Why hasn't the NHL marketed Matthews Latino side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This is also very true, as you said before how much natural ice is there in Arizona? But can't you see that having an example of someone, who not only played a game not culturally significant, but excelled at it, would be an inspiration?

I don't see a kid from Mexico or something looking at Matthews as "inspirational"...

I don't think a Latino would look at Matthews as being "Latino"..

I mean, I don't think a Sicilian from Sicily would look at a guy like me and go "wow, now that is a Sicilian" so I think the same would apply to Matthews...

Look, I think Matthews will certainly inspire a lot of kids in Toronto but not because he's half Latino or whatever - but because he's a good hockey player.

1mjp

May 13, 2016
OP hasn't made it clear if Matthews should be promoted for his race (genetics) or his nationality (culture)?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
His mother is mostly Southern European, thus Spanish. Mexican is a nationality, not a race.

So the first person was right. He is half Spanish.

I thought his mother was a Mexican flight attendant ... who married a Californian?

What do you mean if her mother is mostly Southern European? Is she Iberian? If her mother was a Mexican citizen ... she is Mexican. Thus, making Austin Matthews half Mexican.

Do you call Messi Italian because his ancestors are from Italy? No ... you call him Argentinian.

1mjp

May 13, 2016
I thought his mother was a Mexican flight attendant ... who married a Californian?

What do you mean if her mother is mostly Southern European? Is she Iberian? If her mother was a Mexican citizen ... she is Mexican. Thus, making Austin Matthews half Mexican.

Do you call Messi Italian because his ancestors are from Italy? No ... you call him Argentinian.

If you are only going by geography. It doesn't provide much context though, for example, to say someone is American.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If you are only going by geography. It doesn't provide much context though, for example, to say someone is American.

If Auston's mother is a Mexican citizen, he's half Mexican. I'm sure his father is not native American. His father's ancestors are mostly likely from Europe. But we still call him American. Hence, Auston is Mexican American.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Maple Leafs should do some "cultural appropriation" and change their logo to a colorful sombrero to celebrate Matthews' heritage.

Yes, I'm a market genius.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I think AM Mexican heritage will become increasingly highlighted as time goes on, more so in the States. Race seems to be more talked about there. But I think this early in his career, a lot of people aren't even aware of it because he has a very anglo saxon name.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
It's hard to market a player with a name like Auston Matthews to the Latino population. If his name were Juan Garcia or even Auston Garcia he would be much easier to market to the Latino population.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think AM Mexican heritage will become increasingly highlighted as time goes on, more so in the States. Race seems to be more talked about there. But I think this early in his career, a lot of people aren't even aware of it because he has a very anglo saxon name.

Don't think they'll highlight it, afterall there is some degree of prejudice and touting Mathews to Latinos may put off the nonlatino Americans.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes, we all know that NHL's marketing team is one of the worst of any professional sports. But we do also know that hockey has been one of the highest growing sports in the United States, especially in youth groups. With that said, one of the ethnic groups that the NHL has not even touched or started for that matter, is the Latinos. I'm not saying that Mexicans or other South American countries will stop following futball and baseball to watch hockey over night, not at all. Its just that the NHL has a chance to broadcast to a new market, especially in the southern parts of the United States that Auston Matthews is actually 50% Mexican.

A reason why is because everyone needs a role model to be a influential factor. A factor to start a new craze even if it is an entertainment aspect, an educational one, or a sporting activity. His Latino background tends more to be an afterthought while segments tend to talk more about how he started hockey in Arizona and how he left for Zurich. Only Bob McKenzie seems to realize how big of an impact this could potentially being stating it as a "fairy-tale" on more than on occasion. Seems like the NHL is currently making a big mistake not tapping into a brand new area to increase it's fanbase IMO.

Actually after the 4 goal stint I read 3 articles that were solely about his mom being mexican and him being half latino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad