Who won the Toronto-Pittsburgh trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who won?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kasperi Kapanen (Aberg/J Lindgren) Traded to Pittsburgh (15OV/Hallander/E Rod/Warf to Toronto)

In my opinion it was a win-win. Toronto gets a 1st rounder back after trading it in the Marleau deal and clears some cap, pitts gets one of the fastest players in the league To put next to Crosby/ malkin

Is this a joke?

Toronto won this one by a country mile.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I dont even think this is a win for pittsburgh. Kapanen is now their 6th winger making at least 3.2. now they have 9 mil space to resign Murray,Jarry,Mcann and Simon as well as fill out the roster

overpay imho. hfboards seemed to think Kap wouldnt bring back a first (how many 2nd+B prospect deals have leafs fans had to eat over the past uyear?)

15 in a stacked draft +Hallander is a fantastic return
I guess you should feel proud?

Kapanen is a 2nd line winger. His speed fits the Pens. I mean, you could argue the Pens overpaid slightly in terms of value, but that doesn't mean it's not a win for the Pens if they land a player that fits. You don't win based on subjective "value." You win if the player fits your team and contributes to winning as a team.

gac3378

Nov 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
The only way the pens "win" this deal is if they get one more cup over the next 3 years kap is under contract. This just feels oddly similar to me when the pens and leafs did the Kessel trade. Pens got the best player in the deal but gave up what everyone said at the time was a lot "for a player that lacks heart and is one dimensional ".

The writing has been on the wall for awhile now that the pens window is closing, they are definitely being more aggressive in trades to try to help now and not think about the future. I'm ok with that logic but you need to be smart with the aggressive moves. Too many times you can look back at the trades after 2017 and really question if they were worth it or what was the cost to undue the damage of the trade.

Today I think Toronto "wins" the trade but the gamble the pens are making is what they need to do to go for that final cup of the sid/geno era. There are obviously more trades coming for both the pens and leafs this off season.

So after thinking about this I can't honestly say that the pens "lost" today either. They got a player who should fit really well in their top 6 and is an affordable contract for the rest of their window

Reactions: CanadianSharks

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The only way the pens "win" this deal is if they get one more cup over the next 3 years kap is under contract. This just feels oddly similar to me when the pens and leafs did the Kessel trade. Pens got the best player in the deal but gave up what everyone said at the time was a lot "for a player that lacks heart and is one dimensional ".

The writing has been on the wall for awhile now that the pens window is closing, they are definitely being more aggressive in trades to try to help now and not think about the future. I'm ok with that logic but you need to be smart with the aggressive moves. Too many times you can look back at the trades after 2017 and really question if they were worth it or what was the cost to undue the damage of the trade.

Today I think Toronto "wins" the trade but the gamble the pens are making is what they need to do to go for that final cup of the sid/geno era. There are obviously more trades coming for both the pens and leafs this off season.

So after thinking about this I can't honestly say that the pens "lost" today either. They got a player who should fit really well in their top 6 and is an affordable contract for the rest of their window
Kapanen is only under contract for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons, so wouldn't the Penguins need to win one more Cup over the next 2 years?

Kasperi Kapanen - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Its a great deal for the leafs. Pick up a mid first in a good draft and a decent prospect, add a little cap space, and they have robertson to replace him. Value wise it is probably a bit high.

But its not a massive overpayment, and the pens got what they needed too.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Too early to tell.

On it's face, I like this trade for the Pens because Kap is currently the best player among the names in the trade and his numbers could get jacked playing with Malkin ( I'm assuming that's where he's going ). Guentzel, Rust, Zucker, Kapanen is a pretty good set of top 6 wingers who are all under 30. Pittsburgh wants to keep the Crosby/Malkin window open as long as possible and having ' in their prime ' wingers who can all skate, shoot, and score helps that out tremendously. The 15OA most likely would not be doing anything to help the Crosby/Malkin window anytime soon.

I like this trade for the Leafs because the gives them cap room in a position they were loaded on. I don't think the Leafs need to get any younger so I would even say they got a good trading chip with the 15OA to improve their current roster, since they're also a team that's hunting for playoff success.

I think the trade boils down to those two parts... I think the rest are basically fodder and future/current JAGS with little consequence.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
wanted to say the Leafs but a potential win win as Kapanen may fit better in the Crosby-Malkin top 6.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'd say the Leafs but it seems like the Pens always find a way to keep chugging along and turning sub par players into a little bit more. So I wouldn't count them out in this just yet.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
HFers are way too focused on wining trades on paper. It's not just a calculation of overall value of the sum of assets exchanged.
The fact of the matter is that Pittsburgh got better with this trade and Toronto got worse. The 1st rounder might make a difference down the road, but really the only thing Toronto got from this was cap space to fix a deeper flaw in their roster. Whether the benefit of getting another player to fix that flaw offsets the loss of Kapanen remains to be seen.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Interested to see how kapanen does next to Crosby, malkin. He was given lots of looks with Tavares and Matthews but could never seem to click with them. He doesn’t have good IQ, shot or board work but has elite speed, hustle and decent hands

He might work with Sid. Then again, traffic cone would work with Sidney Crosby

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Toronto won on value for now, how they use the 1st + Hallander + cap will determine if the really won the trade long term

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto for sure.

Pittspurgh got the guy they wanted but it's hard to call it a win if it comes with a price like that. Steep overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad