Prospect Info: Who is Canucks #20 prospect?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
You're putting mistakes in on purpose now, right?

Anyway, voted Grenier. His inconsistency is frustrating, but at this point, I think he is most likely to play NHL games (other than Archibald)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As i said in previous polls, i just can't get behind Grenier, even this far down the list. He just doesn't play a "bottom-6 friendly" sort of game. Doesn't have the defensive responsibility, or the inclination to play a real physical game and keep his feet moving in that "energy role".

He's essentially a "top-6 or bust" prospect for me, and while he did post some results, at his age those results aren't really much of any kind of really encouraging sign for a guy who is going to have to produce in a top-6 role to have any "niche" at the next level.

Guys like Archibald and Lain may be "worse" scorers, maybe even worse "players" overall...but as prospects for the NHL, the skillsets they do have are far better tailored to actually filling a role in the bigs one day. For me, we're at the point where we're pretty much exclusively talking about guys who we hope might be able to fill a fringe/depth role (particularly with the forwards) one day...so i'd consider the prospects well suited for that as "better" than others here.

McNally is maybe the exception to that, but he's obviously got a lot of other stuff going on that stands in his way.

That said, i voted Tommernes which kind of runs counter to that. But a defenceman who can move around the ice that well still has a bit of "upside" for me as a potential NHL depth guy at least. If he can grow into the physical side of the North American game that is. Should get a pretty good idea from this year if that's ever going to happen or not though.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
I voted "Other" to be cheeky, and because I'm out of my depth, and was encouraged to see that I was the 6th person to do so. Plus, where's Kellan Lain?

Alflives*

I voted "Other" to be cheeky, and because I'm out of my depth, and was encouraged to see that I was the 6th person to do so. Plus, where's Kellan Lain?

What are the odds, the 20th prospect plays in the NHL?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Voting Cederholm, which one is the question.

I took Joseph Labate at 20th

This kid has size (6'4 205lbs) ,speed and is good in his own zone

He is playing in the NCAA and is projected to be a good 3rd line center
He isn't doing too well though.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
As i said in previous polls, i just can't get behind Grenier, even this far down the list. He just doesn't play a "bottom-6 friendly" sort of game. Doesn't have the defensive responsibility, or the inclination to play a real physical game and keep his feet moving in that "energy role".

He's essentially a "top-6 or bust" prospect for me, and while he did post some results, at his age those results aren't really much of any kind of really encouraging sign for a guy who is going to have to produce in a top-6 role to have any "niche" at the next level.

Guys like Archibald and Lain may be "worse" scorers, maybe even worse "players" overall...but as prospects for the NHL, the skillsets they do have are far better tailored to actually filling a role in the bigs one day. For me, we're at the point where we're pretty much exclusively talking about guys who we hope might be able to fill a fringe/depth role (particularly with the forwards) one day...so i'd consider the prospects well suited for that as "better" than others here.

McNally is maybe the exception to that, but he's obviously got a lot of other stuff going on that stands in his way.

That said, i voted Tommernes which kind of runs counter to that. But a defenceman who can move around the ice that well still has a bit of "upside" for me as a potential NHL depth guy at least. If he can grow into the physical side of the North American game that is. Should get a pretty good idea from this year if that's ever going to happen or not though.

Exactly... don't understand the Grenier support. Guys like Archibald, Lain and (yes) even Mallett have small chances that they might eventually be NHL 4th liners. Grenier has a tiny, tiny chance of being an NHL top 6 player and, because of the player he is, an almost zero chance of making the bottom 6.

I voted Mallett, just to back my talk... but honestly, of the the guys remaining, I think Cederholm is probably the most likely to ever get 80+ NHL games.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Wow. #20 prospect...I mean, where do you go from here? What encore could possibly measure up to this thread? What? WHAT?! How could you ever hope to top the mastery of this concept?

AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Out of any one of these guys reaching their full potential.. even if Grenier might be a boom-or-bust type and absolutely not fitting to do anything else than to score, if whe does do that.. it's a winner. He's also played already at the bigs for a few games so we're definitely getting real close in seeing if he does have it, so that at least warrants some interest. Hopefully this following season stabilizes his spot in Utica and he becomes more consistent.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
20. Grenier
21. McNally
22. Archibald
23. Lain
24. Cederholm
25. Alex Friesen
--------------------
26. Cannata
27. Mallet

Vancouver has ~25 relevant prospects not bad.

In my opinion:
Top 3- top tier prospects
4-10 - potential future NHL impact players
11-15 - Wildcards who could be as good as 4-10.
16-20 - potential 4th liner or 6th/7th dman.
21-25 - hope and a dream

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
At this stage, I think the prospect that has the highest chance to surprise is Patrick McNally...

First year at Harvard before the cheating scandal:

2011-12 GP 34 G 6 A 22 P 28
Named to ECAC Hockey All-League third team and All-Rookie squad
ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year finalist
Received George Percy Award as Harvard's top rookie
!!!

USCHO Article June 2010

excerpt:
“Pat is an offensive defenseman whose strength is in rushing the puck and putting constant pressure on the defense,†NHL Central Scouting’s Gary Eggleston wrote in his scouting report. “He is a very good skater with mobility, speed and quickness. His skating skills and quick hands allow him to escape trouble and move the puck quickly out of danger. In the defensive zone he has very good lateral mobility and closes quickly on the puck carrier, forcing him into quick decisions or mistakes. He is an excellent passer whose passes are accurate and proper for the situation. Doesn’t play a physical game, but relies on quick stick and smarts to gain puck possession.â€

Hopefully he can get back on track this season...

S_C

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
At this stage, I think the prospect that has the highest chance to surprise is Patrick McNally...

First year at Harvard before the cheating scandal:

2011-12 GP 34 G 6 A 22 P 28
Named to ECAC Hockey All-League third team and All-Rookie squad
ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Year finalist
Received George Percy Award as Harvard's top rookie
!!!

USCHO Article June 2010

excerpt:
“Pat is an offensive defenseman whose strength is in rushing the puck and putting constant pressure on the defense,†NHL Central Scouting’s Gary Eggleston wrote in his scouting report. “He is a very good skater with mobility, speed and quickness. His skating skills and quick hands allow him to escape trouble and move the puck quickly out of danger. In the defensive zone he has very good lateral mobility and closes quickly on the puck carrier, forcing him into quick decisions or mistakes. He is an excellent passer whose passes are accurate and proper for the situation. Doesn’t play a physical game, but relies on quick stick and smarts to gain puck possession.â€

Hopefully he can get back on track this season...

S_C

There is the potential to surprise there. And probably the highest "upside" of the guys remaining. But that whole missed year of development can't be overlooked. Not just the scandal and missed year in and of itself, but in that it doesn't seem McNally took the whole "pro aspirations" thing all too seriously during that missed time either, which seems to have compounded the problem and got him even further off track. It's hard to say where his priorities really are.

Hopefully he's refocused and can get things back on the right track, but i'm not holding my breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad