Why the Maple Leafs Bought Out Grabovski

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He just means an optertunistic offensively minded game. It's nothing and not an insult. Smart offense, they got 50 shots and lost so take that however.

Whatever he truly meant in those comments, I think we can put to rest this discussion. He is gone, he is happy playing smarter hockey in Washington. He is putting up points.

We saw the value of Kadri and Clarkson last night, we have seen the value of Raymond. The buyout allowed us room to get players that fit our team better.

Grabo had a chance to show us why we missed him last night, but truth is we don't. When Bolland is back this will be accentuated more.

You have to admit Clarkson has looked great his past 4 games. Kadri looked great last night with Lupul and Clarkson. Raymond on the 3rd line. The pieces all fit better with these players. When Bozak comes back Kessel and JVR will be better.

This is the point why we had to buy Grabovski out. He's doing well in Washington, he's happy playing smarter hockey than our dumb hockey. Let's move on.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Whatever he truly meant in those comments, I think we can put to rest this discussion. He is gone, he is happy playing smarter hockey in Washington. He is putting up points.

We saw the value of Kadri and Clarkson last night, we have seen the value of Raymond. The buyout allowed us room to get players that fit our team better.

Grabo had a chance to show us why we missed him last night, but truth is we don't. When Bolland is back this will be accentuated more.

You have to admit Clarkson has looked great his past 4 games. Kadri looked great last night with Lupul and Clarkson. Raymond on the 3rd line. The pieces all fit better with these players. When Bozak comes back Kessel and JVR will be better.

This is the point why we had to buy Grabovski out. He's doing well in Washington, he's happy playing smarter hockey than our dumb hockey. Let's move on.
I agree with this. Both Grabo and MacArthur are top 6 players and there was absolutely no room for them on this team. I'd much rather have Clarkson and Kadri over those guys. Clarke and Grabo are really good players though and it's too bad they were let go for free (especially MacArthur who was used sparingly last season).
I'm glad they are doing very well this season. I wish MacArthur had gone to any other team though. ****ing hate the Sens so much.

LogieTrice

Oct 24, 2013
Bozak does it all. That's why hes paid what he is paid.

Granted hes not an offensive dynamo, but he literally does it all.

#1 PK, #1 PP, Great on faceoffs, great defensively, blocks some shots, great chemistry with our top offensive players (Kessel, JvR, Lupul). Its also worth noting that our 5 on 5 play has declined significantly since hes been gone too. Plus hes seems like a guy everyone likes which helps team chemistry.

Now, I'm not saying I'd take Bozak over Sid, but comparing him directly to Sid - he only does 2 or maybe 3 of what I have listed. Granted he does them AMAZINGLY, but still only brings a few things.

Thoughts?

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto

#1 PK, #1 PP, Great on faceoffs, great defensively, blocks some shots, great chemistry with our top offensive players (Kessel, JvR, Lupul). Its also worth noting that our 5 on 5 play has declined significantly since hes been gone too. Plus hes seems like a guy everyone likes which helps team chemistry.

Now, I'm not saying I'd take Bozak over Sid, but comparing him directly to Sid - he only does 2 or maybe 3 of what I have listed. Granted he does them AMAZINGLY, but still only brings a few things.

Thoughts?

The grabo fans are going to be all over you. I love what bozak brings to the table, stability.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Thoughts?

Did you forget about Jay and Nik?

Bozak and Crosby should never be used in the same sentence except for stating why Bozak will never be a competent #1 for a team trying to win a cup.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011

Thoughts?
Bozak is great value for the money he is paid. He is not a big offensive threat but he isn't paid like one either. There is absolutely no doubt that Kessel and JVR need a strong defensive center to cover for them; Kessel is terrible defensively (except maybe in the playoffs) and JVR is pretty poor when he isn't on the pk. I can't believe the heat that Bozak gets, he's super clutch with his shorthanded and shootout goals. He's won the leafs a bunch of games. He's only paid 4.2 million and he's worth every penny.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The grabo fans are going to be all over you. I love what bozak brings to the table, stability.

Sadly, even after witnessing last night's game. I agree with you, the Grabo fans are never going to see he did not fit here at that term especially, and Bozak does.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

Thoughts?

1) Bozak doesn't play the #1 PK unit
2) The JVR/Kessel combo only suffered when JVR was tried at centre, otherwise they have looked exactly the same at even strength without Bozak until this latest couple of games in which Kessel has been playing with the flu and/or a wrist injury. THey had some of their best games of the season against Pittsburgh and Edmonton with Kadri in the centre (5g6a between the three in those two games at ES).

Leafs 5 on 5 play suffered noticeably overall when Bolland was injured. Before then they didn't miss a beat without Bozak.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Sadly, even after witnessing last night's game. I agree with you, the Grabo fans are never going to see he did not fit here at that term especially, and Bozak does.

I want to make this clear, I like grabo as a player and a person, I just see bozak as a better fit for this team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I want to make this clear, I like grabo as a player and a person, I just see bozak as a better fit for this team.

I like Bozak as a player, but if there was someone better for this team I would move him too. So we are in agreement in principal.

There is something about being a blind fan that keeps pushing for a player that doesn't fit on a team, and one that wants what is best for the team.

I am a Leafs fans first and foremost, I want us to win. If that means moving favourite players to achieve this, I would not hesitate to do this.

What I want more is for us to have a parade on Bay st one day. Grabo does not fit, Bozak does for now. That's the bottom line.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I like Bozak as a player, but if there was someone better for this team I would move him too. So we are in agreement in principal.

There is something about being a blind fan that keeps pushing for a player that doesn't fit on a team, and one that wants what is best for the team.

I am a Leafs fans first and foremost, I want us to win. If that means moving favourite players to achieve this, I would not hesitate to do this.

What I want more is for us to have a parade on Bay st one day. Grabo does not fit, Bozak does for now. That's the bottom line.

I wouldn't hesitate to move him either, if a better player and fit comes along. We look to be on total agreement here.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McClement-Smithson-Orr
McLaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Fraser-Rielly
Ranger

Reimer
Bernier

I think we'll do just fine without Grabovski.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
1) Bozak doesn't play the #1 PK unit
2) The JVR/Kessel combo only suffered when JVR was tried at centre, otherwise they have looked exactly the same at even strength without Bozak until this latest couple of games in which Kessel has been playing with the flu and/or a wrist injury. THey had some of their best games of the season against Pittsburgh and Edmonton with Kadri in the centre (5g6a between the three in those two games at ES).

Leafs 5 on 5 play suffered noticeably overall when Bolland was injured. Before then they didn't miss a beat without Bozak.

Uhhh I'm guessing you turned the TV off when Kessel and JVR were paired with Kadri, because they were brutal.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The top line would be better with an established, elite first line centre compared to Bozak. Ok, congratulations for being right I guess? I can't imagine there is anybody who would disagree with that.

What I don't buy into are your comments on Bozak. Bozak does not have to carry the puck up the ice. Using that metric to write him off as a bad player who can't play on the first line with Kessel & JVR or Lupul is where I disagree. He isn't the ideal fit for the role. I'm not arguing with that because it's simply correct. But this doesn't mean he isn't effective. Bozak understands that Kessel or JVR want to carry the puck into the offensive zone and generate offensive pressure from the wing. That is Kessel's bread and butter. It doesn't matter if Bozak can't do it because the main offensive threat on the line doesn't want him to. It works and it produces points. Whether or not it would work better with another player is a hypothetical and that hypothetical needs to be limited to realistic options for the Leafs at centre to have much worth in judging the worth of Bozak imo. What does Getzlaf have to do with anything?

Would the line probably work better with Getzlaf on it? Yes. Getzlaf is also not available. Who out of the available centres would work better? The potential crop of first line centres that can fill the role that you are using as a metric for Bozak's effectiveness are not particularly enticing.

I'm assuming this is where Grabovski comes into play. Yes, Grabovski is good at generating possession and carrying the puck into the offensive zone. The trouble is Phil Kessel is much, much better at it. What good is it to bring Grabovski in to do it when Kessel wants to do it and much of his bread and butter comes from the approach of letting him do it? Does that improve anything? I don't think it does. The question then becomes what does Bozak do well? He wins faceoffs & takes care of the defensive/positional responsibilities that is required of a centre and does it against top competition. He provides enough of an offensive touch to be effective and understands that his offensive touch is mostly along the lines of just getting the puck to the elite guys that do have an offensive touch. He does this and understands a role he can fill within the line in order for the line to be successful. Other options (such as Grabovski) have not.

You can disagree with me, that's fine. You are also disagreeing with two head coaches, probably the largest and highest paid management team in hockey and the scouts for the Leafs. Pretty much everyone I listed there had input into the decision to cut Grabovski loose and put their chips in with Bozak & the extra cap space. Their conclusions towards what is the best option to make the team better line up with mine and I take more comfort in that than any cherry picked stats that give a slight edge to Grabovski over a ridiculously minuscule sample size. His play this year doesn't really change anything either considering the role Washington is using him in and his lack of consistency.

I don't really understand why people make such a big deal about Grabovski's comments either. They weren't very professional or very intelligent but I don't think that is too big of a blight on the character of Grabovski or a significant slight towards the organization. I think it's a mixture of frustration due to a perceived lack of opportunity (which in a sense is true, although what is overlooked there is the reason for the lack of opportunity to be utilized in an offensive setting) and a pretty significant shift in his life.

If you were happily settled in a city you call home, had just started a new family, etc etc and all of a sudden were forced to uproot everything and move due to something completely out of your control would you handle it well? It's the business but that doesn't make it any easier for somebody really experiencing it for the first time. Dude put his heart into playing for the Leafs and signed a big, long contract. Got quickly bumped out of the role he succeeds in and just as quickly told "you have more value being paid not to be here than to be here". That probably stung quite a bit and with his personality it's not really a surprise he would have such a reaction. I'm sure he regrets publicly voicing his frustration in such a manner though regardless of how he feels about Carlyle or anyone else in Leafs management. I'd value the body of work he put in as a player both on and off the ice over that little public airing of frustration and disappointment. It ultimately came from his desire to want to be here and be successful here.

I seem to have created a wall. Sorry about that, pretty bored.

If you took the time to read who I was responding to, you'd see that they were arguing that the Leafs wouldn't be better off with a top line centre instead of Bozak, and that same person brought up Getzlaf as a hypothetical example, not as something that was realistically out there. That's ridiculous.

As for the rest of your post - you're really missing the point. I'm simply saying that Bozak is not fit to be a top line centre, and Grabovski, the better player overall, would have been a better option in that role. Carrying the puck into the offensive zone is a skill any top line forward should have, and the fact that Bozo's line-mates are able to do it doesn't let him off the hook. How often have you seen Kessel try to carry it into the zone only to be halted by a big steady defenseman twice his size, making Kessel settle for a useless perimeter shot? Your top line should provide threats from all three forward positions. If teams know Bozo won't be taking the puck across the blue line into their zone, they can easily focus more on Kessel on the rush and neutralize his threat. Think about it from the opponents perspective.

Remember when Lupul was added to the top line a couple seasons ago, how much that helped Kessel? It opened up the ice more - Joffrey's ability to carry the puck and generate scoring chances on his own naturally helped his linemates as well. Today, JVR fills that same role. Having a centreman with the same abilities would do the same thing and make things absolutely horrific for the opponent. Who do they focus on? They can't cheat to one side or the other, including the goalie, who will have to respect the pass as much as the shot. With Bozo, goalies can easily figure out what he's gonna do, and cheat towards Kessel or JVR before the pass is even made. Predictability in sports is a big weakness, my friend.

Bozak should be on the third line. It's not his fault that he's instead on the top line, as he didn't make that decision. Carlyle kept that decision in place, which was there from the Burke/Wilson days, and Nonis reinforced it when he released a better centre in Grabo, because the coach wasn't going to use him in that role.

Last edited:

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Is there any reason why this matters by the way? Our top line is one of the most productive top lines in the league. It isn't even an issue for us. Bozak isn't costing us any games.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
People complain Grabovski was used in a defensive role.

Well Kadri clearly surpassed him last year as an offensive threat so there's one spot gone. Then Bozak clearly was a more important player for us in the playoffs last year so there's another centre spot gone.

The only spot left for Grabovski was the third line. And no he was not a good fit there and that's why he's gone.

People like to tie the Grabovski buyout with the Clarkson signing but I feel buying out Grabovski was much closer related to the Bolland trade than Clarkson.

Of course the other reason Grabovski is gone is that he had an absolutely dreadful playoff. Two points and -10 in seven games? Completely ineffective. You can't afford to spend $5 million on that kind of performance.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If you took the time to read who I was responding to, you'd see that they were arguing that the leafs wouldn't be better off with a top line centre instead of Bozak, and that same person brought up Getzlaf as a hypothetical example, not as something that was realistically out there. That's ridiculous.

As for the rest of your post - you're really missing the point. I'm simply saying that Bozak is not fit to be a top line centre, and Grabovski, the better player overall, would have been a better option in that role. Carrying the puck into the offensive zone is a skill any top line forward should have, and the fact that Bozo's line-mates are able to do it doesn't let him off the hook. How often have you seen Kessel try to carry it into the zone only to be halted by a big steady defenseman twice his side, making Kessel settle for a useless perimeter shot? Your top line should provide threats from all three forward positions. If teams know Bozo won't be taking the puck across the blue line into their zone, they can easily focus more on Kessel on the rush and neutralize his threat. Think about it from the opponents perspective.

Remember when Lupul was added to the top line a couple seasons ago, how much that helped Kessel? It opened up the ice more,and Lupuls ability to generate scoring chances on his own helped naturally helped his linemates as well. Today, JVR fills that same role. Having a centreman with the same abilities would do the same thing and make things absolutely horrific for the opponent. Who do they focus on? They can't cheat to one side or the other, including the goalie, who will have to respect the pass as much as the shot. With Bozo, goalies can easily figure out what he's gonna do, and cheat towards Kessel or JVR before the pass is even made. Predictability in sports is a big weakness, my friend.

Bozak should be on the third line. It's not his fault that he's instead on the top line, as he didn't make that decision. Carlyle kept that decision in place, which was there from the Burke/Wilson days, and Nonis reinforced it when he released a better centre in Grabo, because the coach wasn't going to use him in that role.

So wrong.....Grabo was never going to be a fit with Kessel as Kessel wants to carry the puck as does Grabo...they kept the better Center in Kadri as that is who took Grabo's job as the second line center and resigned the better fit of Bozak to center the Kessel line.

I for one am so Glad that Grabo is gone as he was so over rated here and not a player you want to build around as he brought nothing to the table that would allow you to pay him $5.5 million a year!

Your premise that Kessel becomes easier to defend because Bozak does not carry the puck up ice is so far from reality.....Kessels speed makes him a difficult player to defend and this has nothing to do with his line mates at all. His passing ability also makes his linemates dangerous when Kessel has the puck.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
If you took the time to read who I was responding to, you'd see that they were arguing that the leafs wouldn't be better off with a top line centre instead of Bozak, and that same person brought up Getzlaf as a hypothetical example, not as something that was realistically out there. That's ridiculous.

As for the rest of your post - you're really missing the point. I'm simply saying that Bozak is not fit to be a top line centre, and Grabovski, the better player overall, would have been a better option in that role. Carrying the puck into the offensive zone is a skill any top line forward should have, and the fact that Bozo's line-mates are able to do it doesn't let him off the hook. How often have you seen Kessel try to carry it into the zone only to be halted by a big steady defenseman twice his side, making Kessel settle for a useless perimeter shot? Your top line should provide threats from all three forward positions. If teams know Bozo won't be taking the puck across the blue line into their zone, they can easily focus more on Kessel on the rush and neutralize his threat. Think about it from the opponents perspective.

Remember when Lupul was added to the top line a couple seasons ago, how much that helped Kessel? It opened up the ice more,and Lupuls ability to generate scoring chances on his own helped naturally helped his linemates as well. Today, JVR fills that same role. Having a centreman with the same abilities would do the same thing and make things absolutely horrific for the opponent. Who do they focus on? They can't cheat to one side or the other, including the goalie, who will have to respect the pass as much as the shot. With Bozo, goalies can easily figure out what he's gonna do, and cheat towards Kessel or JVR before the pass is even made. Predictability in sports is a big weakness, my friend.

Grabovski is not a first centre either. I would much rather have an elite player in Kessel have the puck and carry the puck than a secondary scoring player in Grabovski. Kessel blows past the defenceman and uses his shot to generate a high quality scoring chance or dishes to JVR/Lupul quite often as well since the goalie has to respect his shot. Bozak is far from perfect, but he handles the bare minimum and gives the puck to the better players. Grabovski has a tendency to hang onto the puck and try to generate offense himself. He's a good possession player & all that, but he's not a fit for that line. A quality first line centre would be a massive upgrade. Grabovski is not that. There's a reason Wilson didn't try it outside of brief periods. There's a reason Carlyle didn't try it. It's not because they are stubborn or terrible coaches. It's because the games don't mesh on paper and it didn't mesh when it was tried.

The fact of the matter is that opponents don't stop the Kessel line. His production & results speak for themselves. If it is so predictable and easy to stop why is Kessel consistently producing at a PPG pace? If "Bozo" was such an anchor and liability and the line was so easy for opponents to neutralize that would not be happening. There is nothing outside of your hopes, dreams, and hypothetical improvable fantasies that suggest Grabovski would take that line to the next level. Two nhl coaches passed up on utilizing Grabovski in that role as well as a rather large collection of professional hockey minds.

He's gone. Move on.

Feb 24, 2004
People complain Grabovski was used in a defensive role.

Well Kadri clearly surpassed him last year as an offensive threat so there's one spot gone. Then Bozak clearly was a more important player for us in the playoffs last year so there's another centre spot gone.

The only spot left for Grabovski was the third line. And no he was not a good fit there and that's why he's gone.

Two things (as many have pointed out before me):

1) Why not Bozak on the third line and Grabovski on the second line?
2) Bozak was hardly better than Grabovski in the playoffs last year, and he played with far better linemates.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Is there any reason why this matters by the way? Our top line is one of the most productive top lines in the league. It isn't even an issue for us. Bozak isn't costing us any games.

Why settle for less? Why not want more, why not want to be the best?

I want this team to win the Cup, not just make the playoffs, not just get through a few rounds.

So of course it matters, it's the top line centre position. And there's no way you can say for sure that Bozak isn't costing us games, when you don't know what the team would be like with a better player in that position. I can't say for sure the other way either - this is all simply opinion. My opinion, shared by many others here, is that the Leafs would be much better off with even a marginally elite top line centre between Kessel and JVR instead of Tyler freakin Bozak.

"Greed is good."
- Gordon Gekko, Wall Street

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
You're aware that Grabovski's performance with Kessel was better than Bozak's was, correct?
This is where we cherry pick stats from an incredibly limited sample size and act as if it is some irrefutable nugget of knowledge when in reality is has no relevance. Am I right or wrong here?

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Why settle for less? Why not want more, why not want to be the best?

I want this team to win the Cup, not just make the playoffs, not just get through a few rounds.

So of course it matters, it's the top line centre position. And there's no way you can say for sure that Bozak isn't costing us games, when you don't know what the team would be like with a better player in that position. I can't say for sure the other way either - this is all simply opinion. My opinion, shared by many others here, is that the Leafs would be much better off with even a marginally elite top line centre between Kessel and JVR instead of Tyler freakin Bozak.

"Greed is good."
- Gordon Gekko, Wall Street

We're not settling for less. We have one of the most productive first lines in the league. Why **** with that? This helps us win games.

What evidence is there to show that the line would be more productive with other players? We tried having our top three offensive threats on the same line and it was a joke. We tried putting Kadri on that top line and the line would never even make it to the end of the game without being juggled; and nobody will argue against Kadri being a better scorer.

Look at the New York Rangers. Went from I believe second in the East, traded their role players for a superstar, picked up another couple superstars in Richards and Gaborik, and all of a sudden they're a fringe playoff team.

The NHL isn't as simple as "these guys score the most so put them all together." This is why we hire seasoned professionals like Randy Carlyle, who are privy to more information than us, who have much more knowledge than us and who watch much more hockey than we do.

Edited because I believe Gaborik played with NYR during their great season. Point stands. Don't **** with what's working for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad