Horse Racing: $197 million spent through so far at Keeneland sale; $90.1 million bet at Ky. Downs, up 8% from 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The 2024-25 Gulfstream Park Championship Meet will run November 28 - March 30.

The Pegasus World Cup will run January 25.

The Florida Derby will run March 29. I like Todd Pletcher's horse(s), just saying.:cool:

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1724282328124.png

Parx is hosting Smarty Jones Day on Saturday. The race is one of four that will be aired on NBC Sports Philadelphia from 3:00-5:00 pm ET. The race named for local hero Smarty Jones has a 4:45 pm ET post time.

Smarty was 9 8-1-0 lifetime and earned $7.6 million lifetime. His story will never be forgotten.

1724282188926.png

Parx on Saturday:

RacePurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
1$19,000Maiden Claiming6 FDirt1212:40 PM ET
2$23,000Claiming6 FDirt71:10 PM ET
3$75,000Salvatore M. DeBunda Sprint S.6 1/2 FDirt61:40 PM ET
4$100,000Parx Dash S.5 FTurf82:10 PM ET
5$50,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 1/16 MTurf102:40 PM ET
6$75,000Mayor's Mile S.1 MDirt73:15 PM ET
7$75,000State Representative's Sprint S.6 1/2 FDirt83:45 PM ET
8$200,000Cathryn Sophia S.1 M 70 YDirt84:15 PM ET
9$200,000Smarty Jones S.1 1/16 MDirt64:45 PM ET
10$21,000Claiming6 FDirt115:15 PM ET

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
TV schedule:

DateProgramTimeNetwork/Social Media
Aug. 22"Saratoga Live"1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.FS2
Aug. 22Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
Aug. 22Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
Aug. 23"Saratoga Live"12:30 p.m.-7 p.m.FS2
Aug. 23Live coverage of horse racing including broadcast of the King's Plate Stakes and Charles Town Classic Stakespost time variesFanDuel TV
Aug. 23"King’s Plate LIVE 2.0"5 p.m.Facebook, X, and YouTube
Aug. 23Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
Aug. 24"Saratoga Live" and "Saratoga Saturdays" including broadcast of the Travers Stakes11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on FS2, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m. on FS1, 3 p.m.-6:30 p.m. on FOXFOX, FS1, and FS2
Aug. 24Live coverage of horse racing including broadcast of the Pat O'Brien Stakespost time variesFanDuel TV
Aug. 24Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network
Aug. 25"Saratoga Live"1 p.m.-3 p.m. on FS2, 3 p.m.-4 p.m. on FS1, 4 p.m.-7 p.m. on FS2FS2 and FS1
Aug. 25Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
Aug. 25Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network

• Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wednesday August 21, 2024

Cross Country Pick 5 bet available for Friday, Aug. 23
  • Leg A: Woodbine - Race 8 Bold Venture (G3)
  • Leg B: Monmouth - Race 8
  • Leg C: Woodbine - Race 9 King's Plate
  • Leg D: Saratoga - Race 10 Personal Ensign (G1)
  • Leg E: Woodbine - Race 10 Catch A Glimpse
Saratoga (New York):
  • Chalk: Favorites won five of the nine races. The $1 Pick 6 paid slightly more than $1,200.
  • Leading Jockeys: Irad Ortiz over Tyler Gaffalione by just five victories.
  • Leading Trainers: Chad Brown over Michael Maker by six victories.
  • Christopher Clement has just six wins this meet and at 11% that mark, too, is low; however, he has $1.2 million in earnings and that ranks fifth best.
  • All Right! A Korea War vet named "Rusty," who has been coming to Saratoga since 1933 (per one report), celebrated a birthday at the oval today.
1724284567821.png

Delaware Park (Delaware):
  • Race 7: The Grey Wizard (John Velazquez/Graham Motion) won the $200,000 Cape Henlopen in a rare ride for the Hall of Fame rider at Delaware. It was his lone mount. Velazquez was issued a suspension today for an August 16 race at Saratoga in which he was DQ'd from a victory. The suspension will be served August 28-30.
Horseshoe Indy (Indiana):
  • Handle: Exceeded $3 million. This card last year handled $1.4 million.
  • Race 8: Demolisher (Emmanuel Esquivel/Cipriano Contreras) won the $100,000 Bucchero Stakes. Strong Tide (Edgar Morales/Michal Lauer) was sent off the prohibitive favorite at 1-to-5 but was vanned off following an injury that prevented the horse from becoming the richest Indiana-bred ever; thankfully, the injury isn't life threatening though serious.

York (England):
  • Ryan Moore-Aidan O'Brien teamed for three straight wins two of which were part of the Breeders' Cup Challenge Series.
  • Race 2: The Lion in Winter (Ryan Moore/Aidan O'Brien) won the $209,000 Group 3 Acomb Stakes which is part of the Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In" Challenge Series.
  • Race 3: Los Angeles (Ryan Moore/Aidan O'Brien) won the $339,000 Group 2 race.
  • Race 4: City of Troy (Ryan Moore/Aidan O'Brien) set a course record in a wonderful performance to win the Group I $1.5 million Juddmonte International Stakes which is part of the Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In" Challenge Series. The son of Triple Crown winner Justify is 7 6-0-1 lifetime and has won four Group I races.
----------------------

Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith’s City of Troy recorded a spectacular success Wednesday under Ryan Moore in the Juddmonte International Stakes (G1) at York. With his victory in the 1 1/4-mile contest for 3-year-olds and up, City of Troy earned an automatic starting position into the $7 million Longines Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) through the Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series: Win and You’re In.

Earlier in the program, The Lion in Winter (IRE) was an impressive winner of the Tattersalls Acomb Stakes (G3) over 7 furlongs for 2-year-olds, landing an automatic berth into the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (G1).

The Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series is an international series of 82 stakes races whose winners receive automatic starting positions and fees paid into a corresponding race of the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, scheduled to be held Nov. 1-2 at Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in Del Mar, California.

It was to the surprise of many that Ryan Moore made the running on City of Troy in the Juddmonte International. Sent off as the 5-4 favorite, the son of Justify broke sharply from the stalls with Moore eager to take control early. He quickly seized the lead, showing too much speed for his intended pacemaker, Hans Anderson (GB).

Last edited:
  • Love

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A name from the past.

Ashley Castrenze is training a horse in race 5 at Delaware. I think this is her first go as a trainer. She rode briefly until roughly five years ago. She made headlines by winning with her first four mounts which by some accounts had never been recorded previously; of course, records are incomplete considering the sport is well over 150 years old in some spots in North America.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Interesting note by Ed DeRosa. There are 43 tracks that have conducted 200+ races this year in North America. The lowest total of favorites to have won in order:

1. Turfway 30.5%
2. Woodbine.(Canada)
3. Saratoga
4. Century Mile (Canada)
5. Oaklawn.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
just noticed something very unusual.

above is changes/scratches for todays' card in saratoga. this i noticed right away, especially for the 5th race:

Scratch Reason - Reason Unavailable changed to PrivVet-Illness

is there a malady that's spreading around around some of the barns that i'm not aware of?
Not that I heard. A friend told me a few days ago his horse was scratched (not NY) due to an illness.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Interesting note by Ed DeRosa. There are 43 tracks that have conducted 200+ races this year in North America. The lowest total of favorites to have won in order:

1. Turfway 30.5%
2. Woodbine.(Canada)
3. Saratoga
4. Century Mile (Canada)
5. Oaklawn.
of course with my luck that will change. ever race that i wager on in TP and woodbine the winners will all pay $3.40. saratoga bumped up their percentage slightly from yesterday's card.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
of course with my luck that will change. ever race that i wager on in TP and woodbine the winners will all pay $3.40. saratoga bumped up their percentage slightly from yesterday's card.
Oaklawn is synonymous with value and has been for a while. Turfway was a conversation piece this year though it raced mostly at night. The others in that list surprised me though Century Mile is under-the-radar by comparison.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Oaklawn is synonymous with value and has been for a while. Turfway was a conversation piece this year though it raced mostly at night. The others in that list surprised me though Century Mile is under-the-radar by comparison.
yes. there is value in oaklawn. handicapping the races there is way different than any of the new york tracks.

speaking of value i'm waiting for the kentucky downs meet to begin.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
just watched the last race in saratoga (race 7). no doubt frankie d committed an infraction by coming out. but that ride by rosario was just really bad.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thursday, August 22, 2024
  • Brittany Russell completed a hot week in which she was 15 6-4-1 (40%/73%) the past seven days.
Saratoga (New York):
  • Handle: $13.1 million.
  • Attendance: 24,000.
  • Dylan Davis had a 2-win day. He and leader Irad Ortiz, Jr. are the only riders at the meet above 20% (minimum 3+ wins -- 19 total). He has been exceptional.
  • Race 1: With the Angels (Jose Ortiz/Linda Rice) obliterated the field by more than 11 lengths in a debut performance in which seven of the eight starters hot the track for the first time. That horse has further potential.
  • Race 2: Beaute Cachee (Frankie Dettori/Chad Brown) won the Grade 2 $300,000 Ballston Spa Stakes by a neck. Brown finished 1-2-3 in a field of four. The entries included four horses eventually scratched. Not a good look for a graded stakes at Saratoga.
  • Race 3: French-breds won consecutive races.
  • Race 5: A field reduced to three horses due to six vet scratches for illness.
  • Race 6: The $.10 super paid over $1,000. Value for someone. The third place horse was the lone first-timer and went off 15-to-1.
  • Race 7: Headline Numbers (Flavien Prat/Chad Brown) was elevated to victory following a DQ to Camera (Frankie Dettori/Todd Pletcher) who was ruled to have come in the path of third place finisher Whocouldaskformo (Joel Rosario/Shug McGaughey). All three trainers Hall of Famers are or will be in the Hall but a rare battle for position with New York's two heavyweights as well. I haven't seen a documented replay that warranted a DQ.

Fair Grounds (Louisiana):
  • Card: Fair Grounds is running a quarter horse meet.
  • Race 9: The $.50 Pick 4 paid $3.70 to those who hit two legs. The $1 Pick 6 paid $3.50 and to those who hit three legs. That is bewildering.
Del Mar (California):
  • Race 3: Canada Gate (Juan Hernandez/Bob Baffert) held off a charging Magnify (Kazushi Kimura/Bob Baffert) to win the $75,000 MSW in a battle of previously winless stablemates. The all-Baffert exacta paid $11.50, a steal in a short field of five with the runner up sent off at an extraordinary 13-to-1.

Last edited:
  • Love

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad