Confirmed with Link: Wings Protected List

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If SEA signs Hamilton it's b/c they outbid CAR on $ & possibly on term also. CAR played it smart here.

You can't let Hamilton hold your franchise hostage for $8.5-9m+ or whatever he thinks he's worth LT. $8x7 is fair for both & still has the ability to look like poor value in yrs 5-7.

Seattle has pretty nice museums. :thumbu:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So much this. Makes me laugh when you look at the players TB left unprotected, and we're arguing about guys who probably wont be in the league in 2-3 years time.

Yup, this is exactly why there isn't actually a lot to discuss about the Wings right now. We suck, we know we suck, and you still have half the contingent get riled up over potentially losing guys who probably wouldn't make the roster on 75% of teams in the league.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I like the list for the most part, except I would have protected Cholowski over Lindstrom. I feel Lindstrom is going to be a decent 3rd pairing D, someone who is always replaceable with a kid, or a UFA (like Stecher/Merrill), while Cholowski still does have upside to be a top 4 guy, granted, he could also be a bust. Either way, I take Boom or Bust over ok 3rd pairing guy. Though, they may take Stetcher with the idea of flipping him at the deadline.

Man, seeing Cholowski and Svechnikov unprotected is just another reminder of how badly Holland managed this team's assets in his last decade here. Terrible. Nothing good came of that Datsyuk trade.

What's your issue with Hronek?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I like the list for the most part, except I would have protected Cholowski over Lindstrom. I feel Lindstrom is going to be a decent 3rd pairing D, someone who is always replaceable with a kid, or a UFA (like Stecher/Merrill), while Cholowski still does have upside to be a top 4 guy, granted, he could also be a bust. Either way, I take Boom or Bust over ok 3rd pairing guy. Though, they may take Stetcher with the idea of flipping him at the deadline.

What's your issue with Hronek
?

Chychrun is twice the defenseman that Hronek is. If you think otherwise then you are living in a fantasy land.

If he was available he'd have been a Wing. And that would have been a huge boost for this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retire91

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Chychrun is twice the defenseman that Hronek is. If you think otherwise then you are living in a fantasy land.

If he was available he'd have been a Wing. And that would have been a huge boost for this team.

He was available. They chose not to take him.

Another bet that didn’t work out for Kenny. The thinking was that Cholo would boom and Hronek or Smith whoever you think is the extra second would help too… and we’d use the freed up money to land Stamkos.

Basically none of those things happened. Story of the end of Holland’s time here. Have a good idea, try to follow a “safe” method…. And it eventually blows up in your face

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Atp Cholo's ceiling is probably a #5PMD, imo & that also on a non-playoff team or lottery team.

It's not Boom or Bust, but rather, Pop vs. Plop & Fizz.

Stech is late 3rd-5th future draft capital depending on the market.

I'm in favor of giving Cholo a new nickname, (credit to @SchultzFeelingIrie ) as a confidence booster (like Taco for Hirose) & if not it serves as a parting gift. Though the original was auto-correct probably, it kinda fits: Chocolate is soft, melts if you handle it, usually wrapped up etc.

capture.PNG

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

No need to get worked up, I was just asking a poster a question.

I dont think the Wings would have taken Chychrun. Nobody argues that Hronek or Chowolski are better then Chychrun, the red flag with him was always injuries. If healthy, sure the kid will probably be better, but if he's not playing, who cares. Lately he's seeming to be doing ok, maybe the long layoff during covid helped him, but he would scare me to build a D core around.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Yup, this is exactly why there isn't actually a lot to discuss about the Wings right now. We suck, we know we suck, and you still have half the contingent get riled up over potentially losing guys who probably wouldn't make the roster on 75% of teams in the league.

Nobody is getting riled up?

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Nobody is getting riled up?

I was getting marginally riled up.

I agree with the sentiment that there's no use even debating about who should or shouldn't have been protected. Nobody this team loses in the expansion draft will have any impact the future anyway. This team is so boring now that we basically have to make things up to debate over lol.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
He was available. They chose not to take him.

Another bet that didn’t work out for Kenny. The thinking was that Cholo would boom and Hronek or Smith whoever you think is the extra second would help too… and we’d use the freed up money to land Stamkos.

Basically none of those things happened. Story of the end of Holland’s time here. Have a good idea, try to follow a “safe” method…. And it eventually blows up in your face
Yeah, Delusional GM making delusional moves based on delusional precipices that Stamkos was EVER
available to be signed.
+ Nielsen for 5 years!
Perfect!

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
You guys, this "so-and-so won't impact our future, so who cares" sentiment is, well, it's pointless. It sounds like a good little point, but it's not. Outside of very top players, you can say that about a vast majority of players in the league. Yet, most moves that are made, regarding players who "won't make a real difference by themselves" are still important, because they collectively make a difference. Gustav Lindstrom or Troy Stecher won't make or break the Wings in 2026, that is very true, but making the right or wrong call on the plethora of moves in that vein over the years certainly can. That's why each of these moves are at least worth discussing a little. On a message board. About the hockey team we root for. You know, the whole point of being here slapping away at our phones or keyboards like a bunch of drunken monkeys every day :laugh:

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I was getting marginally riled up.

I agree with the sentiment that there's no use even debating about who should or shouldn't have been protected. Nobody this team loses in the expansion draft will have any impact the future anyway. This team is so boring now that we basically have to make things up to debate over lol.

Agreed and yeah, I’m not too thrilled at the possibility of stecher being taken but it is what it is, he won’t be a building block on our team and who knows what they see on our other pieces available

The last few seasons have been insufferable but we are at the perfect time to have ample cap space and no set complete roster by far

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
You guys, this "so-and-so won't impact our future, so who cares" sentiment is, well, it's pointless. It sounds like a good little point, but it's not. Outside of very top players, you can say that about a vast majority of players in the league. Yet, most moves that are made, regarding players who "won't make a real difference by themselves" are still important, because they collectively make a difference. Gustav Lindstrom or Troy Stecher won't make or break the Wings in 2026, that is very true, but making the right or wrong call on the plethora of moves in that vein over the years certainly can. That's why each of these moves are at least worth discussing a little. On a message board. About the hockey team we root for. You know, the whole point of being here slapping away at our phones or keyboards like a bunch of drunken monkeys every day :laugh:

Seattle deciding between Stech, Svech & Cholo. HM to Vlad N.

nl.PNG

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Agreed and yeah, I’m not too thrilled at the possibility of stecher being taken but it is what it is, he won’t be a building block on our team and who knows what they see on our other pieces available

The last few seasons have been insufferable but we are at the perfect time to have ample cap space and no set complete roster by far

I won't be hearbroken if he's gone but at the same time he is at least a serviceable NHL player.

Crazy thought, but what if the Wings sign Savard as his replacement when Stecher is taken?

(But then people on this forum would have a total meltdown that the Yzerplan isn't the Yzertank.) :sarcasm:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

They're absolutely worth discussing but they're not worth getting upset or arguing about in my humble opinion anyhow.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
They're absolutely worth discussing but they're not worth getting upset or arguing about in my humble opinion anyhow.

Oh sure. I haven't seen anyone get upset about Stecher or Lindstrom though. Maybe I missed it? Ogee and I were simply having a friendly debate. I've got no beef with him over the topic.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
tell me you've never been through a rebuild without telling me you've never been through a rebuild

Steve Yzerman inherits a team that earned 80 points the year before he was hired and he quickly turns them into a consistent 100+ point team that went on to win back to back Stanley Cups.
Ken Holland had a team that went to back to back Finals and turned them into a sub 80 point team.

Who wins a Cup first, Ken Holland in Edmonton with two of the top players in the league or Steve Yzerman who is finally doing a proper rebuild in Detroit?

Reactions: StargateSG1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad