Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 34 17.4%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 80 41.0%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Sennecke is really talented. If he checks out behind the scenes I wouldn't mind that pick.

The dmen just seem so underwhelming; all of them have one big weakness that does not scream top five pick. Maybe they are just being over-scouted at this point.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sennecke is really talented. If he checks out behind the scenes I wouldn't mind that pick.

The dmen just seem so underwhelming; all of them have one big weakness that does not scream top five pick. Maybe they are just being over-scouted at this point.
Idk if it’s underwhelming but no one really separates themselves from the other dmen… like I’d take levshunov Dickinson buium saliyev yakemchuk over the top 2 dmen last draft. To me it is a strong draft for dmen.

Forwards outside of celebrini I’d have a hard time picking any over carlsson fantilli smith michkov Leonard benson

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Sennecke is talented but for a winger to go 3rd overall without elite skating he has to be really good. I think it would be unfair to call him a passenger but in my view he was never the driving force of his line and clearly benefitted from playing on an overpowered team and with two very strong veteran linemates. He's a big natural goal scorer with good hands and a good motor but I'm not sure if he's top10, let alone top3 material. He wasn't dominant enough to justify such a pick from what I've seen.

Reactions: Static

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I could say the same think about the forwards not named Macklin tbh.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Scouts talk to each other all the time and I could see someone casually mention they like player x or player y. But we don't know the context of the conversation. As to the Russian thing, I think that was mostly conjecture on Mccagg's part. If the Ducks love a Russian then they'll take a Russian.
I don't doubt that scouts are friendly to each other and at times shoot the breeze. But short of intentional misdirection I have serious doubts they spill the beans about why their team does or doesn't really like a player. That's proprietary information that can cost you your job.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't doubt that scouts are friendly to each other and at times shoot the breeze. But short of intentional misdirection I have serious doubts they spill the beans about why their team does or doesn't really like a player. That's proprietary information that can cost you your job.
I certainly agree.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The athletic is a scam.

Which holes are you talking about? There are none. That's what I was talking about the entire time. He's a mature prospect who dominated the WHL at will. On a bad team. The only question is how much of his offense is gonna translate to the NHL.
Lol that The Athletic is a scam. I gladly pay my annual subscription for quality writing and coverage. I easily get my money's worth in enjoyment from that site.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
While true, they certainly do it from time to time. I feel like any time Montreal has had a top ten pick there’s been a pretty good idea of who they like and have selected every time. But maybe that was at least partly on purpose given the three times I’m thinking of would’ve been total stunners if not for word leaking.

For McCagg I also do think there’s a major difference in the whispers of Carlsson last year and Yakemchuk/Sennecke this year. The former probably could’ve been pieced together by context clues, namely Verbeek being seemingly open to trading with Columbus. The latter flat out requires a lot more, both of those guys aren’t major favorites for that spot. Almost certainly someone would have to be talking.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The athletic is a scam.

Which holes are you talking about? There are none. That's what I was talking about the entire time. He's a mature prospect who dominated the WHL at will. On a bad team. The only question is how much of his offense is gonna translate to the NHL.

Pronman loves Yakemchuk and Yakemchuk is his third best rated player, behind Celebrini and Levshunov.

Tier 1, elite NHL'er: Celebrini
Tier 2, bubble elite to NHL all-star: Levshunov
Tier 3, NHL all-star: Yakemchuk, Silayev, Buium

Here's the snippet on Yakemchuk from Pronman's ratings (the Athletic):
Yakemchuk, Pronman Report.png

There are holes there, but you're willing to omit them from your own scouting purposes. From that scouting report, Yakemchuk is a 6'3 OFD. Maybe the reports that Yakemchuk is difficult to play against might have been on Yakemchuk playing offense and not defense.

Defensively, Yakemchuk isn't raising the level of play for his team with a -6 rating. Half the team was in the positive +/- rating. The team high was +29. The highest +/- d-man was a +18.

If some scout thinks his comp is Mintyukov, then Yakemchuk should fall around the #10 pick range. Sure, we're banking on what a player could be into the future, but are we taking into account that player's history beyond his D+0 season? Pair that with a poor showing at the combine, then we have yet another player with risks to choose from behind Celebrini.

Reactions: tomd

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Its not a stretch to think the Ducks like Yakemchuk.

He is a big, mean, aggressive, elite skilled, 6'3 202lb RD 30 goal scorer with a huge shot playing on a terrible team that forced him to try to do everything and was voted the hardest player to play against. His offence is translatable and his deficiencies are coachable. There was an Athletic article that said he was still growing as his brothers grew late. He got votes in an Athletic article from scouts for having the best hands, best shot (multiple votes) and most competitive (multiple votes).

Just because lots of people have him potentially outside the top 10 in a year that is all over the place doesnt mean teams dont like him. If the ducks like him and pick him at 3 are people really going to question their scouting of defenders?

Here are some quotes in an Athletic article from scouts and Execs on Yekemchuk.

Scout 3: “Yakemchuk can be a No. 1 defenseman. He’s big, mean, athletic, and has a ton of natural offensive abilities. He’s a guy you build a winner around.”

Scout 7: “It would be real close for me between Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Dickinson, and depending what day I wake up I have a different one at the top.

Scout 9: “I have the least concerns about Yakemchuk. He’s consistently competitive and he creates a ton of offense. I feel he defends better than Levshunov, who would be No. 2 for me.”

Scout 3: “Carter Yakemchuk. I keep seeing him at 11-12 and it surprises me. He could be the best defenseman in the draft when it’s all said and done.”

Scout 4: “I see Artyom Levshunov often mentioned as the No. 1 D in this class and I don’t see it. He may be when it’s all said and done, but Dickinson, Buium, Yakemchuk, Silayev are right there with him for me. It’s certainly not a clear-cut situation.”

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Its not a stretch to think the Ducks like Yakemchuk.

He is a big, mean, aggressive, elite skilled, 6'3 202lb RD 30 goal scorer with a huge shot playing on a terrible team that forced him to try to do everything and was voted the hardest player to play against. His offence is translatable and his deficiencies are coachable. There was an Athletic article that said he was still growing as his brothers grew late. He got votes in an Athletic article from scouts for having the best hands, best shot (multiple votes) and most competitive (multiple votes).

Just because lots of people have him potentially outside the top 10 in a year that is all over the place doesnt mean teams dont like him. If the ducks like him and pick him at 3 are people really going to question their scouting of defenders?

Here are some quotes in an Athletic article from scouts and Execs on Yekemchuk.

Scout 3: “Yakemchuk can be a No. 1 defenseman. He’s big, mean, athletic, and has a ton of natural offensive abilities. He’s a guy you build a winner around.”

Scout 7: “It would be real close for me between Levshunov, Yakemchuk and Dickinson, and depending what day I wake up I have a different one at the top.

Scout 9: “I have the least concerns about Yakemchuk. He’s consistently competitive and he creates a ton of offense. I feel he defends better than Levshunov, who would be No. 2 for me.”

Scout 3: “Carter Yakemchuk. I keep seeing him at 11-12 and it surprises me. He could be the best defenseman in the draft when it’s all said and done.”

Scout 4: “I see Artyom Levshunov often mentioned as the No. 1 D in this class and I don’t see it. He may be when it’s all said and done, but Dickinson, Buium, Yakemchuk, Silayev are right there with him for me. It’s certainly not a clear-cut situation.”
I hope the scouts are taking into account that he is one of the oldest draft-eligible players and this was his 3rd season in the WHL. I think he is a highlights star and I get that. But the same people minimize his biggest deficiency...defense! Building a defense where literally no one on the D excels in playing defense might be entertaining but I don't see how it helps win playoff games.

Reactions: MCB and Terry Yake

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I hope the scouts are taking into account that he is one of the oldest draft-eligible players and this was his 3rd season in the WHL. I think he is a highlights star and I get that. But the same people minimize his biggest deficiency...defense! Building a defense where literally no one on the D excels in playing defense might be entertaining but I don't see how it helps win playoff games.
What does him being a few months older than other prospects matter when he is still growing? Other prospects younger than him have stopped growing already.

If his defence is so bad then why was he voted the hardest player to play against?

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Pronman loves Yakemchuk and Yakemchuk is his third best rated player, behind Celebrini and Levshunov.

View attachment 883169

There are holes there, but you're willing to omit them from your own scouting purposes. From that scouting report, Yakemchuk is a 6'3 OFD. Maybe the reports that Yakemchuk is difficult to play against might have been on Yakemchuk playing offense and not defense.

Defensively, Yakemchuk isn't raising the level of play for his team with a -6 rating. Half the team was in the positive +/- rating. The team high was +29. The highest +/- d-man was a +18.

If some scout thinks his comp is Mintyukov, then Yakemchuk should fall around the #10 pick range. Sure, we're banking on what a player could be into the future, but are we taking into account that player's history beyond his D+0 season? Pair that with a poor showing at the combine, then we have yet another player with risks to choose from behind Celebrini.
Pronman is a clown. Yakemchuk is nothing like Pietrangelo. He has excellent vision and is a very good passer. Anyone who ever watched him can tell. His backhand passes, sometimes even no look, are feared all across the WHL. Yakemchuk is also as consistent as it gets against the puck. As I already explained he's sometimes gambling to make a hit or create an advantage for his team but that shouldn't be confused with inconsistency. It's a strategy that can occasionally backfire even though it's mostly working nicely.

+/- is completely useless without context. Maxim Muranov had a fantastic 2024 (after a meh 2023) but comparing his +29 with Yakemchuk is comparing apples and oranges. Yakemchuk is consistently playing half of the game for a bad team...and he's playing the toughest minutes possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A little bummed, Going to miss the draft, going to miss the new jersey unveiling if it happens on draft day, which I expect it will. Won’t even be able to check my phone since I’ll be on stage performing. But this is an important show, and sometimes hockey has to take a back seat.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The more I read the more I believe the dmen are going to be over-drafted because of their position, I guess. Again, it could be a case of overexposure, but none of them feel great.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The more I read the more I believe the dmen are going to be over-drafted because of their position, I guess. Again, it could be a case of overexposure, but none of them feel great.
None of them feel terrible though either. Most of them have at least someone saying they have top pairing potential, some more than others.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lol that The Athletic is a scam. I gladly pay my annual subscription for quality writing and coverage. I easily get my money's worth in enjoyment from that site.
Well, to each their own. If you enjoy it who am I to tell you what to do. Having said that, it has nothing to do with journalism. Buying data to flood people's inboxes with spam isn't what serious businesses do either and it's probably illegal as well especially with the unsubscribe option not working. This went on for months and it only stopped after the scam company was bought by the NY Times.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What does him being a few months older than other prospects matter when he is still growing? Other prospects younger than him have stopped growing already.

If his defence is so bad then why was he voted the hardest player to play against?
Age matters b/c he is probably older and more experienced than a lot of the guys he is playing against. By the time you've played in a league for three years, you should be dominating if you have any talent at all. The fact that he has been a minus player all three years is troubling.

As to the survey, I don't have enough context but I'm guessing most of those guys responding are under 6' and Yakemchuk just buries them physically. In the NHL that advantage largely disappears.

Yakemchuk is a highlights machine and if that's all a person watches then he is enormously appealing. If we were talking about taking him 31st I'd be all for it. Third? Not so much despite the highlights.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

View attachment 883169

To be fair, the guy with the +18 had 51 fewer points and 91 fewer PIM’s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad