OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Interesting - BC starting 9 Canadians... and I dont think they have anyone qualifying as a Nationalize American

What was Jamal Campbell's season like last year? Is he still kicking around as an FA?

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
BC bye week BC, 2 loses and it might be next year for the Bombers
Not sure about that, but they’d have to run the table from there.

Calgary only has one more win, and the East isn’t exactly a threat for a crossover.

However, if we don’t get healthy I can’t see us making any noise.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
From 3DownNation's "Yards without points: Winnipeg Blue Bombers can move football but can’t score touchdowns":

Everything about the Bombers offensive line really stinks this year. Bryant looks like age has caught up, Dobson hasn't been better than Gray, Kolankowski/Eli/Neufeld haven't been good enough on the right side of the interior amongst their rotations, and Lofton is a turnstile at the RT spot. Granted, based on my viewing, it feels like it's mostly pass protection - blocking for the run hasn't been that bad (or maybe Oliveira covers for a lot of faults that I don't notice), but it's pretty evident - especially when looking at those numbers from last week against TOR - that Collaros has barely had time to let plays develop.

The strength of the interior on both sides of the ball is what made this Bombers team a dynasty from 2019-23. There are some injuries on the defensive side, sure, but I still really didn't anticipate just how quickly it all fell off a cliff in one off-season (though I think there were some warning signs last year).
I think this is my biggest takeaway as well. You obviously can't be a juggernaut forever, especially when the guts of your team are past the mid 30s barrier.

I was expecting a gradual decline into dust. Thought maybe "eh they'll still manage 10-11 wins but the signs of the sunset will be very apparent" as BC took over as the top team in the West.

And then the powerhouse decided to have a nuclear meltdown where they can barely do anything offensively. One guy (like say, Stanley Bryant) falling off due to age? expected. Everyone at the same time? definitely not.

Honestly kinda reminds me of the Sharks. In 2018-2019 they finished with 100+ points and still looked like a team that could make noise in the postseason. Not even 12 months later they're in the league's cellar and the glory days are over hard and fast.

(even more concerning for the Bombers given QB talent is becoming harder and harder to come by in this league with the roster rule changes down south)

Reactions: snowkiddin

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Not sure about that, but they’d have to run the table from there.

Calgary only has one more win, and the East isn’t exactly a threat for a crossover.

However, if we don’t get healthy I can’t see us making any noise.
Crossover isn't a problem but the hole they've dug themselves is.

They're 2-6 with 10 games left. Calgary is currently 3-4 so let's just spitball and say the cutoff for playoffs in the west is 9-9.

Screenshot 2024-07-31 191612.png

Winnipeg would need to go 7-3 with what is an unfavorable schedule to the point those games against Edmonton and Hamilton are absolutely must win given they're probably not sweeping BC or Saskatchewan

Screenshot 2024-07-31 192126.png

Calgary's schedule is significantly easier. At least one game against Toronto without Chad Kelly, one against Ottawa who might be the biggest mirage in the league, two against crap ass Edmonton and then those two games at the end might not even matter depending on where Montreal and Saskatchewan finish.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Crossover isn't a problem but the hole they've dug themselves is.

They're 2-6 with 10 games left. Calgary is currently 3-4 so let's just spitball and say the cutoff for playoffs in the west is 9-9.

View attachment 898443

Winnipeg would need to go 7-3 with what is an unfavorable schedule to the point those games against Edmonton and Hamilton are absolutely must win given they're probably not sweeping BC or Saskatchewan

View attachment 898445

Calgary's schedule is significantly easier. At least one game against Toronto without Chad Kelly, one against Ottawa who might be the biggest mirage in the league, two against crap ass Edmonton and then those two games at the end might not even matter depending on where Montreal and Saskatchewan finish.
Tough task but if the Coilers can come back from their really bad start and almost win the Cup we can too damnit .:nod:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Only once since 2014 has an 8-10 or better team missed the playoffs. And that was cause 5 of the best 6 records in the league in 2018 were in the West so the 9-9 Elks missed, while the 8-10 Ti-Cats hosted a playoff game.

8-10 will get into playoffs.

But really this doesn't matter yet. Bombers need to start stringing together victories for that to matter.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Only once since 2014 has an 8-10 or better team missed the playoffs. And that was cause 5 of the best 6 records in the league in 2018 were in the West so the 9-9 Elks missed, while the 8-10 Ti-Cats hosted a playoff game.

8-10 will get into playoffs.

But really this doesn't matter yet. Bombers need to start stringing together victories for that to matter.
Schedule is hard to figure - Tre Ford could change that Edmonton team... Kelly back for next TO... Fajardo back for Mtl game?... almost guaranteed a split with Sask

Prob wait to assess our chances after I see if Randolph brings anything to the interior

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
With how ass backwards the Falcons are, there's a non-zero chance Cousins gets hurt again, and then Rourke somehow jumps Penix because Penix "isn't ready yet" and becomes the guy they were looking for all along. It's like the Brock Purdy revelation just with a couple more steps.

It would be like the perfect ending given how strangely they've gone about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00