William Nylander Discussion: 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

We'll see. Even without Martin, the marlies d have struggled at handling the puck. If there is any fatal flaw with this marlies team, that would most certainly be it.

To be fair. Most of the D man are decent at that, aside from Brennan

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This.

Then lack of patience in some people gets frustrating.

OK. cool. we get it some of our AHL guys have NHL skill, great.. but a large portion of them are younger than 21. So let them develop and grow a winning culture and actually feel some playoff atmosphere.

:help:

Thank god, our management aren't listening to fools.

Fools eh?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Maybe its because you aren't looking at their defence.

Any team's defence with James Martin on their defence corp will be underwhelming to say the least.

yeah, it's a stacked Dcorps too.

Brennan (0.98) - Percy (0.43)
Valiev (0.37) - Campbell (0.39)
Harrington (0.18) - Loov (0.24)
Kolomatis (1.00) - Holl (0.30)

mikebel111*

Every one of them have had their "uh-oh" moments though.

Campbell, Valiev, Percy and especially Loov. Tbh, Holl is the only one who I completely trust handling the puck back there.

I could agree with that as well. As you said, Loov is pretty nervewracking as well
Though Brennan is really scary on the PP. I hope Keefe lets Nylander be the puck carrier on PP.
why its Brennan is beyond me.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We'll see. Even without Martin, the marlies d have struggled at handling the puck. If there is any fatal flaw with this marlies team, that would most certainly be it.

I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be though, the defense is more then adequate to win an AHL championship.

mikebel111*

yeah, it's a stacked Dcorps too.

Brennan (0.98) - Percy (0.43)
Valiev (0.37) - Campbell (0.39)
Harrington (0.18) - Loov (0.24)
Kolomatis (1.00) - Holl (0.30)

Based on offensive numbers yes. In terms of Dzone play, not really.

mikebel111*

I don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be though, the defense is more then adequate to win an AHL championship.

Its not horrible but this is a main drawback for the Marlies. At times they simply bobble it or have bad turnovers. It could be a deciding factor.

mikebel111*

yeah really.

the only guy not good defensively is Brennan.

I dont agree with it. The defensive play has been average at best but they are getting better IMO.
at least the PK is good.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
will ny the hockey guyyyyyyy. Im glad hes soon to be back, hes my favorite player.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

More than adequate yes, but if there is a weakness to this team, it'd be the defense.

4th best GAA in the league.

We're a strong possession team and that's mostly due to our high scoring forwards. Also we have a Babcock-run system that can make even a non talented team look like a possession beast. The other team can't score because we have the puck.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yes I know that. Mostly do to good goaltending
not saying its a huge issue but it is a weakness

They haven't really had good goaltending. Bibeau is sitting below .900, and they've been rotating tryouts and ECHL guys since Sparks was hurt.

mikebel111*

They haven't really had good goaltending. Bibeau is sitting below .900, and they've been rotating tryouts and ECHL guys since Sparks was hurt.

Bibeau has been solid after that rough 1st month and half..
People like Emery and Madore filled in nicely. Sparks has been great all year.

mikebel111*

Yup thats important. They are a great possession team so thats good.
it looks like they are the 4th best team in puck possession

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nah, Bibeau has improved from unplayable to bad. Emery was just unplayable. Massa and Madore were good in the 2 games they played.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
yeah, they're young, but it's still chintzy winning a calder while intentionally tanking your nhl team.

The intentionally tanking comments annoy me. Leafs have brought up the top PPG producer (Froese) on the Marlies last year & he has 4 points in 34 games with the Leafs. Arcobello is just under Nylander's point production this year, 1.23 vrs 1.26 PPG & he has zero points in 11 games with the Leafs. Brennan has produced at .98 & leads the AHL in points, but has not been too impressive while with the Leafs. Leivo, is at .86 PPG in the AHL this year.

So, 4 of the top 5 producing Marlies (not Nylander) over the last 2 years have had opportunities with the Leafs, Brennan not this year though. Yet Leafs are tanking because they haven't called up Nylander or other Marlie's players? Arcobello, Leivo & Froese have 4 points in combined 51 games with the Leafs this year. From some comments prior to the World Juniors, it sounded like the Leafs were planning on calling Nylander up after the tournament. That is moot now.

I think some people here just don't clue into the different levels that the NHL & AHL are at. Some of the players on the Leafs that are regularly put down on these threads would absolutely tear up the AHL. Arcobello was invisible with the Leafs & he has been one of the most dominant players in the AHL.

Anyone that has any knowledge of Babcock, Shanahan or Lamoriello would know they would never try to tank. They may be willing to keep players like Nylander down this year, but that would be because they feel it will be better for him & the team in the long run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad