Who is....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Rask is 2-1-0. The one loss against Canada with no help. He stoped 34 of 35 shots last night. any1 know where we can match stats with Rask and Schneider?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
shaner89 said:
Rask is 2-1-0. The one loss against Canada with no help. He stoped 34 of 35 shots last night. any1 know where we can match stats with Rask and Schneider?

Stats don't tell the whole story it's about making saves when your team needs them, and making sure your team can trust you, and Schneider has done both.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Russian_fanatic said:
Stats don't tell the whole story it's about making saves when your team needs them, and making sure your team can trust you, and Schneider has done both.

Like when he let in the two late goals against the Swiss that are the real reason the US lost first place in the pool and are playing a quarterfinal game?

Your love for Schneider doesn't have anything to do with the team that owns his NHL rights by any chance?

He is playing behind, arguably, the most talented team in the tournament and aside from the key Swiss goals, he gave up some horrible rebounds against Canada. He was more than a little lucky that Canada didn't bury some of them. I haven't seen enough games to judge who the top three goalies are and scouting netminders is a tricky business even for the pros. But I doubt that many neutral observers rate Schneider as high as you do.

PS. I live in Vancouver also and am pro Canuck also.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
shaner89 said:

As requested, threw in Pogge as well for comparison sake:

Schneider
GP: 3
6 goals on 62 total shots
91.18 sv%
2.01 GAA
1-1-1

Rask
GP: 3
7 goals on 81 total shots
91.36 sv%
2.33 GAA
2-1-0

Pogge
GP: 4
6 goals against on 65 total shots
91.55 sv%
1.50 GAA
4-0-0

Pogge is probably playing behind the best defense, Rask had a slow start but has been great in the last game or two. And Schneider has been fairly consistent, with a terrific outting against Team Canada yesterday.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
finska said:
Pogge's been great, but how would he stack up if he wasn't playing for Canada (Obviously a big advantage).

I think Pogge's biggest asset is that positionally he's been great, and he's a big body in the net. He clearly has the technical game down to a tee, which makes him tough to beat when he's not being screened (I havn't seen him allow a goal where he saw the shot yet...I also did not see the USA goals against him, so I don't know if they were screened or not.).

I think Pogge, although I never saw it coming, may actually be the top goalie of this WJC class--I was always a very pro-Rask guy, I thought he'd be the top guy, and I tohught Pogge would look average at best. The Swiss goalie was pretty darn good too.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The best goalie of the tournament is defined when the medal round starts. The round robin is meaningless, because no matter what, the top goalie will come from a top 4 team. I have serious doubts that Rask and Khudobin will be difference makers for their teams in important games. I suspect that if the Russians or Finns go deep, it will be in spite of those guys not because of them.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
GregStack said:
I also did not see the USA goals against him, so I don't know if they were screened or not.).

The first was a total screen and deflected of a Canadian defender. The second was a breakaway.

GregStack said:
I think Pogge, although I never saw it coming, may actually be the top goalie of this WJC class--I was always a very pro-Rask guy, I thought he'd be the top guy, and I tohught Pogge would look average at best. The Swiss goalie was pretty darn good too.

Pogge is the best goalie here in my opinion. While very unheralded until the WHL playoffs last year, his game has grown by leaps and bounds and he is the cream of the crop at this tournament. That is not saying he will win the award for it, because for that to happen he will have to take Canada to the finals and play great. So we'll see.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
67Cup said:
Your love for Schneider doesn't have anything to do with the team that owns his NHL rights by any chance?

He is playing behind, arguably, the most talented team in the tournament

PS. I live in Vancouver also and am pro Canuck also.
The US also has had horrendous d-zone coverage.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
jtuzzi said:
The US also has had horrendous d-zone coverage.

There was an interesting note from McGuire on the TSN Broadcast of the US/Canada game. He said that the Canadian goalie coach had instructed the Canadian forwards to shoot low on Schneider because he gives up so many rebounds on that kind of shot. Sure enough when you watched him, he did just that. He may turn out to be the best NHL goaltender in the long run for all I know, but apparently he has some work to do on his game.

The truth is I have nothing against him and don't know who the top three goalies are in the tournament. I only entered the thread because of the very peculiar argument that he had made key saves at vital points in games.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Going by the teams I've seen this whole lot have things to work on. I do like Pogge best and not much after that. The short time I saw Fiala I really liked him but figured he was just here to make up the numbers... well he's beaten out a terrific goalie in Pavelec just to make the team and had displaced Schwartz up until last night. Do not know how the game unfolded other than the scoreline. I have seen many flaws in Schneider, Frazee, Smith, Haugen, Rask , Ramo and Berra. They are all young though and they still have more time to impress.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Khudobin leads the tournament in every statistical category... well his teamate Varlamov is doing better statistically, but he only player one game (less than 40% of his team's minutes)

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Schneider comes up with a big game against the Czech's following Rask's good performance.

Rask sv % 94.78

Schneider sv % 92.93

If these two put in performances tomorrow like they did today, it could be a heck of a semi-finals. I don't really see either getting thrown off their game, though Rask will have to deal with the Canada crash and bang style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad