Speculation: Todd McLellan to be hired as head coach?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't hate the hire if it happens. He could be just a transitional coach who comes here to help stabilize things and then maybe move into the front office in like 3 years?
I feel like we've said that about multiple coaches now, specifically "he could be an interim coach for the kids until we're ready to compete in a few years!"

Reactions: domi28

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I feel like we've said that about multiple coaches now, specifically "he could be an interim coach for the kids until we're ready to compete in a few years!"
TBF, its no longer a "wait until the kids are ready" situation. It's a "this ship has been steered by a drunk captain and need stabilized" situation. Completely different then when they hired Larson in 2021.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
TBF, its no longer a "wait until the kids are ready" situation. It's a "this ship has been steered by a drunk captain and need stabilized" situation. Completely different then when they hired Larson in 2021.
Completely fair, though the ship still contains mostly kids lol

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why do people not like McLellan for the job?

I was a little more excited for Dean Evason but I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't like McLellan.

Just seeing on twitter now that there are folks who think he sucked with L.A.? The Kings went from being a rebuilding squad to a .600 hockey team under McLellan.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

I was a little more excited for Dean Evason but I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't like McLellan.

Just seeing on twitter now that there are folks who think he sucked with L.A.? The Kings went from being a rebuilding squad to a .600 hockey team under McLellan.
It's the off-season and we need something to complain about. Let's be honest, we'd complain with just about any realistic hiring we could've made lol

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For those who think he would be a terrible hire, I’d like to know what fits the bill with us being the only job open right now?

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
What is Porty saying here?

It looks like he called McLellan and McLellan told him he was busy with family stuff and couldn't comment, but that he'd meet with Waddell and co in Vegas.

So we get a cryptic tweet.
From the one I just posted I think he's saying if Bucci is saying it, there's probably something going on.

Reactions: Doggy

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
What is Porty saying here?

It looks like he called McLellan and McLellan told him he was busy with family stuff and couldn't comment, but that he'd meet with Waddell and co in Vegas.

So we get a cryptic tweet.
The way I take it is McLellan has the family event so he may not be able to join the CBJ staff in Vegas for the draft. But basically confirming Bucci report

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

Good listen so far, at least a little insight into how he thinks for someone who knows nothing about him (me)

Edit: he's saying the right things. Wants guys to play within the structure they've put out, sounds like he's big on positive reinforcement. So instead of getting on a guy when he makes a mistake, talking to him after he makes a good play and reinforcing those good habits.

Not a fan of "there's no I in team", there's 23 different individuals on the roster and you gotta find a way to make them work together.

Wants to make getting called to the office a good thing and not a bad thing, especially with the younger kids.

When asked about what it's like having experienced accomplished guys and yet so many young kids and prospect's... And he mentioned they're lucky to have so many accomplished older guys on the roster, but recognized that sometimes it's the opposite way around, sometimes it's the younger kids who are the more accomplished ones coming in. And that sometimes the veteran players are picking stuff up from the kids.

Not easy to have a 18yr old kid in the lineup.

Really big on taking a lot of notes by hand, even using notebooks from past years that you might forgotten about.(Learned it from Hitchcock)

Was responsible for the PP in Detroit in 05/06

Game tactics aren't as important as player relationships, motivation techniques, practice, balance of fatigue and rest.

Training camp is really hard for him, lots of guys in different color jerseys and it's hard to tell whose who with so many bodies out there.

Last edited:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

McLellan would undoubtedly be an improvement over what we’ve had. I just remain unconvinced he’s one of those coaches that can really do a good job developing young players, which is what I was hoping we’d get with this hire.

That being said I’m excited nonetheless that we’ll have an experienced coach and will likely see a good improvement from the team as a result.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
McLellan is the type of experience that historically has been most successful for us (Torts, Hitch, I’ll even throw Dave King on there given how trash those rosters were, and Todd Richards given the minor success he had). It has not gone well for those with no head coaching experience (Gallant, Arniel, Larsen, Vincent).

I like the hire, particularly coming off three years of no prior head coaching experience. It’s not a ‘wow’ hire, but time to get the train back on the tracks. Who knows, if he does that over the next year or two, he may be able to pull off something really, really special in 3 or 4 years with the young talent/prospects we have.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Kings fan chiming in here with Cold notes on TMac a.k.a. “Koala” Great X’s and O’s coach. Structured. In game coaching adjustments are non existent and he’s not fond of playing the younger guys in the lineup.

Hope he works out for you.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad