Proposal: WSH-MIN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
To MIN:
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Nick Jensen

To WSH:
Kevin Fiala
Matt Dumba

Done before the expansion draft (Wild protect Kuz, Zucc, JEE, Foligno, Greenway, Parise, Hartman, Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin; Caps protect Ovie, Backstrom, Mantha, Oshie, Wilson, Fiala, Eller, Carlson, Orlov, Dumba). How much would Minnesota need to add? One of their firsts or is it closer than that as is due to Kuznetsov's off-ice issues?

Wild top six after this trade:
Kaprizov-Kuznetsov-Zuccarello
Foligno-Eriksson Ek-Greenway

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
I would say that should be a pretty resounding no for Minnesota. Forget about them adding anything more.

Fair enough. It pains me to watch Ryan Hartman playing with Kaprizov and Zuccarello. They need a first line center badly.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
I wouldn't do that deal straight up, let alone add to it. I'm not even sure I would trade Fiala straight up for Kuzy.

What's the expansion strategy for protecting Dumba then? Go 4-4 and risk losing Greenway/Foligno (and this is assuming Parise will play ball and waive his NMC despite being healthy scratched in the playoffs)?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Don't you mean how much would Washington have to add? So MIN us giving up 2 players you should keep in ED for one ED player who has potential locker room issues and had an off year. Fiala had 40 points in 50 games while Kuz had 29 points in 41 games and Fiala makes 4.9 million less.

And you think Minnesota needs to add Dumba plus? I don't.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Don't you mean how much would Washington have to add? So MIN us giving up 2 players you should keep in ED for one ED player who has potential locker room issues and had an off year. Fiala had 40 points in 50 games while Kuz had 29 points in 41 games and Fiala makes 4.9 million less.

And you think Minnesota needs to add Dumba plus? I don't.

If you're judging Kuznetsov's worth based entirely on this season, sure. Get him out of D.C. and he could be a perfect fit as Kaprizov's center with each of them easily putting up point per game seasons together. Fiala is a great player but he is due for a substantial raise as an arbitration-eligible RFA this offseason. Dumba is not going to be easy for the Wild to protect in expansion unless they are fine losing Jordan Greenway or Marcus Foligno.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you're judging Kuznetsov's worth based entirely on this season, sure. Get him out of D.C. and he could be a perfect fit as Kaprizov's center with each of them easily putting up point per game seasons together. Fiala is a great player but he is due for a substantial raise as an arbitration-eligible RFA this offseason. Dumba is not going to be easy for the Wild to protect in expansion unless they are fine losing Jordan Greenway or Marcus Foligno.

I don't have any issue with giving a raise to a 24 year old who has averaged a 31 goal, 68 point per 82 pace for the last two seasons, and I have no idea why people keep bringing it up as a reason to trade him.

And if the choice at the expansion draft is between losing Greenway/Foligno or Dumba, it should be a no brainer to let Seattle take the third liner.

Reactions: Steeler23

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
What's the expansion strategy for protecting Dumba then? Go 4-4 and risk losing Greenway/Foligno (and this is assuming Parise will play ball and waive his NMC despite being healthy scratched in the playoffs)?
There isn't one. In this trade we lose dumba for pretty much nothing anyway. Can't protect Jensen, not that we would. Why are we sending Fiala out? I get the trading Dumba part, but then trading our second best forward to get another guy that would be our second best forward doesn't make sense to me. Fiala outscored Kuzy this year, is 4 years younger, and costs less. Why do the Wild do this?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
So rather than wait on the new market for wingers and see what Fiala gets pay Kutz 7.8m per off a bad year instead? Winger salary market was down last year (see Toffoli). Mr Miyagi says patience Daniel son.

You also can't entirely ignore this past season either for Kuz. And you can't ignore the locker room issue either. His value is absolutely effected based on off year, expensive, and locker room.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
To MIN:
Evgeny Kuznetsov
Nick Jensen

To WSH:
Kevin Fiala
Matt Dumba

Done before the expansion draft (Wild protect Kuz, Zucc, JEE, Foligno, Greenway, Parise, Hartman, Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin; Caps protect Ovie, Backstrom, Mantha, Oshie, Wilson, Fiala, Eller, Carlson, Orlov, Dumba). How much would Minnesota need to add? One of their firsts or is it closer than that as is due to Kuznetsov's off-ice issues?

Wild top six after this trade:
Kaprizov-Kuznetsov-Zuccarello
Foligno-Eriksson Ek-Greenway
It’s a decent premise for a deal but Washington’s side would have to up their offer. Something better then Jensen and maybe a prospect if any picks aren’t available.

Fiala is an RFA with arbitration rights so that may be a troubling red flag to Washington since they weren’t keen on negotiating with Vrana, hence the trade with Detroit.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
I don't have any issue with giving a raise to a 24 year old who has averaged a 31 goal, 68 point per 82 pace for the last two seasons, and I have no idea why people keep bringing it up as a reason to trade him.

And if the choice at the expansion draft is between losing Greenway/Foligno or Dumba, it should be a no brainer to let Seattle take the third liner.

Okay how about Dumba and the lower of the two 1sts for Kuznetsov? Should still have enough cap space left over to sign Kaprizov and Fiala.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
So rather than wait on the new market for wingers and see what Fiala gets pay Kutz 7.8m per off a bad year instead? Winger salary market was down last year (see Toffoli). Mr Miyagi says patience Daniel son.

You also can't entirely ignore this past season either for Kuz. And you can't ignore the locker room issue either. His value is absolutely effected based on off year, expensive, and locker room.

Toffoli was a UFA. Arbitration-eligible RFAs have entirely different (and greater) leverage. Look at what Labanc, Anderson and Domi made last offseason just off the top of my head.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
That would be horrible asset management. He has trade value.

He does, but you trade him and now you lose another player from the Wild roster. It’s not a black and white situation. If Soucy is taken then you just lost 2 pieces of your defense. That may not be worth whatever a team will give up for Dumba.

Reactions: Steeler23

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Okay how about Dumba and the lower of the two 1sts for Kuznetsov? Should still have enough cap space left over to sign Kaprizov and Fiala.
This offer I can go with. MIN young team so if MIN fan is scared to add Kuz to the locker room, I totally get it. But at least both side have to go hmmm on this one.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Toffoli was a UFA. Arbitration-eligible RFAs have entirely different (and greater) leverage. Look at what Labanc, Anderson and Domi made last offseason just off the top of my head.
Domi was a c and not a w. (well Columbus was hoping at least) so he doesn't count.

Anderson yearly salary is fine its just the length that was woof.

Leblanc at 4.725 isn't bad either.(At least if you add in the 3m make up from previous year of Leblanc making nothing).

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
I wouldn't.
No worries, Billy Guerin is a smart negotiator that won’t jump to conclusions.
I don’t believe Ryan Suter would have to be worried about being picked by Seattle when Francis has many defenseman that are much younger and better options to pick from for a team looking to build a franchise from the ground up.

Seattle isn’t going to be looking for aging players with term and salary unless 1st round picks are in play for Seattle which Minnesota shouldn’t have any need to give up a pick if Guerin smartly plays his cards right, GM’s should have learned from their mistakes in the last expansion draft.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Pass. Need a center back.
Fiala outscored Kuznetsov this season.

If I’m Washington I take that deal. Fiala has come into his own and is still only 24 years old and Dumba would also be a nice add on the Caps defense as he is still only 26 and brings some physicality to the game.

Washington opens up a center spot for McMichael, Pinho or Lapierre and they still have Backstrom, Eller and even Oshie has played at center and if things get tight Raffl can take faceoffs as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Domi was a c and not a w. (well Columbus was hoping at least) so he doesn't count.

Anderson yearly salary is fine its just the length that was woof.

Leblanc at 4.725 isn't bad either.(At least if you add in the 3m make up from previous year of Leblanc making nothing).

Right but Fiala's agent can point to those contracts in arbitration and say that his client has been scoring 25-30% more than these guys over the last two seasons so deserves to be paid $6.5-7 million a year. Which I personally think is fine for Fiala but Minnesota probably isn't getting a discount is all I was saying.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad