Waived: [WPG] D Nate Schmidt placed on waivers by the Jets for the purpose of buyout

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
All the best to Schmidt, seemed like a great guy and wasn’t a terrible defenseman for the most part. Just a very, very overpaid one on the downswing of his career.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The writing was on the wall last season.
He was out of the line up a lot.
By all accounts a really nice person.
Good luck Nate !!!

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Guy is a total stud and should have gms waiting in line for him like the Johns for hookers at the red light district.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I could see Utah going out and paying him 2yr at 2.9m a year
then it kind of makes no sense that Utah/Win didn't do a deal as the Jets dead cap for him this season is $2.7 mill, so doing retention to get to $3 mill dead this season made more sense (along with then dropping next year's dead cap down to $0) plus for Utah, the salary would be lower as he's due $4.85 mill this year, so half is $2.425 mill.

Pure money POV, Schmidt needs a deal at $1.6 mill to come out even this season. Question is whether he gets that or not as it does seem like Win was able to trade him for above retention amount. Maybe he does come in around that $1.6 mill amount.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
I used to love Schmidt on the Caps. Sad to see him fall like this.

He hasn't really fallen. He's just gotten older like every player does.

He will land somewhere and the fans of that team will be mostly happy with him. Seems like a great guy and he is still a more than capable defenceman. I would have wanted want him to stay with the Jets but I guess the cap hit is, sadly, too high.

Reactions: hn777

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Guess that answers the question of whether they could find a taker at max retention for the year. Would've seemed like the better outcome for the Jets. But even at ~$3M i guess there still wasn't a taker. Or he used his trade protection to nix anyway.

Weird career he's had. Wonder where he ends up next, on a minimum sort of deal. Gets to pick his spot, which isn't really something he's had a chance to fully do for a long time now.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Dude lost his mojo once they took away his special ass pricks

His play definitely did do a major nose dive after that. He was a terrific top 4 dman with Vegas for a couple years.

Wonder how much can be attributed to the PEDs and how much is the mental side of being caught, playing in Canada, big contract etc and how much is just regular aging.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
His play definitely did do a major nose dive after that. He was a terrific top 4 dman with Vegas for a couple years.

Wonder how much can be attributed to the PEDs and how much is the mental side of being caught, playing in Canada, big contract etc and how much is just regular aging.
I know this is a common excuse but it sounds like he was just tested positive for trace amounts of a banned substance that was likely in a supplement he took:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4808271

As someone who competes in powerlifting I have taken pre-workout that contained a stimulant that was on wada’s banned list without knowing at the time.

In Schmidt’s case he was still a very good defensemen for them after he was caught. On top of that I don’t see how steroids would help a player that much. As long as you have a solid build and are in good enough shape to skate well and play a lot of minutes then the cast majority of improving your game comes down to what you do at the rink. Look at most hockey players physiques, most of them have pretty big legs but not many of them look like they bench much more than 2 plates.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00