Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Wow , very promising opening three games.
These rookies play like they've been in the league for years already, Lemieux, Garden, Belchetz, and Hicks. This could be a repeat of the 07-08 team. They went 18-43-2-5 in 06-07, and 41-15-7-5 in 07-08. I see similar components with these rookies.

2-0-1 without Protas, Spellacy and Mathurin these last two games. Any update on his injury? When everyone is back , this offense will be hard to contain.

Belchetz is insane, preseason doesn't mean anything but he has six short handed goals in 8 games. That is how you know he is just different. 8 points in three games to begin the season.

Yeah he's big and has the NHL shot, but I have been most surprised by his Hockey IQ, he knows how to get in behind the defense and into open areas of the ice as seen in his shorthanded goals. THey were all either breakaways or partial breakaways. There will be ups and downs but I think he could put up 80 points. Only three games but so many great signs.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well never thought I would see a game where 16 skaters excluding goalies dressing of 18 skaters had at least a point tonight and 8 of them had multiple point nights.
The 2 players who didn't register a point tonight for Windsor were dmen Tanner Winegard and Adrian Manzo although what Winegard brought to the table was his fight ing ability destroying 2 Rangers in back to back scrap
Windsor's 4 -16 year old rookies all had notable games,6 points from Belchetz including 4G,2 goals from Lemieux and a gutsy fight,oh with Belchetz forgot he got jumped and to fight so had the Gordie Howe Hatrick,along wit 2 assists,1 goal from Garden and some scrappy play,plus Hicks had 2 assists to give Windsor 's 16 yesr olds a total of 7G,,4A and like I said 2 fights.
Outwater had his best game as a Spit 2G,2A,Morneau had 1G,3A,plus he jumped too,so a Gordie Howe hat-trick for him too.
What was interesting was the 2 leading point producers from last year's team Greentree and Abraham each only had 1 point today,a goal by Greentree and an assist by Abraham.
Cole Davis,Woodall and Gaymes all had 2 point games today,1 and 1 for Gaymes,2 assists each for Davis and Woodall.
Never figured 12-2,thought maybe 6-2,and Windsor with 3 in 4 didn't look like the tired team.
Costanzo played very well tonight faced 35 shots and was very solid.
Spits scored 1 PP goal tonight so did Kitchener both were 1-6 in that category, while Windsor scored 2 shorties and 9 even strength goals,and Kitchener scored 1 5 on 5 goal.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Wow , very promising opening three games.
These rookies play like they've been in the league for years already, Lemieux, Garden, Belchetz, and Hicks. This could be a repeat of the 07-08 team. They went 18-43-2-5 in 06-07, and 41-15-7-5 in 07-08. I see similar components with these rookies.

2-0-1 without Protas, Spellacy and Mathurin these last two games. Any update on his injury? When everyone is back , this offense will be hard to contain.

Belchetz is insane, preseason doesn't mean anything but he has six short handed goals in 8 games. That is how you know he is just different. 8 points in three games to begin the season.

Yeah he's big and has the NHL shot, but I have been most surprised by his Hockey IQ, he knows how to get in behind the defense and into open areas of the ice as seen in his shorthanded goals. THey were all either breakaways or partial breakaways. There will be ups and downs but I think he could put up 80 points. Only three games but so many great signs.
I have some answers on a couple of things
1st dealing with Mathurin he has been experiencing back spasms held out as a precaution again tonight like last night, I do expect him in the lineup Thursday vs the Sault, and they cam use him as I expect Winegard to get a suspension for being the 2nd fight,as well Lemieux who tossed for the same reason after his fight.
However I do have good news re forward Ilya Protas,talking to his billet Protas picked up tonight and was dropped off at the rink tonight during the game,so expect to play Thurs vs the Sault,great he scored 3 goals in the1 game before he left for Washington, just what we need another stud player,had 3 goals in the 1 game played.

Finally wouldn't surprise if Spellacy was back by next weekend he impressed those in Chicago looks to have a bright future.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Meant to add Christoforo after 3 games has 1G,6A,7 points and is a +9 so far to lead the D in scoring
He was a +6 in the game vs Kitchener.

Spits averaged 6 goals a game during the 5 game exhibition season,now in the last 3 regular season they have scored 21 goals for an average of 7 per so far
Spits including exhibition season are now 7-0-1,2--0-1 during regular season

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Glad to hear Mathurin is day-to-day and it’s not more serious. When I saw he was taking warmups at least, I assumed it’s not long term. Better safe than sorry right now.

I’m not trying to be overly optimistic, but Kitchener went 5-0-0-1 in the preseason. Saginaw are coming off a Mem Cup win (with high turnover but still a top team IMO).

I’m excited to see a larger sample size, but with the immediate impact we’re seeing, not just from Belchetz, but from the other 08’ group, plus Nesbitt now looking great, Outwater, who I’ve been down on, showing some spark, it has me excited.

I can see guys cooling off, but with our quantity of good prospects, I don’t expect it to all happen at once. Someone’s gotta be going. Plus a few more additions? I’m intrigued. Now, I also expect every team to be playing a little less sloppy in a month from now.

Good bounce back for Joey. In those big lead games, it’s easy to let an extra 2/3 slide by as it wont effect the outcome, but props to them for keeping numbers down while still putting up the points.

Sorry most of you don’t like the goal song… but I’m here for it. There’s gotta be a story here.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts on this one...

- I don't know the story behind the goal song but I'm sure it's a dandy.
- Mathurin's injury is one of those that you go game-by-game with. I deal with the same issue and it's not a whole lot of fun at times.
- An impressive crowd tonight for sure. I don't know what the exact number is but they were right into it from the start.
- When you score three fairly quick ones to open the game, very few are going to argue with that.
- Garden's was a beauty, Belchetz's was something out of a video game, and then Morneau's second of the season.
- I was a touch worried when Kitch got the lead to 3-1 but...
- Belchetz late in the first, again, then Outwater with 2s left? I mean, 5-1 after 20... what more do you want?
- Lemieux's first and second in the second. The kid is showing us something new!
- Admittedly, I missed much of the third period because of other commitments. I wound up leaving right after the Lemieux fight.

- Let's talk about those briefly...
- First fight was a hit against a Spitfire and I THINK it was Martin who came into defend. He got four for roughing, which was pretty lucky. I didn't catch how Winegard got into it with Bottineau but a mismatch there.
- Second fight was Hicks giving a shot to a Rangers' player who had given a late shot or something to Costanzo. It looked innocent enough with some misconducts until Hlacar jumps Morneau of all people. Credit to Noah; he can throw when he has to.
- Third fight was Andonovski jumping Belchetz. This was in front of me; looked like Nesbitt (??) went down with a high stick or something. Official was looking right at him and blew the whistle. Andonovski comes around and goes right for Belchetz, gave him no choice. I honestly thought that would start a line brawl, for obvious reasons, but Belchetz very much held his own. I don't know what Andonovski was thinking but that wasn't needed at all.
- Fourth was just a shyteshow - I didn't even see Eichler and Arquette on the ice. I saw everyone jump in then Lemieux throw down and go toe-to-toe with Dirracolo, which was a solid tilt. As Dirracolo exits the fight, he shoves Lemieux, which brings Cristoforo in. He gets shoved and goes down, which brings a Ranger in to drag him to the boards. Winegard joins the party along with Vermeulen and give that one to Winegard, I think. Looks like Lemieux/Winegard get the 5/GM for second fight in that situation.

- Lost in all of this was Costanzo making 35-of-37 saves for a very solid performance, likely one he needed.

- Belchetz six points plus the Gordie Howe. Morneau with four points and the Howe. The only player who didn't record a point was Winegard and he had two fights, which I'm okay with. Cristoforo led the team with a plus-six.

- No matter how you slice this one, it was a total team effort. They got impressive goals, didn't let up, and stood up for each other. It's only game three but that was one of the more exciting games you'll see this season. Defence? Check. Offence? Check. Goaltending? Check. Physical play? Definitely check. I'm trying to find negative things to say - maybe 1/6 on the PP? I mean, you can't go 3/5 every night, I suppose.

- This isn't a game that's going to happen regularly but, man, this team has the potential to do something special. Top to bottom, they're clicking and the defence is finding a way. Once you get Protas, Spellacy, and now Mathurin back, whooooo boy. I said at the start that there will be great games and hiccup games. Friday night was the hiccup, Saturday was the great one. Let's keep this momentum going.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Meant to add Christoforo after 3 games has 1G,6A,7 points and is a +9 so far to lead the D in scoring
He was a +6 in the game vs Kitchener.

Spits averaged 6 goals a game during the 5 game exhibition season,now in the last 3 regular season they have scored 21 goals for an average of 7 per so far
Spits including exhibition season are now 7-0-1,2--0-1 during regular season
He probably was the only player that Windsor didn't engage last nite. "Charmin"

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A few thoughts on this one...

- I don't know the story behind the goal song but I'm sure it's a dandy.
- Mathurin's injury is one of those that you go game-by-game with. I deal with the same issue and it's not a whole lot of fun at times.
- An impressive crowd tonight for sure. I don't know what the exact number is but they were right into it from the start.
- When you score three fairly quick ones to open the game, very few are going to argue with that.
- Garden's was a beauty, Belchetz's was something out of a video game, and then Morneau's second of the season.
- I was a touch worried when Kitch got the lead to 3-1 but...
- Belchetz late in the first, again, then Outwater with 2s left? I mean, 5-1 after 20... what more do you want?
- Lemieux's first and second in the second. The kid is showing us something new!
- Admittedly, I missed much of the third period because of other commitments. I wound up leaving right after the Lemieux fight.

- Let's talk about those briefly...
- First fight was a hit against a Spitfire and I THINK it was Martin who came into defend. He got four for roughing, which was pretty lucky. I didn't catch how Winegard got into it with Bottineau but a mismatch there.
- Second fight was Hicks giving a shot to a Rangers' player who had given a late shot or something to Costanzo. It looked innocent enough with some misconducts until Hlacar jumps Morneau of all people. Credit to Noah; he can throw when he has to.
- Third fight was Andonovski jumping Belchetz. This was in front of me; looked like Nesbitt (??) went down with a high stick or something. Official was looking right at him and blew the whistle. Andonovski comes around and goes right for Belchetz, gave him no choice. I honestly thought that would start a line brawl, for obvious reasons, but Belchetz very much held his own. I don't know what Andonovski was thinking but that wasn't needed at all.
- Fourth was just a shyteshow - I didn't even see Eichler and Arquette on the ice. I saw everyone jump in then Lemieux throw down and go toe-to-toe with Dirracolo, which was a solid tilt. As Dirracolo exits the fight, he shoves Lemieux, which brings Cristoforo in. He gets shoved and goes down, which brings a Ranger in to drag him to the boards. Winegard joins the party along with Vermeulen and give that one to Winegard, I think. Looks like Lemieux/Winegard get the 5/GM for second fight in that situation.

- Lost in all of this was Costanzo making 35-of-37 saves for a very solid performance, likely one he needed.

- Belchetz six points plus the Gordie Howe. Morneau with four points and the Howe. The only player who didn't record a point was Winegard and he had two fights, which I'm okay with. Cristoforo led the team with a plus-six.

- No matter how you slice this one, it was a total team effort. They got impressive goals, didn't let up, and stood up for each other. It's only game three but that was one of the more exciting games you'll see this season. Defence? Check. Offence? Check. Goaltending? Check. Physical play? Definitely check. I'm trying to find negative things to say - maybe 1/6 on the PP? I mean, you can't go 3/5 every night, I suppose.

- This isn't a game that's going to happen regularly but, man, this team has the potential to do something special. Top to bottom, they're clicking and the defence is finding a way. Once you get Protas, Spellacy, and now Mathurin back, whooooo boy. I said at the start that there will be great games and hiccup games. Friday night was the hiccup, Saturday was the great one. Let's keep this momentum going.
You mentioned it but I thought Costanzo deserves some credit with this win. Shots were even in this game but the score was not. He looked pretty scrambly but he made it work.

I not sure how many noticed but at one point half the Spits were in the box yet they still managed to dance to YMCA! Lol! Fans loved it.

Spits wanted this game after Kitchener ran them up a few times last year. Kitchener will be a whole different team the next time they meet.

And still first in the league. A young team and a long year so enjoy that while we can.

No idea how they can figure out which one of the 4 08's that will sit each night? I'm assuming some kind of rotation ? And yes I was wrong about Lemieux. Be safe.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe take the time to re-watch the game, he was definitely into at least one tussle. And it was one he started clearing the front of the net. He is not a physical style player but he has shown some improvement this year.
"I guess"..stretch

Last edited:

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
What’s the deal with this new commissioner? We going to get some fighting restrictions lifted? Because if Saginaw and Kitchener games say anything… we’re already running low on chances to drop the mitts. Lol.

Not that this needs to be a fighting game, but I feel 5 go’s in 68 games is fitting for some guys, especially with the helmet-on rule.

Otherwise the whacks start to get excessive. I’d much rather see guys go, then guys start hacking away on NHL prospects, with mid-level officiating that may ‘miss’ a two hander across the wrists

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
He probably was the only player that Windsor didn't engage last nite. "Charmin"
Actually after Lemieux was pushed down after the fight he lost to dirracolo- by dirracolo, christo #44 was the one that got involved with him pushing a rookie. You clearly didn’t watch that or pretended not to notice

4:28 into the 3rd period

• Haha
Reactions: windsor7

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Actually after Lemieux was pushed down after the fight he lost to dirracolo- by dirracolo, christo #44 was the one that got involved with him pushing a rookie. You clearly didn’t watch that or pretended not to notice

4:28 into the 3rd period
70% of his posts on this board are complaining about Cristoforo. Clearly at some point he refused to sign an autograph for him or something. Embarrassing.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
70% of his posts on this board are complaining about Cristoforo. Clearly at some point he refused to sign an autograph for him or something. Embarrassing.
Oh trust me I know. I counted I think 4 in a row from him yesterday and I’m not even a spits fan lol I can only imagine how frustrating this is for some of you guys hearing this guy blab on and on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad