Who would you say is the most memed player in the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlackAdam

May 5, 2013
Basically someone that's just become an inside joke for how bad or even how polarizing they've been for years. Could be related to their play or even off-ice activities.
If you're a soccer fan than I'm sure you're aware of the Antony or Harry Maguire memes that are flooding social media apps like TikTok or Instagram...

Any players that come up for you?

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I'd have to say Phil Kessel, or if players only with active contracts count, then I'd say Marchand.

I69TiIWUW55CF2dKwUw3mUiiongsf2xpqqllfAsL0KE.jpg

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
Luke Kunin is almost universally hated by the Sharks fanbase yet coveted by the franchise itself. A hot meme commodity last season.

• Wow
Reactions: Trow

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Kessel when he was still active. Probably Marchand now. Puljujarvi runner-up.

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
Sharks fans specifically hating Kunin when most of their team has been bad the last few years feels needlessly cruel, lol.
It's cruel to play him on your top lines and have him get compliments. Made Duclair look like Gretzky. I don't hate Kunin but he's a scratch on a playoff team.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I don't know if he's a meme or a punching bag, but Nick Ritchie comes to mind.

Somewhere on the internet, there's a long essay about how trash he is that starts off "This may sound like sour grapes but I don't give a shit . . . "

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't know if he's a meme or a punching bag, but Nick Ritchie comes to mind.

Somewhere on the internet, there's a long essay about how trash he is that starts off "This may sound like sour grapes but I don't give a shit . . . "

This is going to sound like sour grapes from a Boston fan but I don't give a shit.

Ritchie is one of the worst players I've seen in a Bruins sweater in a long time. He routinely made me question what it meant to be a Boston fan, he tested my patience and my ability to root for my boys on a routine basis.

I can excuse a lot, that's what sports fandom is, right? It's a place to be biased and petty and stupid in a safe little sandbox of biased petty stupidity. But suck me sideways Thick Dick Nick made it a chore. I can handle guys lacking talent but playing with heart, I can handle a lack of heart in crazy talented guys, I can handle the staggering room temperature milk mediocrity of guys like Lee Stempniak, but Thick Dick Nick is none of those things.

He plays the game like someone trying to egg you on into taking a swing at him. He skates with the urgency of an old lady shopping for canned beats, but with half the speed. His hockey IQ is on par with Brett Favre's. I'm assuming Brett Farve has never played hockey, correct me if I'm wrong. Nick constantly skates around like he's surprised he's at an NHL game and then glides back to the bench (probably from the penalty box for a stick infraction) with the dim look of Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Then he sits there like a melting chocolate Santa, with his hair inexplicably sticking up through the vent in his helmet, waiting to be surprised by his next turn to get on the ice.

Consider this: He scored 15 goals last year, found some dangerous ice as a PP scorer, and Bruins fans were debating if he would be a good 4th liner or not this year, because our 4th line was that f***ing bad, and Ritchie was the only skater who could conceivably make it worse. He scored 15 goals for us and we weren't sure if he would be a good replacement for Chris f***ing Wagner, the surly hobbit of the TD garden.

Nick Ritchie is a bigger contributor to the decline in cardiovascular health in Boston fans than smoking and obesity. He's the equivalent of a double bacon cheeseburger on your system. He is hockey diarrhea. The guy takes the stupidest retaliatory penalties you've ever seen. He is complete invisible until you need a momentum swing, goes "Got ya boss" and cross checks someone in the neck and bumbles off the ice like Abbott and/or Costello while simultaneously shrugging and bitching to the refs and the guy he blindsided.

I'm sure he's not a bad guy IRL, I don't mean for this to be a character assassination. I'm sure he has family and besides Brett they probably don't suck. This isn't about kicking a player on their way out; let the record reflect that every Boston fan has a few memories of cursing his name and that we started kicking him long before he was down. (See also the general well wishes for Kuraly upon his departure.)

Nick isn't a goon, he's a bad boyfriend. He'll score a couple of goals one week and you'll think he's turned a corner and then he'll hit on one of your friends and tell you to chill out because he's just being friendly. Don't buy the hype, be f***ing aware.

I am ecstatic that Ritchie wasn't held onto as a sunk cost, and that Toronto signed him. There you go, that's your analysis.

• Love
Reactions: Clint Eastwood

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
This is easily Jokinen.

At some point Jokinen had convinced people in Finland that his nick name is "the Chief". He was starting his NHL career and some Finnish reporter asked Rob Blake "so do you guys call him Chief as well?". Blake responded "no, we just call him the Great Pumpkin head".

Glad his coaching career is doing well, he legitimately might coach NHL one day.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad