replacing PDG, Sprong, Freidman, Forbort, Juulsen, or Hoglander.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad