who will be the better pt producer/goal scorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
RDriesen16 said:
m-a pouiot

or

travis zajac

whats their games like. i havent heard much on pouliot but heard zajac may bring scoring from a checking role at worst?

I am not overly familiar with Zajac other than to note that many hold him in high regard, but as an Oiler fan I have followed M-A Pouliot quite closely.

114 points last year in the 'Q' is impressive, but playing with Crosby has to be taken into account. The biggest thing for Pouliot was that he had a healthy season after a couple of serious injuries in previous years. Most seem to have him penciled in as a 2nd line 2-way centreman. His solid play at the Memorial Cup is pretty indicative of his style and effectiveness. He is a captain and by all accounts a good leader and a hard worker. He could use a bit more bulk. I know that Oiler fans are anxious to see how he does in the AHL next year.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
No chance Zajac will score 30 goals, 60 pts! Especially not in today's NHL... only like 5 players hit 30+ last year, and they're among the best. I think Zajac's ceiling is like 40-45 pts. maybe 20-25 goals.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
If Zajac's ceiling is around 25 goals and 45 points, I would not be surprised if Pouliot might score 20-30-50. I believe he led the QMJHL in shots, and anyone who shoots as often as that is bound to get goals by the law of averages. Still, I think he will be more of a set-up player. If he scored more than that I'd be very happy. IMO it is very possible.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
No chance Zajac will score 30 goals, 60 pts! Especially not in today's NHL... only like 5 players hit 30+ last year, and they're among the best. I think Zajac's ceiling is like 40-45 pts. maybe 20-25 goals.

yeah but tomorrow's NHL is sure to be different, whether it's no red line, tagup offsides, smaller goalie equipment, better obstruction enforcement (ha!), slightly larger nets.

i think zajac's top potential may let him be a 25-30-55 guy. but of course how his game transfers to the NHL and how he develops will be key.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Zajac has a 45 point ceiling? Do you guys even watch him at all? He led North Dakota in goals has a freshmen. The guy has amazing hockey sense and can put the puck into the net. The sky is the limit with Zajac, he is big, strong, can fire the puck and has amazing playmaking abilities. I say max potential is around 25/50 in todays NHL and higher in the future NHL.

I have his final two games tapes and Zajac has no real weaknesses. With better linemates who can finish you will Zajac put up alot more points next year.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Jason MacIsaac said:
Zajac has a 45 point ceiling? Do you guys even watch him at all? He led North Dakota in goals has a freshmen. The guy has amazing hockey sense and can put the puck into the net. The sky is the limit with Zajac, he is big, strong, can fire the puck and has amazing playmaking abilities. I say max potential is around 25/50 in todays NHL and higher in the future NHL.

I have his final two games tapes and Zajac has no real weaknesses. With better linemates who can finish you will Zajac put up alot more points next year.

I agree.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Wolfpack said:
but as an Oiler fan I have followed M-A Pouliot quite closely.

I'm glad to hear that you've followed MAP so closely. I've only seen him at the Memorial Cup "5 games". I didn't see many of his alleged passing abilities,2-way play, etc. Would you consider his Memorial Cup play to be the norm,sub-par,above the norm,etc.??? Thanks, Bryan

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
I'm glad to hear that you've followed MAP so closely. I've only seen him at the Memorial Cup "5 games". I didn't see many of his alleged passing abilities,2-way play, etc. Would you consider his Memorial Cup play to be the norm,sub-par,above the norm,etc.??? Thanks, Bryan

I'm not sure if the Memorial Cup is the best place to judge a player's style in this particular situation. First of all, when you're playing on the top line of a top-heavy (I'm trying not to use the term "one-line") team like Rimouski, you're not asked to play all that much defence in a short tournament like the Mem. Cup. The Crosby-Pouliot-Roussin line was smothered by the other teams' top defensive unit each game and still produced points up until the final game where they ran out of gas against a great defensive team. In terms of his defensive play, I have to defer to the opinions of coaches and scouts, who say he is solid.

One area I'd like to see improvement is going to the net without the puck. He did make some slick passes but ended up admiring them too often IMO. If he went to the net more he could score a lot of goals - much like his linemate Roussin, who obviously benefited from picking up Crosby's garbage a ton during the last season.

Pouliot does not shy away from the physical play either, and if he can manage to put on a bit more weight it will be a great benefit as well.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Wolfpack said:
I am not overly familiar with Zajac other than to note that many hold him in high regard, but as an Oiler fan I have followed M-A Pouliot quite closely.

114 points last year in the 'Q' is impressive, but playing with Crosby has to be taken into account. The biggest thing for Pouliot was that he had a healthy season after a couple of serious injuries in previous years. Most seem to have him penciled in as a 2nd line 2-way centreman. His solid play at the Memorial Cup is pretty indicative of his style and effectiveness. He is a captain and by all accounts a good leader and a hard worker. He could use a bit more bulk. I know that Oiler fans are anxious to see how he does in the AHL next year.

i'll take travis zajac

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I love Zajac. I think he can be a great 2nd line, hard nosed forward. I'm definately thinking around 60-70 points as his total ceiling. He really impresses me.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
I don't see why Zajac couldn't be good for 55+ points. I doubt he'll score 30 goals, but to say he doesn't have the ability IMO is kind of absurd. As far as skill set goes, he could be the most naturally gifted player in the Devils system. He's got decent size (over 6'1" I believe) and hes very fast. He's gritty and can knock in tough goals, but at the same time has a nice shot to compliment it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad