Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] F Mark Schiefele signs extension with the Jets (7 years, $8.5M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
8.5 million a year for Connor Hellebuyck for 7 years?

Wow..........

Why?

Because he’s a top 5 goalie, if not top 3, who will contend for the vezina every year for at least the next 5 years.

I think Saros, Vasi and Sorokin are the only 3 goalies better than him. Sorokin is debatable, him and Hellebuyck may be equal.

Hellebuyck is the backbone of the Jets, he’s been their MVP literally every year since he’s come into the NHL.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Love seeing stars commit to a cold northern town, happy for Winnipeg fans and though totally unrelated I’ll tell myself this bodes well for a Drai extension next summer

Reactions: Buffdog

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Because he’s a top 5 goalie, if not top 3, who will contend for the vezina every year for at least the next 5 years.

I think Saros, Vasi and Sorokin are the only 3 goalies better than him. Sorokin is debatable, him and Hellebuyck may be equal.

Hellebuyck is the backbone of the Jets, he’s been their MVP literally every year since he’s come into the NHL.
You know, they said the exact same thing when Price signed his 8 yr 10.5 mil contract….and that went sour immediately…

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Definitely didn't see this coming. Sets the ceiling on Lindholm's contract; if he wants a penny more Conroy had better send him packing.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I can't believe the organization didn't sell them for peanuts to have one big party late every June for the next half-decade or so where we can collectively hold our breath for lottery luck. Now they have to endure years of competitive hockey and possible playoff appearances, perhaps. Morons. Even the fans who show up and pay a ton of money might actually recognize some of the players on the ice now for a long time and feel a connection to the team. Dumb.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
You know, they said the exact same thing when Price signed his 8 yr 10.5 mil contract….and that went sour immediately…

And Price just about brought the cup back to Montreal two years ago. Chevy is a far better GM than any Habs GM since the price contract.

This Jets team is very balanced top to bottom. If Chevy can add some pieces to the back end and upgrade their bottom 6, I don’t see why this team couldn’t contend.

Schiefele
Perfetti
Vallardi
Lowry

That’s a really good team down the middle. I have a feeling Perfetti is going to make Jets fans quickly forget about PLD. He’s going to be that good.

Then you add in Connor and Ehlers and Iafalo and that’s a very balanced groupof forwards.

Prices best center he’s ever had in front of him was Tomas Plekanec. Not even comparable.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Good players but I think this might be a mistake for the Jets similar to what the Flames did last year with Huberdeau and Kadri. Don’t think it’s the right move for them.
This feels the same way ya. Rather than rebuilding they're commiting to the formula that didn't work.

Reactions: kenobiwan

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
And Price just about brought the cup back to Montreal two years ago. Chevy is a far better GM than any Habs GM since the price contract.

This Jets team is very balanced top to bottom. If Chevy can add some pieces to the back end and upgrade their bottom 6, I don’t see why this team couldn’t contend.

Schiefele
Perfetti
Vallardi
Lowry

That’s a really good team down the middle. I have a feeling Perfetti is going to make Jets fans quickly forget about PLD. He’s going to be that good.

Then you add in Connor and Ehlers and Iafalo and that’s a very balanced groupof forwards.

Prices best center he’s ever had in front of him was Tomas Plekanec. Not even comparable.

shesterkin?

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
giphy.gif

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Scheifele is a good player, for sure, and Hellebuyck is at least a top-10 goalie in the league, if not top-5, and I don't think anyone can deny that.

But with all the rumblings about Scheifele being toxic and Hellebuyck wanting to leave, wonder how it will affect the team overall, usually, there's no smoke without fire.

Cheveldayoff made a career statement with these contracts while in a bad spot, you can't let them leave for nothing, but the Jets ain't a top team either, I think that'll make or break the team, and his own position with the Jets.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Scheifele is a good player, for sure, and Hellebuyck is at least a top-10 goalie in the league, if not top-5, and I don't think anyone can deny that.

But with all the rumblings about Scheifele being toxic and Hellebuyck wanting to leave, wonder how it will affect the team overall, usually, there's no smoke without fire.

Cheveldayoff made a career statement with these contracts while in a bad spot, you can't let them leave for nothing, but the Jets ain't a top team either, I think that'll make or break the team, and his own position with the Jets.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Your opinion is that Hellebuyck wants to leave after signing a 7 year extension??

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Schiefele
Perfetti
Vallardi
Lowry

Villardi is starting the season on the wing with Connor and Scheifele. Opening night roster for the Jets still looks really deep

Connor - Scheifele - Villardi
Ehlers - Perfetti - Niederreiter
Iafallo - Lowry - Appleton
Barron - Kupari - Namestnikov

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
He had a 68 point season in a time where top end scoring is way up due to goalie equipment reductions.
I guess you can look at an outlier season and think it’s the norm. Doesn’t seem smart. But you can do it.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I just don’t understand why the Jets make either of these signings. They’re a team on the decline that should be looking to clean house and rebuild. They started extremely well last season, but had one of the worst mid-season collapses we’ve ever seen. They’re not a contender, and their prospect pool isn’t good enough to turn this aging group into a contender. Free agents don’t want to sign there. The list goes on and on.
Every team is ageing in theory. The Jets oldest player is 31. They have some very exciting young players coming up through the pipeline. They will be just fine.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I don't like giving retirement contracts to any player past 30, especially if they haven't won anything.

This contract is fine for the first 4 years but the last 4 will be bad.
Yes, the 8th year of a 7 year contract can be troubling.

• Haha

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I didn't like it but the team was completely devoid of young talent so the management decided to ride it out for 4 years.

The Jets have Perfetti/Vilardi to take the reigns.
And they still have them. Along with one of the best goalies in the league and a #1c for the foreseeable future.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
No one else was going to pay him 8.5 mil for 7 years.
Don’t kid yourself. GM’s trip over themselves trying to sign UFA’s all the time. Getting a free asset using someone else’s money is what they do best.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
Listen, I get you like Heiskanen, he's awesome. But you really need to stop spewing bullshit over Dahlin if you don't watch him and just want to beat the drum over your favorite player. This one dimensional BS hasn't been true for 2 years now.
Why are people brining up Dahlin at all in a thread about Mark Scheifele?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad