why doesn't MLSE bring in a second team?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
i'm a Habs fan living in GTA. If a second team came here it would immediately become my second favourite team.
besides, the more Canadian teams the better.. it would also create a huge rivalry btw the Leafs and ? I dont know the numbers but id venture a guess that of the hockey crowd in the GTA 30% are "anti-leafs" which is still a larger market than 24 other teams.

That's great, doesn't have anything to do with my post but great.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If MLSE is all about the bottom line, who better to bring in a new franchise and wave their own infringement fee? They can both play out of the AC centre and MLSE can collect double revenue in perpetuity.
It's a no brainer investment. In lieu of Petty's comment today about cost of a new franchise why has nobody addressed the obvious? Does the NHL have a rule whereby one owner can't own two teams?

The readers digest version answer is the NHL bylaws prevent it based on conflict of interest.

How would the league police trades between the two teams owned by the same people?

Toronto-2 would be used as a farm system for the Leafs where they would get the high draft picks (top prospects) via finishing at the bottom of the NHL and trade them to Leafs for their veteran salary dumps. You would see Clarkson for McDavid type trades potentially. Where good players would end up on the Leafs and bad players on Leaf2.

What you might see in the future is Bell/Rogers current co-owners of the Leafs parting company, and one buying the other out of the Leafs shares and then having their own Toronto team separately.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
How can you possibly work with season seats and such with Leafs tickets and 2nd Team's season tickets.

Season ticket holders get tickets for their team's home games? Instead of travelling to another city, the Leafs play an away game at the ACC? Definitely do-able.

Not sure they have enough days to fit everyone in at the ACC, if you include the Raptors, though.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
If you are going to bring another franchise to Toronto, it better be in the 905 or Hamilton (which is it's own separate city). The franchise would need it's own separate identity from Toronto. But even then, I don't see a NHL franchise in Markham, Mississauga or Brampton doing well. Look at the Mississauga/Brampton experiment in the OHL... I live in Mississauga, about a 10 minutes drive away from the Hersey Centre and I have absolutely no desire to go see the Mississauga Steelheads. Mississauga doesn't have that kind of culture.

Long Island is a very different beast from New York. So putting a franchise in Long Island made sense. The team is in Brooklyn now. Which is a shame. Brooklyn and Nassau-Suffolk county are world's apart culturally. Just like Manhattan (NY Rangers) is different from Nassau-Suffolk and even Brooklyn. Just like how Manhattan is different from Harlem or the Bronx. People in Nassau-Suffolk can still commute to Barclay's in Brooklyn to see the Islanders. But it's just not the same anymore. It's not their team anymore. Long Island pride is a thing. Mississauga pride? Not so much. lol. Hazel McCallion and the city councillors left us debt-free for a very long time. And Mississauga has more jobs than it has workers living in Mississauga. They have a strong local economy for a suburb. My Mississauga pride ends there. lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad