Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Just my two cents, but weren't people assuming that we were drafting Fantilli because he was "Verbeek's type of player?"
Strome and Vatrano also does not scream "Verbeek type of a player". Gudas game kind of is but he is undersized.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I would be annoyed if we took Helenius at 3 but I would be fine trading down to get something + him, if that's really who our team wants.

Besides being average sized he plays bigger and has a strong base, good at everything and extremely smart in every zone at 17, also a right shot. Watching him I get Zetterberg, Forsberg lite vibes, has that kind of IQ and skill set and motor. He's also a guy that can play in the NHL next season if they want. But 3 does seem like a stretch... if nothing other than the ceiling doesnt seem super high.

If Verbeek did grab him I would have to think he believes he'll be a #2C at the least, not a wing, and I'd also be expecting a trade of one of the young C's on the roster.

Reactions: forever1922

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Just my two cents, but weren't people assuming that we were drafting Fantilli because he was "Verbeek's type of player?"
I mean, atleast that's why I kept telling myself to stay reassured Fantilli was our guy.

I'm sure the decisions are made by committee to some degree so it's not completely up to Verbeek, especially the deeper we get in the draft.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I mean, atleast that's why I kept telling myself to stay reassured Fantilli was our guy.

I'm sure the decisions are made by committee to some degree so it's not completely up to Verbeek, especially the deeper we get in the draft.
Depends on how much Verbeek trusts/depends on our scouts and Madden. Or if he just ignores them and takes the guy he likes.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Current ESPN post lottery mock draft..
1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.25.24 PM.png

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Depends on how much Verbeek trusts/depends on our scouts and Madden. Or if he just ignores them and takes the guy he likes.
GM does not usually have first hand insight past first round, just spotty from viewings from those draft eligibles he sees while viewing others. Scouts do.

So yes to some extent a GM gets the final word, usually the GMs only call the top picks and AGM or director of scouting does the rest. I haven't heard there was a huge change from the past. You can actually hear it from the way Pat talks about the picks. Either it's a guy he liked etc. or a guy the scouts/their team really liked.

And I'm pretty sure Cronin actually talked a little about how the team handles the draft when he was asked. So if you wanted a comprehensive idea, you would have to piece it all together and make an educated guess.

Edit. Actually last year on Light the Lamp / Ducks stream Madden went over the draft pretty much, and it was clear he had a big role in the picks. Regarding the #2 pick, he mentions the cross over group of scouts and personnel who saw each top prospect play multiple times live made the decision and it was unanimously Carlsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Current ESPN post lottery mock draft..
1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
View attachment 868373
I personally think

Levshunov and Demidov are in a tier above the rest and slightly below celebrini …. So I’d love to grab either.

There is a good chance Chicago will take levshunov, I think there is also the possibility of us not wanting Demidov…. Which will make this pick very awkward.

Really wish we’d see the teams list post draft…. If the team is really high on levshunov I wonder if there is ever a chance we try to trade up to 2

Reactions: Vaakou and tomd

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I still think there's very little chance CHI passes on Demidov. Besides Bedard, he's the best pure offensive prospect I've seen since maybe Jack Hughes. I'm actually surprised there hasnt been more talk about him being an equal or better prospect than Celebrini.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I still think there's very little chance CHI passes on Demidov. Besides Bedard, he's the best pure offensive prospect I've seen since maybe Jack Hughes. I'm actually surprised there hasnt been more talk about him being an equal or better prospect than Celebrini.
Roster construction could be a factor. Bedard, Nazar,Reichel, and another name I’m forgetting are all sub 6’. Adding Demidov would make their future top 6 one of the smallest in the league. Not built for the playoffs at all. The Ducks OTOH have a lot of size up front and could afford a smaller player in Demidov. It will be interesting.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Roster construction could be a factor. Bedard, Nazar,Reichel, and another name I’m forgetting are all sub 6’. Adding Demidov would make their future top 6 one of the smallest in the league. Not built for the playoffs at all. The Ducks OTOH have a lot of size up front and could afford a smaller player in Demidov. It will be interesting.
True, but talentwise he'd leapfrog all those players besides Bedard and easily be their best wing. There's talk of Demidov open to playing C, which seems reasonable with his motor and craftiness, think i'd keep him at wing. Not many guys can dictate play like he has from the wing.

if I'm the Hawks I take him and worry about size around those two guys after.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Reminds me of a more aggressive/physical Aho.
I like both comparisons, having watched both absolutely crap on my favorite team in Liiga. Aho even more so. Grown ass Liiga pros couldn't catch him. His motor was completely unrivaled.

Helenius is nowhere near as athletic, and not as good of a playmaker, neither had a very good shot at that age. Aho controlled the play to a completely superior level however. Where Helenius shines is exactly in his aggressiveness, drives to the net and willingness to create and finish.

Now if it sounds like Aho was better at everything, yes he was. That's why Aho is elite 1C and Helenius looks like a fine 2C.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Is Demidov more of a playmaker, scorer, or can do everything? If Ducks do add him, hopefully they draft a couple of defensive RD with size and physicality with the next two picks. Demidov would let the Ducks run 3 legit scoring lines in a few years or just load up the top 6.

Gauthier Carlsson Demidov
Zegras McTavish Terry

Or pair up a bigger guy and a smaller guy
Carlsson Terry
McTavish Demidov
Zegras Gauthier

Then plug in hard working, preferably bigger guys that can go to the net. Colangelo might be a good start to that model.

Reactions: tomd

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Kind of getting the sense that levshunov isn't going to be around at 3.
As great as a Demidov-Bedard duo would be, their forward core is just too small as it is. I really think they go Levshunov. This guy echos my thoughts.

The only top 6 that looks like that in the NHL right now is Arizona/Utah, and they have been exclusively drafting giants recently.

Reactions: tomd and Static

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah I was looking at the Stars roster yesterday. Basically every single player on their team outside of Stankoven is 6'1 or taller lol. They're like Verbeek's wet dream team.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
If he's available at 3 I could also see us going after Demidov for the timing. If he comes over to the US 2 years post draft we should (please) be a competitive team, having a player like him on an ELC would probably be really helpful.

Reactions: lwvs84

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really hope Madden impresses on verbeek to pick best available and not shoehorn in a dman just because.

However, if we go forward it does increase the chance that zegras is moved. Pick our poison as fans, I guess.

There aren't any other RDs in this draft I'd be comfortable taking at 3. Maybe trading down really is an option, but so much of that groundwork has to be done before the draft since we don't know what Chicago is going to do. That's really hard, most of those big trades are made before the draft happens, not during.

It's much different trading down from 15 to 30 with all that time watching the draft unfold than going from 3 to 5 or 3 to 9 30 seconds after Chicago picks.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Teams heavily weight how a player will fit into a team when drafting. This alters their 'best available' to incorporate a players role in a team structure. We see this every year when teams draft even at the top end of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad