OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I posted the following on one of the Bomber forums yesterday.....if you aren't on any of the other Bomber forums, I'd appreciate your comments.

I had a bit of down time today so I decided to look up the number of Canadians that each team in the league started in each game played so far this year. (According to what I've read each team must start 8 Canadians one of which could be a "nationalized American".) So...

Hamilton: started 8 for all games so far this year

Montreal: mainly 8 but had 9 twice and 10 another time

Ottawa: 8s across the board

Toronto: 8 for all games

Edmonton: started 8 except for two games where they started 9.

Saskatchewan: 8 for all games

Calgary: 8 except for one game when they started 9

BC: one game with 8, 4 with 9 and two games with 10

Bombers: from what I could make out...three games with 10 and five games with 11

What am I missing here? Is the Bombers' Canadian talent that good? Do the Bombers' coaches know something the other coaches don't?

And, on the "nationalized American" rule/position,

the Bombers haven't taken advantage of that rule at all this season. (I can think of a couple of veteran Americans on the team who would fit nicely in that role and that would count as a starting Canadian.) The only other team that hasn't used it is Edmonton and BC has only used it once. Ottawa and Hamilton have used it every game. Toronto and Sask every game but one. Calgary is intermittent but has still made some use of the position. It's a head-scratcher to me.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Very unlikely he'd go to Lions. They have the CFL's top QB locked in already.

Basically every team would offer Rourke ~2mil over 3 years if he comes back. It'll be 100% his decision where to go.

Rourke is from Toronto area. Argos would be the front runner if he returns, IMO. Elks might be interesting from his perspective, if he could turn that franchise around it further solidify his legacy.

But it won't be this season, that's for sure.
they would trade him in a heartbeat to keep rourke

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Very unlikely he'd go to Lions. They have the CFL's top QB locked in already.

Basically every team would offer Rourke ~2mil over 3 years if he comes back. It'll be 100% his decision where to go.

Rourke is from Toronto area. Argos would be the front runner if he returns, IMO. Elks might be interesting from his perspective, if he could turn that franchise around it further solidify his legacy.

But it won't be this season, that's for sure.

Isn’t Rourke from BC? (Victoria)

(Unless thats only where he was born but is Toronto based now)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I posted the following on one of the Bomber forums yesterday.....if you aren't on any of the other Bomber forums, I'd appreciate your comments.

I had a bit of down time today so I decided to look up the number of Canadians that each team in the league started in each game played so far this year. (According to what I've read each team must start 8 Canadians one of which could be a "nationalized American".) So...

Hamilton: started 8 for all games so far this year

Montreal: mainly 8 but had 9 twice and 10 another time

Ottawa: 8s across the board

Toronto: 8 for all games

Edmonton: started 8 except for two games where they started 9.

Saskatchewan: 8 for all games

Calgary: 8 except for one game when they started 9

BC: one game with 8, 4 with 9 and two games with 10

Bombers: from what I could make out...three games with 10 and five games with 11

What am I missing here? Is the Bombers' Canadian talent that good? Do the Bombers' coaches know something the other coaches don't?

And, on the "nationalized American" rule/position,

the Bombers haven't taken advantage of that rule at all this season. (I can think of a couple of veteran Americans on the team who would fit nicely in that role and that would count as a starting Canadian.) The only other team that hasn't used it is Edmonton and BC has only used it once. Ottawa and Hamilton have used it every game. Toronto and Sask every game but one. Calgary is intermittent but has still made some use of the position. It's a head-scratcher to me.
Bombers don't really need to use the nationalized American if they're starting 11...

Oliviera, Demski, Woli, Ford - and if Lawson was healthy he'd have the interior locked down - Hubert really looks to have potential... so there's five starters

Kramdi has been a lightning rod but looked really good last game - I actually think the speed of Tony Jones altered our LB core - so I'll wait before crapping on him

Thomas is done - he's constantly washed

I'd replace Johnson and Case before Clercius

I'd say the PR makeup has been more of a problem than starting Canadians

We are loaded with WR when replacing our 4th or 5th WR is not really the problem

Our only DL on the PR is Samson who's definitely not ready - did the guys who looked good in preseason just not want a PR spot?? Chauncey Rivers especially

That being said I like Osh's patience even if its maddening... but its time to fix the OL - there's no way they watch that video and think things are 'fine'

Bryant-Dobson-Eli-Randolph-Lofton
with Randolph waiting to replace Lofton if he keeps getting beaten outside
I wouldn't say Dobson is untouchable either...

Starting 10-11 Canadians is a huge advantage... because you can shift the ratio in a heartbeat - now is the time to do it

Can change the makeup of this team with 2-3 moves and still start 9 Canadians - 10 if they'd designate Willie J as our NA

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just want to put the Jets on notice...The Bombers have carried the ball for this city for the past few years now. Time for the the pro hockey franchise to step up and do their part! lol
My take... Bombers really should have won the last 2 Grey Cups - unfulfilled potential to have a dynasty run after an incredibly long stretch of abysmal performance (went almost 3 decades without a Grey Cup). With the fan passion in Winnipeg for the Bombers and with how relatively easy it is to win a Grey Cup, I have had higher expectations for them. Maybe the really long drought disaffected me more than it should have.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
My take... Bombers really should have won the last 2 Grey Cups - unfulfilled potential to have a dynasty run after an incredibly long stretch of abysmal performance (went almost 3 decades without a Grey Cup). With the fan passion in Winnipeg for the Bombers and with how relatively easy it is to win a Grey Cup, I have had higher expectations for them. Maybe the really long drought disaffected me more than it should have.

Meh...I'm OK with a 5 year run with almost no regular season loses and a couple Grey Cup wins. I mean sure more cups would be great, but I can't complain much about the Bombers over the past half-decade.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Bombers don't really need to use the nationalized American if they're starting 11...

Oliviera, Demski, Woli, Ford - and if Lawson was healthy he'd have the interior locked down - Hubert really looks to have potential... so there's five starters

Kramdi has been a lightning rod but looked really good last game - I actually think the speed of Tony Jones altered our LB core - so I'll wait before crapping on him

Thomas is done - he's constantly washed

I'd replace Johnson and Case before Clercius

I'd say the PR makeup has been more of a problem than starting Canadians

We are loaded with WR when replacing our 4th or 5th WR is not really the problem

Our only DL on the PR is Samson who's definitely not ready - did the guys who looked good in preseason just not want a PR spot?? Chauncey Rivers especially

That being said I like Osh's patience even if its maddening... but its time to fix the OL - there's no way they watch that video and think things are 'fine'

Bryant-Dobson-Eli-Randolph-Lofton
with Randolph waiting to replace Lofton if he keeps getting beaten outside
I wouldn't say Dobson is untouchable either...

Starting 10-11 Canadians is a huge advantage... because you can shift the ratio in a heartbeat - now is the time to do it

Can change the makeup of this team with 2-3 moves and still start 9 Canadians - 10 if they'd designate Willie J as our NA
We all have opinions and mine is that we don't have enough quality Canadians to start 10 or 11 game in and game out. Thomas in his current state is not quality starter material; Kramdi in spite of his good game v. the Argos is not good enough to start at that position. (Don't get me started on his salary.); and the problems with the O-line start with Kolankowski....not good enough. Do the bombers have enough quality guys to start 7 or 8 Canadians....sure but definitely not 10 or 11. As I said, we all have opinions and this is mine.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We all have opinions and mine is that we don't have enough quality Canadians to start 10 or 11 game in and game out. Thomas in his current state is not quality starter material; Kramdi in spite of his good game v. the Argos is not good enough to start at that position. (Don't get me started on his salary.); and the problems with the O-line start with Kolankowski....not good enough. Do the bombers have enough quality guys to start 7 or 8 Canadians....sure but definitely not 10 or 11. As I said, we all have opinions and this is mine.
What is kramdis salary?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lucky Whitehead will make his season debut on Thursday.

Americans DB's Marquise Bridges and Tyrique McGhee moved to PR.

Full depth will be out tmw as will another replacement on roster. May be more moves as well hard to say yet.

• Wow
Reactions: snowkiddin

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
if he hasnt signed by now...maybe he doesnt want to come back, maybe he thinks argos have a better chance at a grey cup

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They read my post!!
Haha. Not as extensive as we were maybe hoping. Wolitarsky and Neufeld moved to 6 game IR.

Randolph in at RG. Whitehead starting at WR. Jake Kelly returns off IR and looks to be the backup DB as they've moved him off safety for first time I've ever seen. And veteran global Souleymane Karamoko returns from PR.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Haha. Not as extensive as we were maybe hoping. Wolitarsky and Neufeld moved to 6 game IR.

Randolph in at RG. Whitehead starting at WR. Jake Kelly returns off IR and looks to be the backup DB as they've moved him off safety for first time I've ever seen. And veteran global Souleymane Karamoko returns from PR.

A bit meh... we just bolstered our special teams which didn't need help

I actually would have given Eli another game - but maybe he's knicked up

Will see if Kola is the prob on the OL now

How and why have we not airlifted a DL yet

Still confused what Chris Smith did to get demoted...

Just realized this lineup locks us down to Thomas/Schmekel for every play of the game unless they designate Willie as NA

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If Whitehead still has the juice in his legs he'll be of great help. Need somebody in that WR group to stretch the field.

...Assuming Collaros has the time to actually wait for a deep route to develop.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If Whitehead still has the juice in his legs he'll be of great help. Need somebody in that WR group to stretch the field.

...Assuming Collaros has the time to actually wait for a deep route to develop.
Surprised they haven't even given Alston a look...

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
From 3DownNation's "Yards without points: Winnipeg Blue Bombers can move football but can’t score touchdowns":

Zach Collaros dropped back to pass 37 times and Chris Streveler had one passing attempt. Of those 38 dropbacks, they were hurried nine times, hit five times, knocked down three times, and sacked five times.

In other words, the quarterbacks were disrupted in some way on 22 of 38 called passing plays. That’s 58 percent of the time. Zach Collaros was physically contacted by Toronto defenders on over 35 percent of his passing plays, which is simply too many.

Poor blitz pickup wasn’t the only contributing factor, but it came into play. The Argos blitzed 17 times on Winnipeg passing plays and the Blue Bombers appeared unable to pick up four of them properly. Those four failures led to two hurries, one hit, and one sack.

[...]

Far more concerning for the Blue Bombers than blitz pickup was what happened to Collaros when Toronto only sent a three or four-man rush, which they did on 21 occasions. Those non-blitz rushes led to four hurries, one hit, two knockdowns, and an unforgivable four sacks.

Against a three or four-man rush, Collaros was disrupted 52 percent of the time, sacked 19 percent of the time, and physically contacted 33 percent of the time. By my assessment, none of those plays featured Collaros holding onto the ball for too long, as the pressure was almost immediate.

Everything about the Bombers offensive line really stinks this year. Bryant looks like age has caught up, Dobson hasn't been better than Gray, Kolankowski/Eli/Neufeld haven't been good enough on the right side of the interior amongst their rotations, and Lofton is a turnstile at the RT spot. Granted, based on my viewing, it feels like it's mostly pass protection - blocking for the run hasn't been that bad (or maybe Oliveira covers for a lot of faults that I don't notice), but it's pretty evident - especially when looking at those numbers from last week against TOR - that Collaros has barely had time to let plays develop.

The strength of the interior on both sides of the ball is what made this Bombers team a dynasty from 2019-23. There are some injuries on the defensive side, sure, but I still really didn't anticipate just how quickly it all fell off a cliff in one off-season (though I think there were some warning signs last year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad