Why is there talk of Ken Holland leaving the Oilers after this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Contract is up and many call this drive a fluke. The new coach was not his hirer
This Edmonton team is a better team than last year and they are a team that gave Vegas trouble last year...who kind of rolled everyone.
This is a good team, while flawed but still very good. Hell the analytics guys had Edmtonon top 3 at the start of the year.
Anyone calling this drive a fluke haven't really watched the team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This. I don't hate Holland, but even an above average GM would have a few cups with that duo. The Nurse contract, the goaltending, overpaying some very shitty forwards...
Bang on.

I remember having excited conversations with a good buddy about how many Cups we'd win when it came down that we were drafting McDavid. We said anything short of 3 would be a disappointment.

Reactions: JKG33

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Bang on.

I remember having excited conversations with a good buddy about how many Cups we'd win when it came down that we were drafting McDavid. We said anything short of 3 would be a disappointment.
I wonder if it's being lost in translation, but he's been GM for only 5 years, not since Mcdavid was drafted. He might be getting one of your wished for 3 and there's potential next year if he doesn't get canned. After that McDavid is still very young and will be re-signing.

Reactions: Astyanax

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It's the end of his contract, he's 68 years old, his moves have been so-so, and up until this year, he hasn't accomplished much in his tenure in Edmonton. The last couple months might have changed things, but with Jeff Jackson now running things, this is his opportunity to get His Guy in there and see if they can go for more than one Cup.
More than one cup.

So the cup is coming up north then?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
It just seems like Holland lost the political game.

The owner has a new favorite, Holland's contract is up and the writing is on the wall.

I don't think he's done either a good or a disastrous job. If he had done a terrible job, then changing coaches wouldn't have made a difference. Clearly the talent was there.

That said, he HAS had the best player on Earth and top 5 player on Earth, and this is the first time they have a shot at the cup... as underdogs.

I think the Campbell and the Nurse contracts are reason enough to fire him, honestly.
Yeah, that nurse contract is tough to swallow, but he's used to that ilitch money, what can you do.!!?? That power play was sooooo lethal last year I had them in final last year. I don't know, does he deserve to stay? Bottom line, this is the best the Oilers have done since Glen Sather. The same talent was already there for others. So...?

The Oilers have been knocking on the door for his entire tenure and somehow he's been hesitant to make big swings on rentals while also not stocking the cupboard. The only first he's traded was for Ekholm, a player with term, which was a good trade but late picks don't matter when the team has the best player in the world, and another top 5.

His history as a drafter is also not stellar. Zadina over Hughes when Hughes played in Michigan being a big example.

Holland is going to be the next Burke, right place at the right time. All he did was accept Pronger with open arms and have Rob Neidermayer under contract when he got there.
I agree, in that given his history, I'm a little surprised he didn't try to bring in more help for Connor.
But over all his drafting has been stellar. He was the head of detroit's scouting department that won back-to-back cups. They didn't hold on to many of their picks afterwords but managed to add fischer and Kronwall. Also most pundits had Zadina in the top 3. He fell we jumped, I have no problem with that. And by all accounts we were taking Bouchard over Hughes anyway.

Holland won in 2008 because he had a top-5 defenseman of all time and two of the best two-way forwards to ever play the game. He's in the finals now because he has a player that might actually go down as the 5th best player of all time, a player in the mix for 2nd-best in the league after that, and an all-star defenseman who he didn't even draft.

I'll give him Rafalski in 2008 and Ekholm now. The problem is that I can count all of his good FA signings with the wings from 2006 to 2019 on one hand.
I am from Detroit and a Holland supporter, but he's not a hill I'm willing to die on. His FA moves are mostly questionable at best. I mean bring in the uglier hatcher brother (and that's a pick em really) when the league was finally ready to do something about the clutch and grab dead puck era made no sense. But most of his trades before circa 2012 or 14 were pretty solid. Sadly, many were forced on him by an unexpected need to replace Konstantinov. But bringing in Shanahan was instrumental to the back to back champs.(OK assistant, but he must of had some input) Then chelios, Stuart and hasek. Plus, all those great players you mentioned from 2008, were all drafted under his watch as director of scouting and then as GM.

Reactions: wings95

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Holland is going to be the next Burke, right place at the right time. All he did was accept Pronger with open arms and have Rob Neidermayer under contract when he got there.
If I remember correctly (which is not a guarantee), Burke had to replace the entire defense core on that Anaheim team before they won the cup. And if it was so easy to get Pronger and Scott Niedermeyer, then why didn't every team do it? Signing Rob wouldn't have been too difficult.

I just think he deserves some credit for winning the cup with Anaheim.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's old, and not very good?

I dont even know if there anyone older in that role other than Lou?

I think if they really want to cash in on this mcdavid gift and take a stab at multiple cups, it's probably best to look elsewhere.

Holland himself may decide to take a step back regardless at this stage.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If I remember correctly (which is not a guarantee), Burke had to replace the entire defense core on that Anaheim team before they won the cup. And if it was so easy to get Pronger and Scott Niedermeyer, then why didn't every team do it? Signing Rob wouldn't have been too difficult.

I just think he deserves some credit for winning the cup with Anaheim.

Rob was under contract with Anaheim for 3 seasons before Burke got there.

As for the defense, the 06 and 07 teams both had Neidermayer (79g), Beauchemin (71g), DiPenta (76g), and O'Donnell (79g).

O'Brien was already in the system, drafted by Anaheim before Burke got there, and played 62g before being traded. The only new player who played more than 33 games was Pronger.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Rob was under contract with Anaheim for 3 seasons before Burke got there.

As for the defense, the 06 and 07 teams both had Neidermayer (79g), Beauchemin (71g), DiPenta (76g), and O'Donnell (79g).

O'Brien was already in the system, drafted by Anaheim before Burke got there, and played 62g before being traded. The only new player who played more than 33 games was Pronger.
Burke signed in Anaheim in late summer of 2005. He added Pronger, Scott Niedermeyer, Beauchemin, O'Donnell, Dipenta, Jackman and Huskins to the defense. Shane O didn't play a game in the playoffs when they won the cup. Burke added every defenseman from the winning team. He just didn't add them all in the year they won the cup. He was also there the year before, when they lost in the 3rd round.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It will be the downfall of the Oilers if they let him go.

That man needs to never pay for a drink at a bar in Edmonton ever again.
Win the cup first. Does the GM that brought Peca and Pronger in for the '06 run get free drinks for being a runner up in the cup final?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Look at the roster when Holland took over and look at the roster today. It is hard to argue that the team is not substantially better now. Thats the job of the GM
It’s great they made the SCF and have a chance at a cup, but running with Stuart Skinner again with no plan B this year after last years postseason should be a firable offence by itself. The Oilers have to keep the puck away from the net to win the cup this year.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
It’s great they made the SCF and have a chance at a cup, but running with Stuart Skinner again with no plan B this year after last years postseason should be a firable offence by itself. The Oilers have to keep the puck away from the net to win the cup this year.
Say what you want but star goalies are not available for a small price if at all. Holland does not manufacture them. How many teams have been looking for a good goalie forever? Toronto, Ottawa, Philly etc etc. Fact is the team is waaaaay better than when he took over and they are in the finals this year. I call that a success

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Reliable goaltending has never been harder to find. That's why there's like 20 teams looking at Gibson, Markström or Saros as trade options this offseason. If you measure a good GM by how good the team's goaltending is you need to fire most of them.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Someone should post what the roster looked like when Holland took over, it’s enough to make your eyes bleed. He inherited a capped out team with almost nobody for 97 and 29 to play with, no depth and basically nothing in the pipeline. Then in back to back offseasons he lost two of his top 3 defenders due to circumstances outside of his control.

The argument that it’s entirely due to mcdavid and Draisaitl is ridiculous as well. Take the two best players off any team and they aren’t going deep in the playoffs. Take Barkov and Tkachuk off the Panthers and they aren’t a cup contender. Also, Mcdavid and Draisaitl were both 100 pt players before he got to town but the team had only made the playoffs once with them there previous to his arrival.

He was by no means perfect but results are what matters and they speak for themselves. Made the playoffs every year, two WCF appearances and a SCF appearance that’s still TBD.
Who scores for the Oilers when McDavid and Draisatl aren’t on the ice?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Look at what he did his last 7-8 years in Detroit and what he's done in Edmonton.

He's dog shit at just about everything except spending money, and even then he misses more than he hits. Yes he signed great contracts with RNH and Hyman. He also signed contracts like Nurse, Campbell, Nielsen, Weiss, Abdelkader, etc.

Never mind that his drafting (Primarily tied to Tyler Wright) has been absolute trash over the last decade.

Yeah, the team he runs is in the Finals. The team he runs is also headlined by the best player since Gretzky/Lemieux and another Top 10 (Fringe Top 5) player in the world. It's kinda hard not to succeed at least once with that.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The Oilers have a new President of Hockey Operations in place in Jeff Jackson so he likely wants to bring in a GM with a more modern approach and probably more importantly a GM that excels at cap management with a mind for creativity because the Oilers are going to have a cap crunch, again, to navigate with the new McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard and potentially Skinner if he keeps improving contracts kicking in the next 2 years.

What does this even mean?

Hockey is hockey.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Look at what he did his last 7-8 years in Detroit and what he's done in Edmonton.

He's dog shit at just about everything except spending money, and even then he misses more than he hits. Yes he signed great contracts with RNH and Hyman. He also signed contracts like Nurse, Campbell, Nielsen, Weiss, Abdelkader, etc.

Never mind that his drafting (Primarily tied to Tyler Wright) has been absolute trash over the last decade.

Yeah, the team he runs is in the Finals. The team he runs is also headlined by the best player since Gretzky/Lemieux and another Top 10 (Fringe Top 5) player in the world. It's kinda hard not to succeed at least once with that.

It's crazy that he looked at Tyler Wright's track record in Detroit and thought "hell yeah! Come on with me to Edmonton!"

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Reliable goaltending has never been harder to find. That's why there's like 20 teams looking at Gibson, Markström or Saros as trade options this offseason. If you measure a good GM by how good the team's goaltending is you need to fire most of them.

Sure but it's even harder to find when you give a 5-year deal to a 30 year-old goaltender who's had one season in his career where he was the starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad