Yakimov vs Draisaitl season opener

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
Has this ever happened? There are spots available to be taken and Lander has done nothing to earn a spot. Last year was a similar situation and, best I can recall, he had a poor preseason. When he got called up during the regular season he had opportunities to play in the top 6 with good players and he was not good.

I think he might be referring to Landers first preseason. He played well, earned a spot, played primarily alongside eager and petrell. Of course he didn't produce, he was on the 4th line with 4th line minutes.

That said, I don't think Yakimov would be in the same spot. If he makes this team, I think it would be with a secondary scoring line (let's say with perron and purcell) and I think he would be experimented with in front of the net on the PP. If he has it in him this year, we'll find out shortly. As long as the staff recognizes it and is willing to consider sending him down if need be. Know when to fold them and all. I don't think that would "ruin" him; I just don't believe that a players development is so fragile.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
i've read the page, based on this, Draisaitl is a major disapointement right now? Some suggested poor conditioning? MacT looked like he really wanted to start Leon in october...

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Has this ever happened? There are spots available to be taken and Lander has done nothing to earn a spot. Last year was a similar situation and, best I can recall, he had a poor preseason. When he got called up during the regular season he had opportunities to play in the top 6 with good players and he was not good.

I think the two of you misunderstand his point. He's talking about how Lander had a good rookie camp, made the team, but played primary with poor quality players and that caused him to lose his confidence. He doesn't want Yakimov to get the same treatment. I think we have better forward depth now and i'm not sure if that can actually ruin a player but it's a legitimate point of discussion.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
i've read the page, based on this, Draisaitl is a major disapointement right now? Some suggested poor conditioning? MacT looked like he really wanted to start Leon in october...

I think he's looked pretty good most nights, he's a subtle player who can make a pass that nobody see's coming. Also he was playing back to back after having a very good game the night before. He's been what most should have expected.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I think he's looked pretty good most nights, he's a subtle player who can make a pass that nobody see's coming. Also he was playing back to back after having a very good game the night before. He's been what most should have expected.

Getzlaf 2.0 ??!

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I think we should expect that LD is a different player than our first overalls. Guys like Hall, RNH, and to a lesser extent Yak, have game breaking ability, and the ability to carry a team. I think Leon will become a player who more or less goes about his business without wowing you all the time, and that has really good play making ability. That being said, he has looked gassed in the last few games, and I also noticed a few times that he has Yak syndrome: IE sometimes he stops moving his feet, when the play goes elsewhere.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
I put both. We are in big trouble, but's it's the best we have to offer. Another year with no center depth. Arco looks like a AHL tweener and he's been outplayed.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I put both. We are in big trouble, but's it's the best we have to offer. Another year with no center depth. Arco looks like a AHL tweener and he's been outplayed.

You have to keep Arco, though. If he's lost on waivers the team would go from thin depth to no depth up the middle.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I just don't want another situation where we have Anton Lander playing very well in training camp and preseason, and then getting ruined by playing with plugs.

Obviously that doesn't mean the same thing would happen with Drai or Yakimov, but man, wish we didn't have to rush 1 of these guys, let alone both of them.

This I agree with. Anton Lander when he first came (2012 season) over seemed to have just lose his confidence as the season went on. It did not ruin but it did delay his development quite a bit. I would like to see Yakimov play on like third line role with Purcell and Pouliot ideally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad