Would you rather sign Darnell Nurse 9.25M x 3 or 9.25M x 8 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

If you had to sign Darnell Nurse to one of the following contracts, which would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
With the cap potentially rising in the future, assuming you had to sign Nurse to a 9.25M contract - would you want to sign him for 3 years or 8 years (where the deal may look better as the cap rises)?

This is assuming the contract started at the same time the Oilers originally signed him, starting in the 2022-2023 season.

Also, with a 3 year deal signed you risk having to pay him more if he outperforms the contract and you want to keep him in the future.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
3 years, easy

In 2 years, Nurse wouldn't be a 9.25M d man even with a rising cap. He's a 7M calibre d man who would probably get ~7.5M in an open market

Reactions: LightningStorm

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
3 years, easy

In 2 years, Nurse wouldn't be a 9.25M d man even with a rising cap. He's a 7M calibre d man who would probably get ~7.5M in an open market

That's my view on it also.

However, @North Cole was arguing that Nurse would get an 8 year x 10.25M contract following his 3 year contract because of the rising cap if the Oilers choose to go that route. He was arguing most Oilers fans preferred 8 years over 3 years because of the discount they're getting on Nurse after the 3 years. Wanted to take it to the polls as maybe I'm the one that was mistaken... doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Reactions: North Cole

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Kind of tough tbh, I don't think Nurse is a 9.5 dman, but 3 years doesn't buy a lot of security and there is no guarantee any D man comes in to make up the difference. I will probably say 3 years, but only because I would gamble on Nurse taking a similar cap in 3 years after the cap ceiling rises.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The Oilers, without any calibre of defence similar to Nurse and nobody in the pipeline to replace him had no choice but to secure Nurse as long as possible.

Reactions: GreeningOil

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
3 years at that AAV would’ve actually made a ton of sense for Edmonton because it lets them capitalize on Nurse’s last “great” years. Now they have to pay they’re getting negative value back on the last 5 years of the deal.

Nurse isn’t a Cup winning Dman. Oilers have depth and goalie problems for sure but I watched most all of the Oilers playoffs the last few years and the guy makes a lot of errors. At that AAV he needs to be more effective defensively IMHO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll buy the argument he'd get the same money or even a pay rise in 25-26. The day hasn't dawned when NHL GMs don't hand over huge amounts of money to big dmen with a bit of skill and who can skate.

The question is whether you'd want your GM to be that GM and I suspect the answer is nope.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Overpay for 3 years or overpay for 8 years?

Is this supposed to be difficult?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews isnt worth 13.5M x 3

Nurse at 3 should get 6M

Matthews at 3 should get 9M

Only leafs management know how to overpay a player highly on AAV amd get 3 year term only

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Neither please.

The contract was horrible from the day he signed it, and he’s regressed as a player every year since.

As someone said, he’s a 7m defenseman making top pairing elite D man money.

Too many mistakes, too risky of a play style.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The real answer is: you don't pays him that much money, ever, as he's overpaid by at least 2, arguably 3 millions per years

As for the pool, 3 years obviously: the shorter that contract, the better. Nurse has a top 5 worst contracts in the league right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad