Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic Tournament | Canucks go 3-0 at Young Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
- we aren't trading Garlund short term because he is the puck carrier on that line and there is no one to replace him
- some of the farm/prospects could be interesting next year as bottom 6 or bottom d pairs

Reactions: Grantham

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Total takeover in the third. Canucks looked on their heels in the first but game turned around late in the second. After that, Canucks dominated.

Disappointing

Bains - lot of thrashing around. Not skating well enough to get separation where he could move the puck smoothly.

Raty - didn't do enough with the chances he had to score or set up plays. Fighting the puck at times.

Drance/canucks media have been raving about these two

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I’m most excited about Riley Patterson and his blazing sleep and hands . Really think the Canucks have a potential 4th round steal and potential Diamond in the rough

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Okay, I am a dinosaur I guess because nothing I do can get me a live stream of these games.

Canucks.com just pushes me over to NHL.com/Canucks and then all I get is the usual webpage stuff, no live stream.

Across the top of the page is the usual titles but nothing goes to live stream.

So what's the secret way? Apparently it is supposed to be easy as there are just the instructions to go to the Canucks website, but when there, then what?

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I'm sure they have - and guys like that might tend to sleepwalk through a tournament like this. But man, with the level of experience and maturity they've got, you'd hope/expect them to dominate at this level.
I haven’t watched any games, but it’s fascinating to read such contrasting opinions on those players

Reactions: Szechwan

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Listened to the radio this morning where he was glowing about the top line and called them ringers. No mention of alriksson at all who I thought was a surprising standout

Now that I think about it, I often find drance's takes odd. I would have suspected that he didn't watch both games if he didn't mention Elias Pettersson scoring

Reactions: Bgav

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I wouldn't expect much out of the ahl guys who play a pro game in these. Too much random, unstructured junior play that it throws them off.
You can see if with a lot of top prospects when they have outgrown the game in juniors where they look for the pro play or make a play/pass that's above the level they are playing with.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Bains I would argue, has been relatively disappointing relative to the competition. Raty has obviously worked on his skating in the summer, which is good. Still, I don't think he's been particularly stellar or anything in the games I've watched considering he's a veteran playing in a relatively low-level prospect tournament, same with Sasson. I've mostly heard them buzzing about Raty, and he's been fine, but they are definitely overdoing it with some of these articles etc.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Bains I would argue, has been relatively disappointing relative to the competition. Raty has obviously worked on his skating in the summer, which is good. Still, I don't think he's been particularly stellar or anything in the games I've watched considering he's a veteran playing in a relatively low-level prospect tournament, same with Sasson. I've mostly heard them buzzing about Raty, and he's been fine, but they are definitely overdoing it with some of these articles etc.
Hard to get real takeaway from games like these. Short “tournament” where the coaches aren’t really playing to win so everybody gets equal ice time. Also most of the guys probably never played with each other so nothing is in sync.

I think the only thing to look out for is just individual skills but even then it seems like the high end guys aren’t trying too much and the lower end guys are giving their all.
TLDR: don’t read too much from these games.

Reactions: Nick Lang and Bgav

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Raty is a "veteran" but also still 21 years old (is 21st in NHL games played for his draft year actually). I believe each roster has multiple players from that draft. Not young but also not old for this tournament at all.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Raty is a "veteran" but also still 21 years old (is 21st in NHL games played for his draft year actually). I believe each roster has multiple players from that draft. Not young but also not old for this tournament at all.

He's more of a veteran than Sasson, despite the age. Raty has like 130+ games of pro experience between the AHL/NHL. Raty is basically an AHL vet playing in a prospect tourney.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He's more of a veteran than Sasson, despite the age. Raty has like 130+ games of pro experience between the AHL/NHL.
But one is 2+ years older than the other. Sasson is at an age (24) where his physical tools are where they will likely remain while Raty can still make strides (pun intended) in that department. He's also at an age where he is likely to be nearer his overall peak than Raty is.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Pre-Game 01:
-several Canucks prospects were playing soccer outside the rink. I recognized Pettersson, Alcos, Bains, Hirose, etc.
-ran into Kris Knoblauch exiting a hotel. Was quite a bit taller than I realized. Said "Hi guys" to myself and my friend
-game tickets were about $25 but parking was $20; we parked on a street a minute away
-the native chiefs kept thanking TSN

Game 01 Notes:
-Kudryatvev is noticeably short
-Pettersson's hit are loud and violent
-the top line was trying all sorts of moves and set-ups
-good to see the "too many men" Canucks' tradition continues
-Kudryavtsev with a good chase down after a bad pinch/read by Pettersson
-spirited tilt between Arnsten and Corbet but both ejected
-Pettersson and Kudryavtsev double shifting with Arnsten gone
-much better 2nd period for the entire team
-Savoie and O'Reilly have been invisible
-Alriksson used his size and speed to generate a penalty
-Romani stands out on the PP but didn't generate much at even strength
-Lekkerimaki hunting for a PP by laying on the ice but by doing so missed a chance to continue possession
-Arnsten and Corbet are back?!
-Pettersson wants the damn puck
-Alcos was playing a lot but is very raw
-arena announcer is way behind; solid minute before the the penalty is announced and about 5 minutes after a goal is scored
-what the hell Felton?! Where did that come from?!
-Lekkerimaki can shoot

Game 02 Notes:
-Canucks lined up for the anthem in descending jersey number order
-Pettersson is mean
-Young tracking puck through traffic very well
-Canucks management are here; didn't see them at game 01
-Lambert looks very good
-no Canuck shall ever hit the net again
-Lekkerimaki buzzing and generating chances
-management has no reaction to anything
-Bloom and Glover promoted to playing with Sasson; immediately score a goal
-Rutherford hasn't moved from his spot
-a referee and linesman switched roles mid-game

Thoughts on Individual Players:
Pettersson:
-tilts the ice in the Canucks favour when he's out there
-imposes his will and is a great skater; never stumbles or pivots incorrectly
-didn't always have the cleanest read in the offensive zone in regards to pinching
-always made himself available as a point man in the offensive zone and did a good job of deciding when to shoot and when to pass
-just a mean mean mean man; every hit was thunderous
-constantly push around opponents and when he notices the ref isn't looking, lays some heavy crosschecks into their backs
-most consistently impressive player over the two games
-would switch to the right side on occasion but would line-up on the left side for face-offs

Alriksson:
-other than one drive leading to a powerplay, didn't do much in the first game
-his size makes him noticeable rather than his play
-much better in game 02; more physical and protected the puck with purpose

Lekkerimaki:
-his shot is incredibly heavy; you can feel it when he misses the net and it hits the boards/glass
-reads off his linemates well and did a good job of trying to cut towards the middle of the ice
-was getting pushed around too often
-looked fast and had not problem turning; quality skater
-very dangerous in bursts but there were long stretches where he didn't do anything

Kudryavtsev:
-pretty much played the right side exclusively
-is short but stocky
-wasn't always making the right decision but must have played 25 minutes a game
-very confident and played like he wants to be in the AHL
-didn't show any real offensive ability but also didn't kill the play when the puck was on his stick

Romani:
-didn't notice him in game 01 until the powerplay and then he was then he stood out
-excellent release on his shot
-much more active in game 02 and looked like he should have been drafted higher
-knows where to go offensively but needs more strength and speed

Raty:
-as always, slow but gets to exactly where he needs to be
-his agility has improved, however
-just reads the game at a higher level than almost anyone else in all three zones
-looked to pass all the time which was a problem with Bains since he's always looking to pass
-was better in game 01 than game 02

Bains:
-very similar to Raty in that they both are so smart and always in the right position
-aggressive on the forecheck
-when Bains and Raty were on the ice, the puck was usually in the offensive end of the rink or the neutral zone

Glover:
-was surprised how much he stood out
-big guy that loves to hit
-has enough speed to get in on the forecheck
-is British

Arnsten:
-his ejection was announced as a game misconduct then showed up again mid-way through the game
-actually was given a lot of opportunity and wasn't atrocious
-very wide shoulders
-can't handle the puck at all

Felton:
-knows what he needs to do but wasn't great at doing it effectively or efficiently
-was usually in the right position
-seems like he will have a solid AHL career

Alcos:
-they played him a lot and in different situations
-has tools but lacks confidence; second guessing himself on every play and very deferential

Tolopilo:
-dude's entire attitidue is that he's too good for this; he also looks the same in the AHL
-just a giant monster with octopus limbs

Sasson:
-was probably the best of the older players in terms of constant effort
-his entire profile screams 4th line NHL centre

Klimovich:
-I think he's just fundamentally bad at organized hockey
-everything he did was an individual effort and they kept moving him down the line-up mid-game
-

Anyone not listed just didn't stand out. Mueller, Patterson, Bloom, Walker, Hirose, and Mynio existed but didn't do anything of note.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Pre-Game 01:
-several Canucks prospects were playing soccer outside the rink. I recognized Pettersson, Alcos, Bains, Hirose, etc.
-ran into Kris Knoblauch exiting a hotel. Was quite a bit taller than I realized. Said "Hi guys" to myself and my friend
-game tickets were about $25 but parking was $20; we parked on a street a minute away

Game 01 Notes:
-Lekkerimaki hunting for a PP by laying on the ice but by doing so missed a chance to continue possession
-arena announcer is way behind; solid minute before the the penalty is announced and about 5 minutes after a goal is scored
-Lekkerimaki can shoot

Game 02 Notes:
-Pettersson is mean
-Lambert looks very good

Pettersson:
-didn't always have the cleanest read in the offensive zone in regards to pinching
-always made himself available as a point man in the offensive zone and did a good job of deciding when to shoot and when to pass
-constantly push around opponents and when he notices the ref isn't looking, lays some heavy crosschecks into their backs
-would switch to the right side on occasion but would line-up on the left side for face-offs

Alriksson:

Lekkerimaki:
-his shot is incredibly heavy; you can feel it when he misses the net and it hits the boards/glass
-reads off his linemates well and did a good job of trying to cut towards the middle of the ice
-very dangerous in bursts but there were long stretches where he didn't do anything

Kudryavtsev:
-is short but stocky
-didn't show any real offensive ability but also didn't kill the play when the puck was on his stick

Romani:
-didn't notice him in game 01 until the powerplay and then he was then he stood out

Raty:
-just reads the game at a higher level than almost anyone else in all three zones
-looked to pass all the time which was a problem with Bains since he's always looking to pass

Bains:
-very similar to Raty in that they both are so smart and always in the right position
-when Bains and Raty were on the ice, the puck was usually in the offensive end of the rink or the neutral zone

Glover:
-is British

Arnsten:
-his ejection was announced as a game misconduct then showed up again mid-way through the game
-very wide shoulders

Felton:
-knows what he needs to do but wasn't great at doing it effectively or efficiently

Alcos:
-has tools but lacks confidence; second guessing himself on every play and very deferential

Tolopilo:
-dude's entire attitidue is that he's too good for this; he also looks the same in the AHL

Sasson:

Klimovich:
-everything he did was an individual effort and they kept moving him down the line-up mid-game
-

Anyone not listed just didn't stand out. Mueller, Patterson, Bloom, Walker, Hirose, and Mynio existed but didn't do anything of note.
Thanks, Vec! Your review of D-Pettersson just warmed the cockles of my heart. Imagine him in the not too distant future, benefitting from the coaching skills of Foote & Gonchar - :naughty:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Pre-Game 01:

Game 01 Notes:
-Lekkerimaki can shoot

Game 02 Notes:
-Pettersson is mean
-Lambert looks very good

Pettersson:

Alriksson:

Lekkerimaki:

Kudryavtsev:
-is short but stocky

Romani:

Raty:

Bains:

Glover:
-is British

Arnsten:
-very wide shoulders

Felton:

Alcos:

Tolopilo:

Sasson:

Klimovich:
-

There are a lot of big bodies in the NHL, but there aren’t a lot of guys who are big and actually mean and loves to hit people like almost every single shift. Hoping DPetey can continue to develop and be a NHL regular. Would be fun to watch him hit in the playoffs.

Reactions: quat and Vector

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Too bad theres no Brzustewicz against today

Honestly I would be alright with Hirose and Klimovich being told if they can find an AHL team that would take them to loan then that or theyre off to ECHL. Just nothing there at this point

Would rather give the spot to someone with pro potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad