Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
Its simple we need Stamkos to be the face of this franchise while we cultivate our new young core. He works hard and is a Toronto boy... We need a player like that to provide us with leadership and shoulder some of the pressure we will soon be piling on Marner, Nylander and our 1st rounder this year.

Make no mistake, if we sign Stamkos it won't be a departure from the plan of building slowly, what it will do is slow the maturation of our young studs and not thrust them into the spotlight, Stamkos provides a healthy umbrella for them to flourish under.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
What will he be paying for in CAD? A house? They're crazy expensive in CAD? Luxuries will be in USD. Securities and investments will be in USD. I don't see a giant savings.

Are you being serious. All expenses in Ontario are paid in Canadian currency, so whether it is a house, cottage, cars, suits or just day to day bills such as hydro, Gas, getting 1.30 on every dollar is significant. I cant believe you are being serious? You do realize how much a 1,000 000 cottage would cost if paid for in US currency?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If he waives, its because they give him a nice tranche of cash. Otherwise why would he bother doing it? Kaberle and Sundin sure smoked the Leafs when they didn't waive NTC's. Imagine the loot and treasure we could have gotten for them, as both were elite at the time.

Now unfortunately, the only elite player we have is JVR and heck, I think we should keep the guy, I dunno if we want to just have prospects and nothing else. I suppose if anyone could make it work, it would be Babcock.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Sounds like the priority is playoffs then test free agency.

To me it sounds like ultimate leverage point in a contract discussion.

I see two milestone moments here.

1. Trade Deadline - Clearly, the Lightning either pony up and get to his his number or they risk losing him for nothing. If they come up to his number and he doesn't sign AND doesn't waive his NTC… wow. That info would leak over time but would be his choice. It may have an impact on his "brand value" if he is perceived in that light.

2. Summer before Free Agency - this would be much less important. If he's got this far, he's likely going UFA but a high offer from TB might be enough.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I was just listening to Dean Blundell and the rumor is that the Leafs are going to trade for his rights and once it's done they will try to sign him for 8 years @ $11-14 M

I am sorry but that's way too much both the term and the dollars

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
That's an outlandish rumour. Very un-Lamoriello like (in terms of long term vision). Yet at the same time he does tend to shock so Lamoriello like (in terms of a blockbuster out of left field trade).

I find it hard to believe since nothing was leaked for the Phaneuf trade not even a crumb

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's an outlandish rumour. Very un-Lamoriello like (in terms of long term vision). Yet at the same time he does tend to shock so Lamoriello like (in terms of a blockbuster out of left field trade).

I find it hard to believe since nothing was leaked for the Phaneuf trade not even a crumb

It's probably not coming from Lamoriello/Leafs though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe Stamkos and the Lightning are at an impasse and Yzerman's looking to cut bait and recoup assets. So he's allowing Stamkos to speak to other teams (aka Toronto) to get a sense of contract dollars offered to make the informed decision Meehan was speaking of. This could bring us closer to a July 1 UFA departure, but may also bring about a Kovalchuk to New Jersey type trade (which I wouldn't be a fan of). Maybe something along the lines of Kadri, B prospect, non first rounders?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They said 11-12, not 11-14. And his rights wouldn't be acquired, if it even happened, until June probably. Either way, I don't give them much, if anything. If Stamkos wants to be here, he will come here as a free agent. If not, we'll keep our cap space.

I'm still holding out hope that Stamkos might take 10 to play here. Wishful thinking likely, but nevertheless.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The rationale behind the rumor is that Tampa Bay would agree to a sign and trade with the Leafs prior to July 1st, so that they don't lose him for nothing, and so that Stamkos can get an 8th year on his deal. Both sides would benefit.

As for the Leafs, it might appear to not make any sense to give up any assets and add an additional year to his contract if they don't have to, but it would be more of a goodwill gesture that will ensure that he ends up here.

My gut says we will end up giving up something palatable as a token gesture and sign him to an 8 year, 91 million dollar contract prior to July 1st. I think I could live with that.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I get the feeling from the recent interview from Meehan and Stamkos' comments yesterday, as well as the Chris Johnston article just posted on sprotsnet.ca that we might actually make a move for him. If he does want to come here, (which I believe he does) he will want that 8th year, and I could see him telling Yzerman that is the only destination that he will waive to go to. I am sure through back channels this would leak back to the Leafs so that they don't give up anything too substantial for him. I could see us doing something that will help them cap wise and for their playoff run without Stamkos, but not hurt us long term. None of the guys going to Tampa would impact their cap picture beyond next season when they have lots of guys to sign.

Maybe something like:

TOR
Stamkos
Carle

TBL
Polak
Michalek
Parenteau

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The rationale behind the rumor is that Tampa Bay would agree to a sign and trade with the Leafs prior to July 1st, so that they don't lose him for nothing, and so that Stamkos can get an 8th year on his deal. Both sides would benefit.

As for the Leafs, it might appear to not make any sense to give up any assets and add an additional year to his contract if they don't have to, but it would be more of a goodwill gesture that will ensure that he ends up here.

My gut says we will end up giving up something palatable as a token gesture and sign him to an 8 year, 91 million dollar contract prior to July 1st. I think I could live with that.

we could afford to give kadri rfa rights. if we have stamkos we dont need kadri.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I actually think Kadri would be an overpayment under the circumstances. I think something along the lines of what Apps proposed would do it, depending on if it happens prior to the trade deadline or after.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I get the feeling from the recent interview from Meehan and Stamkos' comments yesterday, as well as the Chris Johnston article just posted on sprotsnet.ca that we might actually make a move for him. If he does want to come here, (which I believe he does) he will want that 8th year, and I could see him telling Yzerman that is the only destination that he will waive to go to. I am sure through back channels this would leak back to the Leafs so that they don't give up anything too substantial for him. I could see us doing something that will help them cap wise and for their playoff run without Stamkos, but not hurt us long term. None of the guys going to Tampa would impact their cap picture beyond next season when they have lots of guys to sign.

Maybe something like:

TOR
Stamkos
Carle

TBL
Polak
Michalek
Parenteau

This is what I'm thinking as well at the moment. Maybe it's a Kadri or Bozak though, who could slot in and replace him in a top 6 role. Sort of the Callahan deal for St. Louis. Massive personnel downgrade, but maybe some extra warm bodies get thrown, but nothing substantial. Nothing greater than the Kovalchuk to NJ deal.

Sort of between token compensation and an honorarium?

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tampa Bay is going to be in cap hell soon. I don't think they can absorb the contract of Bozak or the projected contract of Kadri, even if they wanted to.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If a sign-and-trade was arranged, doesn't the team acquiring the contract have the option to bypass any NTC/NMC? It seems like something that might be risky for Stamkos, who you would think would be looking for as much security as possible, particularly if he were headed to Toronto.

Maybe I'm wrong though, or we could still honour it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If a sign-and-trade was arranged, doesn't the team acquiring the contract have the option to bypass any NTC/NMC? It seems like something that might be risky for Stamkos, who you would think would be looking for as much security as possible, particularly if he were headed to Toronto.

Maybe I'm wrong though, or we could still honour it.

I imagine they could iron out those concerns...

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I honestly think that all this noise about Stamkos preferring other teams is to get the Leafs nervous and try and trade for him so that Tampa doesn't lose him for nothing in free agency.

I've always wondered if the "insiders" do favours like that for management in exchange for leaking info to break news. I think they must

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad