Would it make sense to eliminate the goalie playing the puck behind the net?

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
If you wanna dump the puck, you can throw it off the boards to own guy or shoot hard enough to avoid the goalie. I'd remove the trapezoid and let goalie play where ever he can.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can guarantee you that everyone already understands the concept of the dirty parts of the ice. Everyone who has watched more than one game.

As for the other stuff that you think is a blight, you are saying that every stick check should be called a slash. I tap a guy carrying the puck with a love tap on the pants that gives me no competitive advantage nor endangers anyone you want that called? A guy trys to protect the puck along the boards with his keister you want me to leave the prime defensive position ( between him and the net) and I have to release him, skate around him to address the puck? Why? I'll just cross check him in the lower back, no one gets hurt and I might move him.

No, not every stick check would be a slash. Not if you're going for the puck. But yeah, why not call a penalty if you whack a guy in the leg for no reason away from the play? Why leave that ambiguous grey area where you can commit penalties some of the time, as long as its not too bad. What's too bad? There is no reason to allow it. It adds nothing to the game at all.

And shoving and cross checking are two different things. Shove him with your gloves. Don't hit him with your stick.

Penalties are penalties because they afford competitive advantage. If away from the puck after a hit two guys want to give each other the business, good. Let em.

I completely disagree.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Why do almost all rule change suggestions have to do with affecting the goalie?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No, not every stick check would be a slash. Not if you're going for the puck. But yeah, why not call a penalty if you whack a guy in the leg for no reason away from the play? Why leave that ambiguous grey area where you can commit penalties some of the time, as long as its not too bad. What's too bad? There is no reason to allow it. It adds nothing to the game at all.

And shoving and cross checking are two different things. Shove him with your gloves. Don't hit him with your stick.

I completely disagree.

Why do you completely disagree? Two guys giving each other little shove a little slash to the shin pads isnrt going to hurt anyone and it's fantastically unlikely to affect the play. So long as it doesn't escalate to endanger the players, let it slide. Someone two hands a guy behind the knee behind the play then absolutely call that.

We already have guys diving ( which is a real scourge) and other stealty ways to draw calls ( the chicken winging of a stick to draw a hook)ym. Those calls result not from the actions of the transgressor but the "aggreived". The defender isn't gaining an adwantage by having his stick clamped between the guys side and his inner arm. I'd love to never see another one of these chinzty calls but you buy the bookers are empowering this type of chicanery that is, in my opinion, a far bigger threat to the game than a stick check or comming the cardinal sin of getting your stick parallel to the ice for any reason.

I'm not an anarchist, there needs to be rules but these rules should still have context. A weak ass stick check IS different than a slask even if the stick hits the player in the exact same spot. By the book means everytime a team set up in the offensive zone they gwt a powerplayy based on what happens in front of the net. Every time my blade touches another player anywhere other than his stick it's a whistle. It's nonsense.

Watch any game and everytime you see something that is techically illegal pause the game and see how long it takes.

If you don't think that you are a real buy the booker then what you arre saying is that you acknowledge that calls are subjective but you don't like the current threshold of subjectivity which doesn't make reffing any less subjective.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Why do you completely disagree? Two guys giving each other little shove a little slash to the shin pads isnrt going to hurt anyone and it's fantastically unlikely to affect the play. So long as it doesn't escalate to endanger the players, let it slide. Someone two hands a guy behind the knee behind the play then absolutely call that.

99% of the time, you're right. But guys always try to walk the line of what's legal. And someone eventually crosses it. The farther the line is from dangerous, the less likely that 1/100 guy hurts someone. The other 99 times add nothing to the game anyway, so why allow them?

We already have guys diving ( which is a real scourge) and other stealty ways to draw calls ( the chicken winging of a stick to draw a hook)ym. Those calls result not from the actions of the transgressor but the "aggreived". The defender isn't gaining an adwantage by having his stick clamped between the guys side and his inner arm. I'd love to never see another one of these chinzty calls but you buy the bookers are empowering this type of chicanery that is, in my opinion, a far bigger threat to the game than a stick check or comming the cardinal sin of getting your stick parallel to the ice for any reason.

I'm not an anarchist, there needs to be rules but these rules should still have context. A weak ass stick check IS different than a slask even if the stick hits the player in the exact same spot. By the book means everytime a team set up in the offensive zone they gwt a powerplayy based on what happens in front of the net. Every time my blade touches another player anywhere other than his stick it's a whistle. It's nonsense.

Honestly, I would be perfectly happy with them adjusting the actual threshold on some of these calls to get the right balance. If calling the game by the book doesn't work, change the book. Obstruction is what needs to really change imo, not the stick fouls. And I see that as a completely different issue than the stuff away from the play.

Watch any game and everytime you see something that is techically illegal pause the game and see how long it takes.

But if you start calling things differently, the players will stop doing the things that are getting called.

If you don't think that you are a real buy the booker then what you arre saying is that you acknowledge that calls are subjective but you don't like the current threshold of subjectivity which doesn't make reffing any less subjective.

I think there are a ton of calls where the refs watch a penalty, know its a penalty, but don't call it. Especially when its someone defending star players. Crosby, McDavid, Kane, Ovi, these guys take more sticks and holds and everything than anybody else in the game and its stupid. That's what I hate. I don't want more powerplays. I really don't. I want less obstruction.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
99% of the time, you're right. But guys always try to walk the line of what's legal. And someone eventually crosses it. The farther the line is from dangerous, the less likely that 1/100 guy hurts someone. The other 99 times add nothing to the game anyway, so why allow them?

Honestly, I would be perfectly happy with them adjusting the actual threshold on some of these calls to get the right balance. If calling the game by the book doesn't work, change the book. Obstruction is what needs to really change imo, not the stick fouls. And I see that as a completely different issue than the stuff away from the play.

But if you start calling things differently, the players will stop doing the things that are getting called.

I think there are a ton of calls where the refs watch a penalty, know its a penalty, but don't call it. Especially when its someone defending star players. Crosby, McDavid, Kane, Ovi, these guys take more sticks and holds and everything than anybody else in the game and its stupid. That's what I hate. I don't want more powerplays. I really don't. I want less obstruction.

The last part is complete nonsense. None of those guys ride the blue and by the book there is likely no players who is more routinely subject to illegal play that guys like brendan gallagher. Literally multiple independent calls every shift and there isn't a snowballs chance in he'll that any of the players you mentioned would have gotten through that winnepeg debaucle without drawing a whistle.

If you are a #3 #4 D and you see these guys bsarreling towards you what do you expect them to do? Be a revolving door and get blown by? No they are going to try to level it out by getting as close to a penalty as possible. They misjudge and go over its a deuce, but the notion that they get by unimpeded is nonsense.

They get their fare sharew of 50/50 calls. What you seem to be wanting is that based on their skill or star power they get 100% of the 50/50 calls which makes zero sense.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, now I just really disagree. The stars in the NHL are hooked, held, slashed, etc, far far more than anybody else in the league. Aside from net front guys I guess. I'll give you that. But I also already admitted that I'm ok with exceptions for guys planted in front of the goalie.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, now I just really disagree. The stars in the NHL are hooked, held, slashed, etc, far far more than anybody else in the league. Aside from net front guys I guess. I'll give you that. But I also already admitted that I'm me with exceptions for guys planted in front of the goalie.

Then you aren't a by the booker, you just have a different threshold for where the line should be drawn. But its still subjective. It seems you want subjectivity to only be applied to benefit the stars. That brendan Gallagher can get repeatedly mugged in front but any star player gets impeded even in a miniscule way, you want it called.

Real calls that create or deny scoring chances should always be called. Outside of that, its subjective which means where you draw the line and I draw the line will almost certainly be different.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Then you aren't a by the booker, you just have a different threshold for where the line should be drawn. But its still subjective. It seems you want subjectivity to only be applied to benefit the stars. That brendan Gallagher can get repeatedly mugged in front but any star player gets impeded even in a miniscule way, you want it called.

Real calls that create or deny scoring chances should always be called. Outside of that, its subjective which means where you draw the line and I draw the line will almost certainly be different.

you're clearly not understanding what I'm saying, because in no way have I even hinted to wanting that. I want them to call the same things for the stars as everyone else. As it stands, they call less. Way less. 50/50 sounds like they should call about half of them, but they call maybe 5% of the garbage that guys like Sid, Geno, McDavid, Kane, Gaudreau, etc deal with every game. I don't want to see these guys on the powerplay all night. I want to see guys forced to try to defend them legally. As is, there's no reason to. They call the penalties so infrequently that you are always going to come out ahead by fouling them.

And yes, the net front stuff I am ok with having different standards. They can't just let guys have free reign in the crease. That goes for Hornqvist (and Sid, who isn't a stranger to the crease) on my team too. If you want to put your ass in the goalies face, you have to expect the other team to try to move you out of the way.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
No please. Goalies that can play the puck make differences in the game.

I also think that defensemen would be absolutely destroyed behind the net.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Henrik Lundqvist approves

But, no, I love watching a goalie like Price thwart puck retrievals from forecheckers to get his team out of their own end. A goalies job is to prevent the scoring of goals against and doing such a thing helps that cause.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Henrik Lundqvist approves

But, no, I love watching a goalie like Price thwart puck retrievals from forecheckers to get his team out of their own end. A goalies job is to prevent the scoring of goals against and doing such a thing helps that cause.

Exactly this.
And if you don't want Price to play the puck, don't dump it.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Hanke boy makes Girardi look like Karlsson when it comes to puck moving. Like every Rangers fan, cringe when he vacates the blue paint.

I don't know, the only reason I say this is because Forwards will have more of a reason to chase behind the net and such and well...

There's less of that when the tendy comes out to play it.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Exactly this.
And if you don't want Price to play the puck, don't dump it.

Well they did make the trapezoid to stop brodeur. It is fun seeing goalies play the puck but if you have a good enough puck handling goalie you can run a pretty much unbeatable trap.

And trap hockey sucks for everyone involved it's so boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad