Yakupov was on pace for 53 pts as a rookie. So what happened?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

illpucks

May 26, 2011
People here say Yakupov is the worst bust in a long time. But his rookie numbers are pretty good at 31 points in 48 games, or a 53 point pace. This is a better PPG than Hughes, Kakko, Hischier, Laf, etc. So why did he bust if he had the rookie numbers that he did?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think he was just never that good, I got to see Hall a ton in jr and he was obv a 1st OA level player, next season I saw Landy a ton and thought for sure top 5 pick, then next year Yak comes along and people were saying he was a 1st OA talent and I never understood why. I think 2012 was soo depleted for forwards that mediocrity was celebrated

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ralph Krueger was getting a lot out of him as well as others. Yakupov was a talented player but he never got to progress those skills because other coaches were trying to get more out of his under developed defensive game.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
his athletic talent and skill was wasted because he couldnt think the game fast enough to play it at the high end nhl level

also eakins

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
The decade of darkness where Edmonton struggled to develop most of their prospects due to rushing them
IMO they were a victim of consensus bias. Since Nail's previous jr season it was as tho he was the only option. On top of that there is still some hesitancy to take a D man 1st(outside of obv choice)

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
I guess the real extended question -- for which I have no informed answer -- is what could Yakupov have become in a better situation for him, either with Krueger staying or being drafted by a different team? Because OP's point is that Yakupov demonstrated skill and significant tangible results in his first year, that indicated real potential long-term, even if he was obviously drafted far too high.

Reactions: uncleben

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He wasn't strong enough, fast enough or skilled enough to play the style that saw him dominate in junior.

It just didn't translate to the NHL where the players were bigger, faster and smarter. All of a sudden he couldn't get open to get his shot off. He couldn't beat guys wide. He couldn't physically impose his will. And he unfortunately never learned to adapt his game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Dallas Eakins mostly. He was good on the power play. He always sucked 5 on 5 even that year but on the pp either with the one timer or around the net he showed some really good finish. Not sure how he lost that ability to score around the net.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
His skating was fine, his lack of hockey IQ sunk him. Other than like a 20 game sample playing with a rookie McDavid, he didn't look like he had any chemistry with any of his linemates. He still could have become more had he not had Eakins as a coach.

He was good with Derrick Roy too, he needed a playmaking Center to set him up.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
His skating was fine, his lack of hockey IQ sunk him. Other than like a 20 game sample playing with a rookie McDavid, he didn't look like he had any chemistry with any of his linemates. He still could have become more had he not had Eakins as a coach.
He couldn't skate. Also its easy to blame Eakins, maybe it was the language barrier, but he didn't seem to be open to being told what to do and would player how he wanted. rumblings of uncoachable surrounded him in the early years. He didn't stick with anyone afterwards either, I personally feel it was a combination of his lack of skating ability, no Hockey IQ and lack of a work ethic. Junior was too easy for him, the NHL too hard, maybe the AHL would have been good for him, but also maybe not, he didn't have the toolbox for his tools and also the Oilers scouted wanted to pick someone else, but the owner made sure Yak was taken.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He couldn't skate. Also its easy to blame Eakins, maybe it was the language barrier, but he didn't seem to be open to being told what to do and would player how he wanted. rumblings of uncoachable surrounded him in the early years. He didn't stick with anyone afterwards either, I personally feel it was a combination of his lack of skating ability, no Hockey IQ and lack of a work ethic. Junior was too easy for him, the NHL too hard, maybe the AHL would have been good for him, but also maybe not, he didn't have the toolbox for his tools and also the Oilers scouted wanted to pick someone else, but the owner made sure Yak was taken.
Yakupovs skating was good that’s some major revisionism. Skating was not close to an issue he was quite fast and had good edge work. Skating was arguably his biggest asset as a prospect.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
He is has a poor attitude and is too stubborn. He didn't think he needed to change the way he played from Juniors.

Say it was coaching is skirting by the real problem.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yakupov is hardly the only guy this happened to with the oilers. They had a lot of young players that looked good early and got worse and worse.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Yakupov wasn't without blame either, he did have a lot of holes in his game, but his play took a huge nose dive under Eakins. I don't think anyone is predicting he'd have turned into an all star under a different coach, but I think it's possible he turned into a serviceable NHL player with better coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad