Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2018-19

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Thoughts on Chisholm and chances of making the World Junior team?

That would be nice. My memory betrays me, when was the last time a mid-late round 18 year old defenseman made Team Canada’s WJC team?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thoughts on Chisholm and chances of making the World Junior team?

If I had to guess it will likely be a no. Though he could get a camp invite but the competition is just too strong. Especially now that Bouchard got sent down.

Ty Smith - Josh Brook
P.O. Joseph - Evan Bouchard
Jarred McIsaac - Noah Dobson

Then you have Jett Woo (RD), Ray Merkley (RD), Ian Mitchell (RD), Nic Beaudin (LD), Bernard-Docker (RD) all looking to try and make it in as well. I'd imagine Byram will get invited to camp but likely not make it. It's a real solid D-core for TC right now. Hell the whole team is pretty stacked.
Lafreniere, Glass, Suzuki, Formenton, Bowers, Hayton, Dellandrea, Veleno, Vilardi, Tippet, Thomas, Almeida, Noel, Morand, Frost, Anderson-Dolan, Foudy, McLeod. Not to mention I could easily see Dach, Cozens, Suzuki and Krebs get invited to camp with an extreme outside shot of making it. Plus Rasmussen and Comtois are still up in the air. DiPietro and Rodrigue are basically locks to make it in goal.

Team Canada is the clear cut 100% favourite to win it this year. Strongest team we've had since the McDavid years. USA is a very close 2nd, Sweden also has a formidable but young squad. Russia is hard to predict as they always have upset power. Finns are hard to predict right now but I could see the Jets lending Vesalainen.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah Canada is just too deep. I wouldn't completely write him off yet though. He'll get a camp invite for sure at this rate.
Even if he doesn't make the Canadian World Junior team it is nice having another defenseman developing well in his D+1 season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Even if he doesn't make the Canadian World Junior team it is nice having another defenseman developing well in his D+1 season.

Hell yea......Morrissey was the last exciting D prospect we have had in the CHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I agree. Gawanke, Valatti, Kovacevik and Samberg all don't look to bad either. I think all of them will be a few years away yet.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree. Gawanke, Valatti, Kovacevik and Samberg all don't look to bad either. I think all of them will be a few years away yet.
It will be interesting to see how they each come along. Samberg seems the furthest along and the most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got another late round hit out of that group.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It will be interesting to see how they each come along. Samberg seems the furthest along and the most likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got another late round hit out of that group.

I'd really like to see Samberg do well at the WJC this year. Him and Q.Hughes will be the veterans in USA's D group so it would be nice to see his offence take another step forward. He hasn't exactly been killing it at Duluth so I can't see him making the jump to the AHL next year yet, although the season just started so maybe he develops rapidly over the next few months. I think an extra year of College couldn't hurt though. Then sign him and bring him into the AHL at 20. We need NHL defencemen on that left side right now but I think we need to be patient with this one and let him develop. The NCAA is a massive jump from high school hockey.

I think once Luke Green starts getting some ice time and can really show off his skating we will have someone that can step in on the right side in a year or two as well. Kovacevik should be signed this off season to prevent him from going to FA after his final NCAA year and bring him into the fold in the AHL.

Our AHL D by next summer should look like
Lefties: Niku, Stanley
Righties: Green, Gawanke, Kovacevik, Poolman, Cedarholm, Nogier

Still pretty weak on that left side at the AHL level. But Chisholm and Vallati will be joining the following season and I'd hope by then that Niku makes the jump to the NHL.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He might. I think the Hughes brothers will be grabbing most of the attention though. He'll have to really light it up.
It's not uncommon for really good NCAA D not to light it up with scoring. Samberg is a shutdown D at that level. He might not be the highest scoring D for USA, but their best all around.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not uncommon for really good NCAA D not to light it up with scoring. Samberg is a shutdown D at that level. He might not be the highest scoring D for USA, but their best all around.
This is what I am hoping for. Samberg by far will be the most intriguing Jets prospect to watch at the WJC.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

This is what I am hoping for. Samberg by far will be the most intriguing Jets prospect to watch at the WJC.

I'd like him to be in that 0.80 PPG area. He's 27th in U21 scoring in the NCAA. I'd like him to be higher. He's 2nd highest on his team in ice time for a dman. He gets PP time. I'd like to see those numbers up.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd like him to be in that 0.80 PPG area. He's 27th in U21 scoring in the NCAA. I'd like him to be higher. He's 2nd highest on his team in ice time for a dman. He gets PP time. I'd like to see those numbers up.
Well now he has Doctor Dax's orders.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well now he has Doctor Dax's orders.

Typically offensive D score anywhere. I just want Samberg to have a solid all around game. We know he is good defensively but I'd like him to find an offensive side to his game at that level. Maybe all we get from him is a consistent shutdown type like Orpik but I'd prefer a Matt Carle type two way player. Even if he could put up Trouba like numbers in the NCAA that would be encouraging.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Typically offensive D score anywhere. I just want Samberg to have a solid all around game. We know he is good defensively but I'd like him to find an offensive side to his game at that level. Maybe all we get from him is a consistent shutdown type like Orpik but I'd prefer a Matt Carle type two way player. Even if he could put up Trouba like numbers in the NCAA that would be encouraging.
We just need a solid shut down D with the forwards we have now we are already going to be in cap madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad