Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 6)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Except as pointed out their offense has not declined its increased and the special teams have improved considerably as well their record since the trade deadline would be no better imo.
McDonald for all he brought offensive wise was still a minus player before being dealt.
He also was streaky.

Except as usual you're ignoring the point.

How many contenders have dealt one of their top 2 goal scorers when they're trying to win a championship? Name me 3 from the last 20 years.

No their overall offense hasn't declined but as you saw last night their top line was shut down pretty easily. Luckily they got some depth scoring but when Cuylle was out against Guelph there sure wasn't much depth scoring stepping up.

Usually if their top line isn't scoring the team isn't winning. You either see a couple of points from the top line or one player down the roster get a goal.

Look at the contributions, where they came from and the result. Scoring a bunch one game here and there can really skew the point totals. Same with 3 to 5 PP goals in a game they lose if they average 1 on every 5 chances. Same with a couple of high scoring games. Take out the few games with 5 or more and how many goals do they average? It's nice to see those games to pad some stats but how often do they happen?

They needed to add more physicality and defensive/two way players without giving up a top scorer. They didn't do this.

member 71782

I’m very surprised that you guys don’t know much about this team. Macdonald is soft and lazy. Who cares if he could score against point fluffing teams. When you look at players you need to see if they can actually play the game of hockey which is a physical game. The purpose is to win championships and we won’t win with this team. Should I start naming our soft players? When you play a team who is well coached and knows how to shut down your key players by playing a physical game then you’re done. 90% of our players were terrified to touch the puck yesterday.

Don't disagree, last night they were intimidated by London and have been in other games as well. My point is you don't trade away a top two scorer to fill another need when you lack consistent depth scoring. You fill the needs by other means.

They have a soft D. Perrott alone won't change that as I said all year. Some have improved but a hip check or open ice check every 4 or 5 games doesn't make someone a physical player.

Adding a better defensive forward doesn't make the team more physical upfront.

Trading McDonald didn't make them better offensively either.

I would rather of had Nutter and Xhekaj or Woolley instead of Henault/D'Amico. It makes the team better defensively and adds some of that physicality that's missing but do this while keeping McDonald.

Reactions: 2023 and Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You seem to have all the answers
Spits were 8-8-0-2 at the 18 game mark,since then in the last 29 games Windsor is 19-6--2-2,
13-1-1 at home and 6-5-2-1 on the road
They are averaging 4.31 goals per game for and 3.34 goals against
The PP was 14th overall at that 18 game now it is 2nd
The PK was 20th at the 18 game mark
Now its 6th o/a
Medina is 11-4 in his last 15 starts with a goals against average of 2.77
Onuska in 10 starts is 5-2--1-1 with a goals against average of 3.32
As well Windsor overall for the season is 14-5-1-2 against Flint,London,Guelph and Soo combined.
What the hell is wrong with this
Unfortunately if Medina indeed is no longer in the picture has not been confirmed I dont see this team continuing at this pace or near moving forward.
With Medina in the lineup I have confidence this team would or will do fine, without him Windsor is in trouble.
And all the improvements and roster additions will be for naught because Savard chose Medina to be his team goat,terrible move if true.

There you go making Savard out to be the fall guy as you said you would when he was named coach. At least you're consistent with that. So all it goes on Savard none of the blame on actual Medina??

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Spits were 8-8-0-2 at the 18 game mark,since then in the last 29 games Windsor is 19-6--2-2,
Now its 6th o/a
As well Windsor overall for the season is 14-5-1-2 against Flint,London,Guelph and Soo combined.
Unfortunately if Medina indeed is no longer in the picture has not been confirmed I dont see this team continuing at this pace or near moving forward.
With Medina in the lineup I have confidence this team would or will do fine, without him Windsor is in trouble.
And all the improvements and roster additions will be for naught because Savard chose Medina to be his team goat,terrible move if true.
Just remember 1 thing. Medina is 6/13 on the road. 0.46 win %. He hasn't won a road game since Jan 9th. The Spits have only 8 home games left. 13 on the road. If Medina played them all that would be rounding up in his favor 6 more road wins. That won't make any hay in the standings. Downey has not started a road game all year. Had pressure of home fans on him every game being a rookie. Maybe Onuska and Downey will be better together on the road than Medina. Wouldn't take much too improve over Medinas road record. All argumentative not knowing the final status of X at this point. If he's gone let's move on, look ahead. The team's demeanor on the ice towards O looks healthy. That can go a long way.

member 71782

McDonald for all he brought offensive wise was still a minus player before being dealt.
He also was streaky.

Please, use this line of thought to justify keeping 'D'Amico. One of the streakiest players Windsor has ever had, goal scoring hasn't been what it's been in the past and has the worst +/- on the team or usually right up there with Peer.

Reactions: stips and windsor7

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
There you go making Savard out to be the fall guy as you said you would when he was named coach. At least you're consistent with that. So all it goes on Savard none of the blame on actual Medina??
Yep, Medina had bad attitude when he wasn't signed his draft year. That was known to most. X attitude towards Kari was evident. Those were issues before this year. Savard maybe cleaning up the spilled messes before he arrived this year. So be it, it's time this team stops having problems with players wanting out like it has been for several years. All teams run into it but we want to known as an organization to run to, not runaway from.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
1st goal last night was a perfect example. Our D has a chance to clear behind the net, sees imminent check coming, coughs up puck, quick turnover and it is in our net. Some blame O on that goal but I'm sure he thought we were in control and had little time to prepare. He prevented the usual short side wrap around and the perfect shot banked off the far post. Funny Parker did not mention a single word about goaltending last night for either team in the paper. Topic obviously off limits because you know Parker is aware of the situation and should have asked Savard about it as a reporter.

Star does tip toes on most subjects.
Not complete reporting.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
To add insult to BB issues, Pitre is still lighting it up ….for another team!!!
I was very concerned to start the year, some of those worries were put aside. I am now more concerned than ever. There’s big issues brewing here don’t be ok with the silence from the team, be worried! I’ve been chatting and pried some info loose. I quote “there’s a lit fuse and there’s not much time to cut it”. That opinion is from someone I trust. Lots more to say but nothing more I can relate. Oh imagine again who’s name came up???? Foudy!! Appears to be much more to that story as well. If everything I was told is true BB should not be employed still!

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Now its 6th o/a

If there will be blame it should start at the top.
Owners n bowler.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yep, Medina had bad attitude when he wasn't signed his draft year. That was known to most. X attitude towards Kari was evident. Those were issues before this year. Savard maybe cleaning up the spilled messes before he arrived this year. So be it, it's time this team stops having problems with players wanting out like it has been for several years. All teams run into it but we want to known as an organization to run to, not runaway from.

Would of been nice if Windsor cleaned house totally.
Let savard have his pick of assistant coaches instead of just rinse n repeat.

Reactions: stips

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Star does tip toes on most subjects.
Not complete reporting.
That is true. Could you imagine facing a barrage of reporters like the NHL coaches and players do after each game. The OHL coaches and management have it easy in most cities with maybe London being an exception.

Reactions: windsor7

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Now its 6th o/a
If Medina has complained or argued or caused disruption in the room then really you have no choice but to make an example of him. Can’t just pretend it not happening. But until someone comes out and says something everyone is just guessing.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If Medina has complained or argued or caused disruption in the room then really you have no choice but to make an example of him. Can’t just pretend it not happening. But until someone comes out and says something everyone is just guessing.
Like everything else in life , the answer is somewhere in the middle.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Funny Parker did not mention a single word about goaltending last night for either team in the paper. Topic obviously off limits because you know Parker is aware of the situation and should have asked Savard about it as a reporter.

Just reading the article now - I'm not sure Parker made the trip. He's very good about asking specifics; none of those quotes strike me as "game related", so to speak.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Just reading the article now - I'm not sure Parker made the trip. He's very good about asking specifics; none of those quotes strike me as "game related", so to speak.
Yes interviews appear written almost in advance of the game but the report included the game summary. He knew before the game the situation with X and did not mention goaltending either pre game or post game. He could have at least said Onuska played the game but knew the follow up to reading it would be why didn't he ask the status of X made sure he mentioned Cuylee returning and Ribau not suspended.

Reactions: Section 103

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Well one thing is for sure, you can't say the team gives up or doesn't work hard. Rallying from a 3-0 deficit shows these guys don't give up. Also, the talk about McDonald, yes he scored goals but the team's offensive production hasn't dipped since trading him. They are scoring four or five goals almost every game.

Currie is more physical and seems to be the type of player you need to win playoff games. Same goes for Christopoulis and Maillet, these guys work hard and can wear teams down with the cycle game and are contributing offensively. The issue is the defensive zone coverage, it's a problem but it is what it is. It's gonna be hard to catch Flint, especially with their mickey mouse schedule.

If the Spitfires win tonight they are only one point back of SOO with 4 games in hand. Spits will likely finish 3rd in the conference.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yes interviews appear written almost in advance of the game but the report included the game summary. He knew before the game the situation with X and did not mention goaltending either pre game or post game. He could have at least said Onuska played the game but knew the follow up to reading it would be why didn't he ask the status of X made sure he mentioned Cuylee returning and Ribau not suspended.

I know that he's asked about Onuska/Medina recently and I have no doubt he'd ask it again at next chance.

Reactions: Cherrydon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just remember 1 thing. Medina is 6/13 on the road. 0.46 win %. He hasn't won a road game since Jan 9th. The Spits have only 8 home games left. 13 on the road. If Medina played them all that would be rounding up in his favor 6 more road wins. That won't make any hay in the standings. Downey has not started a road game all year. Had pressure of home fans on him every game being a rookie. Maybe Onuska and Downey will be better together on the road than Medina. Wouldn't take much too improve over Medinas road record. All argumentative not knowing the final status of X at this point. If he's gone let's move on, look ahead. The team's demeanor on the ice towards O looks healthy. That can go a long way.

You are correct Medina is 6-6-0-1 on the road and has not won on the road since Jan 9,going 0-3 in the process,what you failed to mention is that since Jan 9 Medina is 6-0 at home with a 2.30 goals against average to boot.
Onuska on the road is 1-1-1-1 since arriving plus he got yanked 16 minutes into his 1st game after allowing 3 goals and got bailed out by Medina.
Just adding context.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
You are correct Medina is 6-6-0-1 on the road and has not won on the road since Jan 9,going 0-3 in the process,what you failed to mention is that since Jan 9 Medina is 6-0 at home with a 2.30 goals against average to boot.
Onuska on the road is 1-1-1-1 since arriving plus he got yanked 16 minutes into his 1st game after allowing 3 goals and got bailed out by Medina.
Just adding context.
My context is there are 13 of the the next 21 games on the road so my focus is playing on the road. Quit touting X home record when after the next 3 games there will only 5 out of 18 games at home. A great home record goalie is futile to worry about making a move in the standings now. This team must learn to be a great road team to make inroads up the standings, besides to win in the playoffs you need to win on the road. As of right now we likely only have 1 series with home ice adv unless there are 2, 1st round upsets

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
My context is there are 13 of the the next 21 games on the road so my focus is playing on the road. Quit touting X home record when after the next 3 games there will only 5 out of 18 games at home. A great home record goalie is futile to worry about making a move in the standings now. This team must learn to be a great road team to make inroads up the standings, besides to win in the playoffs you need to win on the road. As of right now we likely only have 1 series with home ice adv unless there are 2, 1st round upsets

Well before Medina lost 3 in a row on the road he was 5-1 on the road,so he showed he could go on win runs home and away.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Well before Medina lost 3 in a row on the road he was 5-1 on the road,so he showed he could go on win runs home and away.
Why are we talking about a goalie who may not even be a member of this team anymore. Unless things have changed in the past few days and you've heard different, X is X Spit. Maybe things have since changed but X not with the team the last 2 games speaks volumes for the current state of affairs. If you know different then please elaborate. Even if he crawls back begging, do you really want that drama in the dressing room amongst the rest of the team who are committed to playing their best unconditionally?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Jack Campbell played excellent until the all star break. It is more of what have you done lately. That is the reality in sports. Now the Leafs are in a goalie crisis much like the Spits. If Brochu suddenly was injured the Knights become a average team. All cogs need to be functioning and together to succeed in any league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad