Why is it inconceivable for Matthews to be McDavid's equal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
McDavid is in another tier than Matthews

but

Draisatl who played wing for this player, is also in the same tier?

If Matthews played with McDavid he would score 60 goals last year. They are not close, and I am now done with this thread as it's only Oiler fans trolling now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

but

If Matthews played with McDavid he would score 60 goals last year. They are not close, and I am now done with this thread as it's only Oiler fans trolling now.

Draisaitl is a more rounded player though. He is physical, not afraid to throw his weight around, good defensively, and he also a better passer and playmaker than Matthews is. I agree Matthews is a better goal scorer, but at this stage of both careers. That is the only thing he has on Draisaitl.

BTW What did you think of Draisaitl at Center without McDavid this past playoffs? 16 points in 13 games, top 10 in playoff scoring. He did well so he does not need to be with McDavid to be productive.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Lol right I'm sure you've discerned his quality of competition compared to his teammates from the puckalytics site which you've linked me a source... Not any particular stat, mind you, just the site in general. Very convincing.

Look it up, I am not your Mother.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

but

Matthews would not score 60 goals with McDavid. It's not an automatic linear increase in goal scoring when you play with a 100 pt player.

See Milan Lucic.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Sorry I just don't see it. Oiler fans can sit here and laugh at Leaf fans for being delusional, yet Oiler fans can't accept that while McDavid is better, Matthews has parts of his game that are better than McDavid.

It was mentioned he had a better playoffs, but Matthews was a beast. Seriously, take off any bias glasses you have, and watch how Matthews plays defense and my favorite thing, watch how he uses his size and strength to protect the puck and win board battles. This is something McDavid cannot match with Matthews. This is not an insult, it's the truth.

Also fun drinking game, take a shot everytime he puts the puck on Hyman's stick (11) and he skates into the corner with it only to lose it or is set up in front of the net and does nothing with it but put a weak shot in the goalies chest.

That was VERY underwhelming. Not to sure what point you were trying to prove with this video but yeah.

Of course Matthews has been things, he is a better goal scorer and better at protecting the puck along the boards, that is it. McDavid is light years better in the d-zone.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Look it up, I am not your Mother.

Go on and tell me how to figure out QoC from that website. As far as I know it would require examining several advanced stats to get a rough picture that isn't very accurate, and then cross referencing those stats with every player on the team

Which I'm certain you didn't do.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
Go on and tell me how to figure out QoC from that website. As far as I know it would require examining several advanced stats to get a rough picture that isn't very accurate, and then cross referencing those stats with every player on the team

Which I'm certain you didn't do.

I will give you a hint kiddo, Opponent Corsi factors in.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Players to win the Hart Trophy before turning 21 years old;
Wayne Gretzky
Sidney Crosby
Connor McDavid

Throw in an Art Ross and Lindsay for McDavid at age 20.
As a fan of hockey, enjoy watching him. These type of players don't come around very often.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Draisaitl is a more rounded player though. He is physical, not afraid to throw his weight around, good defensively, and he also a better passer and playmaker than Matthews is. I agree Matthews is a better goal scorer, but at this stage of both careers. That is the only thing he has on Draisaitl.

BTW What did you think of Draisaitl at Center without McDavid this past playoffs? 16 points in 13 games, top 10 in playoff scoring. He did well so he does not need to be with McDavid to be productive.

Hey Interatif, I love you so much I'll reply only to you because I love our little chats. Lets break this down.

Draisaitl is a more rounded player though. He is physical, not afraid to throw his weight around, good defensively, and he also a better passer and playmaker than Matthews is.

Do you have some evidence for this claim? Matthews is elite at board battles and protecting the puck with his size. Matthews was physical in the playoffs. Would love to see how you quantify Drai over Matt defensively.

Also how is he a better passer and play maker? It's been gone over and over again now that he set up Hyman with so many high scoring chances that he failed. Matthews had more primary points then either of them so not sure how you can prove your argument. Looking for evidence here as you stated these as facts.

That is the only thing he has on Draisaitl.

:laugh:

For someone who is constantly preaching sample sizes, I would think you would know better here. Let's break this down...

He had 3 points in 6 games against the Sharks.

Then against the Ducks, he had a 4 point game and 5 point game. Do you not think that this series, a small sample size of 7 games, in which he had two unsustainable games, should be taken with a grain of salt?

Or, using your same logic, is Rielly now a #1 D after putting up 5 points in 6 games while playing nearly 30 minutes a night in a #1 D role?

Draisatl put up all his production in the regular season as a winger to McDavid. In fact, I believe it was you who argued that McDavid was a better playmaker than Matthews before citing Maroon going from a 20 point pace into almost PPG when he got to play with McDavid, and then him scoring over 40 points this year (Career high), yet Matthews couldn't do the same for Hyman (Even though you ignored he was also a rookie).

So I ask you then, if he can elevate a career 3rd liner to produce at a 2nd line pace, could he also not have a career 2nd liner produce at a first liner pace?

I am hopeful you will address my post and not deflect my points without addressing them like you normally do.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
That was VERY underwhelming. Not to sure what point you were trying to prove with this video but yeah.

Of course Matthews has been things, he is a better goal scorer and better at protecting the puck along the boards, that is it. McDavid is light years better in the d-zone.

Extremely underwhelming? That's a rookie playing in his first playoffs against the presidents trophy Winners. How you could watch that video and not come away impressed or see OP's point is beyond me. It demonstrates either a lack of knowledge of the game or such blinding insecure homerism that I'm not sure why you'd even bother to engage in conversation in the first place.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Wait, which boat are you talking about?

This boat?

article-2128342-0D72E67B00000578-97_964x508.jpg

or This boat?

32.1221893160.1_neat-little-dingy.jpg

Because the 1st one (McDavid) and the 2nd one (Marner) is completely different :sarcasm:

I'm saying that Marner's game was really not a factor in the playoffs, like McJesus, Marner didn't really deliver to the standards that he set during the regular season.

Like McJesus, Marner is going to need to learn how to play in the zero space environment that the playoffs create.

McJesus didn't really "bring it" come playoff time. Draisaitl did.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm saying that Marner's game was really not a factor in the playoffs, like McJesus, Marner didn't really deliver to the standards that he set during the regular season.

Like McJesus, Marner is going to need to learn how to play in the zero space environment that the playoffs create.

Right. That makes sense. I just thought it was funny saying 'in the same boat'. Just bringing some humor :thumbu:

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
I'm not going to read every post. I find it funny that people get offended when others have different opinions about players!
Could Matthews end up being better than McDavid? Yes
Could Draisatl end up being better than Matthews? Yes
Could Nylander end up being better than Draisatl? Yes
Time will tell I guess.
At the end of their careers, I think we will rank them:
1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Draisatl
4. Nylander

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't put too much weight on McDavids first playoff stats. The other teams clearly built their game plan around shutting him down. It usually takes a young guy a year or two to work through that. As someone who watched the Oilers in the playoffs I was actually impressed by his ability to fight through that and get some great chances even if it didn't show up on the score sheet every night. His defensive play and willingness to get physically involved was also impressive.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I wouldn't put too much weight on McDavids first playoff stats. The other teams clearly built their game plan around shutting him down. It usually takes a young guy a year or two to work through that. As someone who watched the Oilers in the playoffs I was actually impressed by his ability to fight through that and get some great chances even if it didn't show up on the score sheet every night. His defensive play and willingness to get physically involved was also impressive.

He was facing some real ********s between San Jose and Anaheim too.

Credit where It's due, those are veteran teams with some league best shutdown guys and pests. In hindsight it'll probably be the best introduction to NHL playoff hockey he could have gotten.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Marner was also recovering from Mono and was playing injured.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
Excellent question. One that will be ignored or danced around I'm sure.

Yeah the best answer I got was, "40 goals."

Don't get me wrong, that's impressive. McDavid did only get 30... while also adding more assists than Matthews had total points. What is so offensive about Matthews having to prove something before being heralded as "as good if not better" than McDavid? Isn't all we hear re: Crosby v McDavid is that McDavid has to prove that he's better beyond more than one season? Yet Matthews doesn't need to come close to McDavid's totals to be held in the same light?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hey Interatif, I love you so much I'll reply only to you because I love our little chats. Lets break this down.

Do you have some evidence for this claim? Matthews is elite at board battles and protecting the puck with his size. Matthews was physical in the playoffs. Would love to see how you quantify Drai over Matt defensively.

Also how is he a better passer and play maker? It's been gone over and over again now that he set up Hyman with so many high scoring chances that he failed. Matthews had more primary points then either of them so not sure how you can prove your argument. Looking for evidence here as you stated these as facts.

For someone who is constantly preaching sample sizes, I would think you would know better here. Let's break this down...

Then against the Ducks, he had a 4 point game and 5 point game. Do you not think that this series, a small sample size of 7 games, in which he had two unsustainable games, should be taken with a grain of salt?

Or, using your same logic, is Rielly now a #1 D after putting up 5 points in 6 games while playing nearly 30 minutes a night in a #1 D role?

Draisatl put up all his production in the regular season as a winger to McDavid. In fact, I believe it was you who argued that McDavid was a better playmaker than Matthews before citing Maroon going from a 20 point pace into almost PPG when he got to play with McDavid, and then him scoring over 40 points this year (Career high), yet Matthews couldn't do the same for Hyman (Even though you ignored he was also a rookie).

So I ask you then, if he can elevate a career 3rd liner to produce at a 2nd line pace, could he also not have a career 2nd liner produce at a first liner pace?

I am hopeful you will address my post and not deflect my points without addressing them like you normally do.

Quite the little rant LeafsforBabcock. You have anything to ask me specifically as it pertains to my post? You may disagree, but yes, Drasaitl is a better playmaker than Matthews at this point, has scored more points than Matthews at this point in the regular season and the playoffs and if you were watching post season hockey would know he was the Oilers best and one of the most physical players in the playoffs. There is nothing outrageous in saying they are on atleast the same tier. Give Matthews another season or 2, he may be as good as Draisaitl. But he isn't right now IMO.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014

Drai and McDavid had bad flu in first round, if you watched you would have known that. Drai was to leave a game because of it.

Drai is currently a better player overall then Matthews. Of course it will change, Drai just finished his 3rd year, Matthews his first, but last year Drai was better including playoffs.

They are both MUCH better passers and playmakers then Matthews, again try watching some games, you are embarrassing yourself.

Do not care how many times Hyman missed a scoring chance. If his teammates cashed in on McDavids absolutely prime scoring chances he gives them nightly, McDavid would have had over 500 points.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Drai and McDavid had bad flu in first round, if you watched you would have known that. Drai was to leave a game because of it.

Drai is currently a better player overall then Matthews
. Of course it will change, Drai just finished his 3rd year, Matthews his first, but last year Drai was better including playoffs.

They are both MUCH better passers and playmakers then Matthews, again try watching some games, you are embarrassing yourself.

Do not care how many times Hyman missed a scoring chance. If his teammates cashed in on McDavids absolutely prime scoring chances he gives them nightly, McDavid would have had over 500 points.

You're rapidly becoming one of my favourite posters. Really entertaining stuff. It is satire..... Right?

.............right?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Why do Oilers fans always make this so silly? Drai is not better then Matthews. You all tell us mcd is so much better than Matthews that they aren't even in the same tier! But then drai, who played with mcd, only outscored Matthews by what, 8 points? Get real, Drai is an awesome player, but he's no Matthews.

supeg93*

Aug 16, 2014
You're rapidly becoming one of my favourite posters. Really entertaining stuff. It is satire..... Right?

.............right?

No use arguing with Leaf's fans. Stats and actual production are on my side. Enjoy your Franchise player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad