Post-Game Talk: Yippie aye o Paille - Bruins beat Detroit 5-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Just got back from the game. One thing that I've felt before and watching today solidified for me, is that Krug/McQuaid cannot be out there with Looch/Spooner/Pasta.

They get hemmed in way too frequently. Spooner, Pasra and Krug lose too many physical battles, and McQuaid and Looch don't have the foot speed/agility to cover for them.

Don't get me wrong, I like each of those players, and get thst everyone has strengths and weaknesses, but that combination is not very effective.

True, I also thought Seids, Chara and Ham all had their bone head moments either with poor puck decisions or puck movement that was way too slow which led the Red Wings to pin us deep and run around for a long amount of time.
The D in general will need to be addressed by the coach and make certain to avoid the things that can be avoided to allow your team to not waste too much time in your own end.
There are a number of things that can be done to avoid this mistakes to be repeated and the D men must be ready mentally and prepared to play the game properly and not just take things to lightly in your own end.
The D had done a pretty darn good job in the 1st but a few times in the 2nd and especially in the 3rd they had some real bad moments back there.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Luckily we only have 2 more back to backs this season but they are both on the road.

SAT MAR 14, 2015 BRUINS PENGUINS 1:00 PM
SUN MAR 15, 2015 BRUINS CAPITALS 7:30 PM

WED APR 8, 2015 BRUINS CAPITALS 8:00 PM
THU APR 9, 2015 BRUINS PANTHERS 7:30 PM

We have 4 more back to backs.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Pastrnak did not look good in the 3rd period. Seemed like he took a spill into the boards early in that period?

3 games in 4 days is a tough schedule for an 18 year old. I think the fatigue bit him hard.

It was showing in the third-good thing they built a good lead because I think they would have let it get away from them.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
3 games in 4 days is a tough schedule for an 18 year old. I think the fatigue bit him hard.

It was showing in the third-good thing they built a good lead because I think they would have let it get away from them.

I believe it was Clode wanting to solidify more defense role unit by having Talbot on with Spoons and Looch and making sure we came out with the two points.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I'll take it but getting sick of Claude not caring about putting the game away with a PPG with 4 minutes left, instead wanting to use the PP time to kill the clock (Talbot instead of Pasta for 3rd period, perfect example).

Personally I don't see Julien using Connelly much given that he had two practices and will not have any regular season games before glue is eligible to play.

They will likely use him if there is an injury or the team needs goals but my guess is this kid rides the Pressbox during the playoffs. I will say that he will at least have plenty of time to learn and observe the system before playing a game.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Luckily we only have 2 more back to backs this season but they are both on the road.

SAT MAR 14, 2015 BRUINS PENGUINS 1:00 PM
SUN MAR 15, 2015 BRUINS CAPITALS 7:30 PM

WED APR 8, 2015 BRUINS CAPITALS 8:00 PM
THU APR 9, 2015 BRUINS PANTHERS 7:30 PM

We have back to backs on the 20/21 of March-the Florida teams.
28/29 against NY and Hurricanes.

I think almost all of those follow Thursday games as well.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
They saved their goalie's butt and played hard until their legs started going.... Made Detroit look like the team that played the night before......

Can't ask for much more than that.....

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Great 1st period. Not a good game though IMO. A lot of players had dead legs after that aggressive start. Thought Chara and Bergeron both struggled. 4th line deserved their ice time this afternoon. That said, I hope this doesn't become a theme. You know Clode likes to ride his vets.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
This team is going to be every team in the East's worst nightmare for a 1st round match up. Getting Krejci and Connolly back is going to cause all sorts of problems(good ones).

Marshy-Bergy-Smith......this line will stay the same.
Paille-Kelly-Talbot......cannot sit Kelly and play Campbell

I would go with:
Lucic-Spooner-Sodaberg
Eriksson-Krejci-Pasta
Connolly/Campbell

I'd insert Connolly for Smith if he starts sucking.

Whos gonna shoot the puck? :laugh: they love the silky passing. I wish Loui would shoot more.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
DangerousGrippingCommongonolek.gif

And as I've said since he has started playing as a reg on the roster, I never want to see him slapshot ever again with a wrister like his. I think he gets himself in the situation where hes like "**** it ill pound it and hope it gets through" and i havent seen him get one past yet, but his wrister is special, I hope he utilises it more and quits the slappers, as good as they are too, I think his percentage of scoring is a lot higher with that ripper.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Can someone please explain the general differences, other than net minder, between Detroit and Montreal. Both seem similar to me. Yet, one team we handle regularly and the other we get handled. But, that's just my eye test telling me.

The Habs actually play a tremendously grinding style now. I find the Wings play nothing like them.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Just got through watching the game on DVR since I couldn't see it live today. Really proud the way the boys battled and hung in there. Sveddy was shaky at best but the offense bailed him out. Very happy that the fourth line played so well. Paille was something else today wasn't he? Not sure what to make of Talbot other than he has been a pleasant surprise thus far. He looked like toast much of this year with the Avs and wasn't hitting like he used to or even was playing like he gave much of a crap. I guess the change of scenery has helped reinvigorate his game. Props to Chia for taking a chance on the guy at a time when he didn't look like he had much left in the tank. Max has made the fourth line look dangerous with his intensity and passing. Couldn't be happier with that development. Imagine how good that line would look with Kelly centering it.

I think one player who has really stepped his game up is Quaider. He is providing good physical play around the crease and is playing perhaps the smartest defense of his career. We certainly need him to be big for us at a time in which the D is less than optimal and he is delivering.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Personally I don't see Julien using Connelly much given that he had two practices and will not have any regular season games before glue is eligible to play.

They will likely use him if there is an injury or the team needs goals but my guess is this kid rides the Pressbox during the playoffs. I will say that he will at least have plenty of time to learn and observe the system before playing a game.

I agree. If he was healthy I would sit Smith for a game or two and try him with Bergeron but I don't see that happening late in the year. I think the Lucic line will have to play phenomenal the rest of the way to stay together when Krejci comes back. Julien will go with Lucic -Krejci- Pasta . I would try Krejci with the two Swedes and it could make a big difference if that newly formed line could be reasonably successful.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
If you aren't dismayed at best by the fact that a rapidly declining, offensively-inept 4th liner played the 3rd most ice time despite only 2 PK minutes, I'm not sure we are going to be able to find that happy medium.

I haven't seen a rapidly declining player lately. I know I would rather the 4th line have Paille and Campbell on it if they continue to play the way they have lately.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Can someone please explain the general differences, other than net minder, between Detroit and Montreal. Both seem similar to me. Yet, one team we handle regularly and the other we get handled. But, that's just my eye test telling me.

Detroit gets away with more interference than any team in the league. They are perceived to be a clean Euro team that "does things the right way", and refs buy into this.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Montreal gets up to play defense against us now. If we shoot from the point, it gets blocked, boom, breakout. If our guys try to hang out near the net, they get knocked down, cross checked, stick held, whatever, no calls.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Montreal gets up to play defense against us now. If we shoot from the point, it gets blocked, boom, breakout. If our guys try to hang out near the net, they get knocked down, cross checked, stick held, whatever, no calls.

can`t remember the last game the boys actually tried to hang out anywhere near the net which has been half the problem, making Price`s life too easy and for a goalie as good as him.......

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
can`t remember the last game the boys actually tried to hang out anywhere near the net which has been half the problem, making Price`s life too easy and for a goalie as good as him.......

Agree.

They have gotten to the net more often lately but they seem to avoid the net like the plague against Montreal but the Inthink the Bruins play tentative against the Habs-they play tight and like they are afraid of being called for penalties. They don't donthis with Defroit or other teams. The Bruins might play flat or bone headed but the Habs are the only team they seem to be unable to play with physicality and passion. I think they try so hard to avoid the penalty box they end up making things worse.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The view from Detroit

Bruins 5, Red Wings 3: Detroit sloppy on special teams

BOSTON -- Sloppiness with the puck cost the Detroit Red Wings a second straight game, leaving them with their first real losing streak of the season.

The Boston Bruins scored four times during power plays in Sunday's matinee at TD Garden, two of them while Detroit had the extra skater, to hand the Wings a 5-3 loss. It's the first time all season the Wings have dropped two straight in regulation.

Turnovers haunt Red Wings in second straight loss

Boston — This was a forgettable afternoon for the Red Wings on many levels in losing 5-3 to the Boston Bruins.

The arena where the Red Wings season ended last year continues to be an unfriendly place for them to visit.

They allowed two shorthanded goals — both coming off Stephen Weiss turnovers — the Bruins scored two power-play goals, and backup goaltender Jonas Gustavsson was pulled after two periods because of an unspecified injury (and allowing four goals), as the Red Wings lost a second consecutive game.

Which in itself was noteworthy.

It took until Game 64 of the regular season but the Red Wings finally lost two straight games in regulation this season — the last team in the NHL to do so.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agree.

They have gotten to the net more often lately but they seem to avoid the net like the plague against Montreal but the Inthink the Bruins play tentative against the Habs-they play tight and like they are afraid of being called for penalties. They don't donthis with Defroit or other teams. The Bruins might play flat or bone headed but the Habs are the only team they seem to be unable to play with physicality and passion. I think they try so hard to avoid the penalty box they end up making things worse.

I find the biggest issue with the physicality part is the Habs are clearly a quicker team, hard to lay a nice check when ya can`t catch a player;)

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Two really big games that could've really put us on our ass, and two big wins. Unfortunately it's going to take a heck of a lot of energy this year to get to the playoffs, but I still think they can do a little damage if they get there.

I'm really hopeful to get some of the young guys some of that experience if anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad