Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 5)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just a feeling, but i think Bowler is done trading. Phone off.
However if not i wouldn't be against it.

Reasonable post,except I doubt

his phone is off,gotta admit he has been pretty active last few weeks after bringing in Nathan Ribau near the start of the season, 5 bodies since didn't empty the draft situation, nice upgrades.
I am sure if there is something worthy,workable, reasonable cost he will act,he has done it so far, much more then in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Reasonable post,except I doubt

his phone is off,gotta admit he has been pretty active last few weeks after bringing in Nathan Ribau near the start of the season, 5 bodies since didn't empty the draft situation, nice upgrades.
I am sure if there is something worthy,workable, reasonable cost he will act,he has done it so far,more much more then in the past.

Owners loosed up a bit for him.

member 71782

So who kept pushing the goalie upgrade?? Some on here have been on about it forever. There’s very few available any better and at what cost??? Yea we gotta hope he stays healthy but truly we have a rookie year and a short year plus this year to rate him. Passable that’s what he is. Not likely to steal a game but better than most others. Great weekend for sure, like I said I’m not worried about scoring. I still get a D man if available again not for a kings ransom either!! To early to tell if this is what to expect or this was an aberration but I like what I’ve seen. Other than Onusca but let’s give him some time too. He prolly still has that ugly green gear on!!! I still think London’s goalie is a problem, he has windsors number!! Fingers crossed there’s another move coming.

Before Christmas, when they had 5 cards left I wanted an upgrade on Medina after the D was upgraded. Once that number became 4 cards there were too many hole and something had to be left out and the starter's role was it.

Bowler did the smart thing, went and got a cheap back up and time will tell how that works out. Expecting a rookie back up is a tough one but Onuska has fewer starts then Downey. Give him time and see what happens.

I would like to see Downey get more games in the back up role. He's let in one or two goals in relief. At the same time if they are going to run mainly Medina and Onuska then Downey won't see much work.

See what happens.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Nice2CU

Oct 31, 2021
Did I just hear Thompson to the Soo?!?!
Where there's smoke there's fire and I think after this weekend it was an eye opener for the top team in the conference. They have such a strong record at home and have a huge advantage playing in their own barn after teams have long travels.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Why did you stretch your sample size out so big, today wasn't enough?

Two games with deals still to be made means there's lots of time for things to change.

Windsor has added 3 players before Christmas and 3 at the deadline so far. 5 have had various levels of impact and one is questionable at the moment. For the most part, so far so good.

What have the other top 4 teams added so far?

Guelph added Guy and Reesor from Sarnia, London has added from within and the SOO has added Tynan.

How does Windsor compare when/if these teams add a couple more players?

Windsor played well, got depth and top line scoring which is great but their depth scoring from everyone not named Cuylle, Johnston or McDonald has been more than inconsistent all season. Two games against the same team that hasn't made any moves beyond adding a goaltender isn't going to tell the final story. If you think it is then it's time for Branch to come to Wibdsor and hand out the hardware and punch Windsor's ticket to the tourney right?

Not one person said they played poorly this weekend and while I only listened to the game I can't think of a reason to say the team performed poorly in any area. Are they going to put up 10 every game? Of course not. Two good games doesn't mean depth consistency issues have been resolved either.

Bowler has two cards he can use and a lot of options to use them on as well as options between picks/players to pull off a couple of surprises. No other team is likely done yet and Windsor shouldn't be either.

If McDonald were still here I would be pushing to keep trying to improve the team.

He's all in now so he needs to finish it off before someone else surpasses what Bowler has done and Windsor still can't get past the second round.

Exactly it was 2 productive games and 4 points they got to cut into a deficit. These two games aren't an indicator if other guys are going to pick up the slack for McDonald. They did these 2 games but you're not going to score 15 goals combined in back to back games very often.

As for Medina all we really have to go on is what he did for his stretch this year. That doesn't mean he can't do it for a long stretch he just hasn't shown it yet. I don't believe there was ever intention to upgrade over Medina and that's fine but they better be confident in what they have behind him.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This, 100%. It started with Piiroinen and Incze and, to an extent, continues today.

This is where you get confused. Fans want a goalie again like DiPietro. At no time did anyone think Incnze or Piiroinen were going to approach DiPietro. There's a stark contrast between wanting and expecting. Did I expect Piiroinen to be like DiPietro? Hardly. Did I expect Piiroinen to be better than he was?? Yes.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not confused, I know what I saw/heard. Not just on here, but at the rink, too. Ever since DiPietro left, fans have higher expectations for their goaltenders and sometimes it's too high. Like I said, it started with Piiroinen and Incze and has continued to this season. You can disagree all you wish but I'm obviously not the only one who's noticed.

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
so it sucks traveling all the way to the soo?

so how is the fact our team has to do it all season an advantage for us?

windsor came into our barn and kicked our ass fair and square twice and didn't look road weary at all. lol

I feel like if the Game against Guelph wasnt Postponed yet again you would have seen some effect on Sundays game as instead of leaving for the Soo early the next morning they likely just went straight to the soo. I also wonder how often teams have played a back 2 back against the same team honestly forget if thats how it was originally or if todays game was a make up game.

member 71782

I feel like if the Game against Guelph wasnt Postponed yet again you would have seen some effect on Sundays game as instead of leaving for the Soo early the next morning they likely just went straight to the soo. I also wonder how often teams have played a back 2 back against the same team honestly forget if thats how it was originally or if todays game was a make up game.

The two games in the SOO were scheduled back to back but originally Friday and Saturday.

member 71782

4 1/2 hours to go. Hope Bowler is awake and ready to get this done.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
so it sucks traveling all the way to the soo?

so how is the fact our team has to do it all season an advantage for us?

windsor came into our barn and kicked our ass fair and square twice and didn't look road weary at all. lol
I think the big difference for this weekend was the "no travel" through the states. Spits took the 11 hour drive around the lakes. Even the Soo doesn't normally do that. 4 1/2 hours from Windsor to the Soo is the "normal trip". Now the Soo will be faced with the same similar trip this weekend. Even for the Soo this travel is an outlier. We need to return the world to "normal" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad