Who is better Dermott or Sergachev?

Who is better Dermott or Sergachev?

• Total voters

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Both sheltered players who are bordering on #4/5 d-men at this early point in their career.

Sergachev absolutely has higher potential and is more likely to hit it in my opinion.

Dermott strikes me as a reliable guy who isn't really good at anything but doesn't have any major flaws either.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
dermott is better now for sure, serg has a higher cieling no doubt though.

Not a fan of either team - just curious how you came to this conclusion.

The eye test tells me Sergachev is better. The stats appear to show Sergachev is slightly better. Why is Dermott better now for sure?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’m sorry.

I’d still accept the argument that Sergachev has a higher upside, but Sergachev has been more awful than good this season and Dermott has definitely put in better work this year.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I’m sorry.

I’d still accept the argument that Sergachev has a higher upside, but Sergachev has been more awful than good this season and Dermott has definitely put in better work this year.

Pretty obvious that you have not watched a single game of Sergachev this year. He has taken a huge step forward this year while getting more responsibilities. Just because he has scored a few less goals than last year doesn't mean he has been bad.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Pretty obvious that you have not watched a single game of Sergachev this year. He has taken a huge step forward this year while getting more responsibilities. Just because he has scored a few less goals than last year doesn't mean he has been bad.
Yes, I make a habit of speaking on players that I haven’t watched.

What he’s proven this season is that he does not have #1D upside.

Btw, his thread in Tampa’s own forums here have quite a few fans stating they feel he’s taken a step back this year. Do you think they haven’t watched him either?

For me, he had been better since around Christmas, but his ceiling was clearly highly overstated last season.

More responsibilities, on the 3rd pairing. Lol.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Yes, I make a habit of speaking on players that I haven’t watched.

What he’s proven this season is that he does not have #1D upside.

Btw, his thread in Tampa’s own forums here have quite a few fans stating they feel he’s taken a step back this year. Do you think they haven’t watched him either?

For me, he had been better since around Christmas, but his ceiling was clearly highly overstated last season.

More responsibilities, on the 3rd pairing. Lol.

I've said before that I don't think lot of our fans understand what a good defenseman is. Sergachev hasn't been producing as much as last year so obviously some of them are going to be disappointed. Add to that the rookie mistakes he sometimes makes and it's easy to understand why someone might think he is doing badly.

For me this season has proven he has 1D upside. Last year he looked pretty bad even though he was putting up a lot of points. This year he just plays much more solid D and has limited the mistakes he makes as the season has gone along.

The thing with Sergachev is that when he is on the ice the puck is usually going to be in the offensive zone. He has the ability to control play in a way many just dream of. So even if he doesn't ever become perfect defensively his offensive talent should easily make him one of the best defenseman in the league.

And yes he has had more responsibilities on the third pairing. More ice time and way more d zone starts. He also doesn't have anyone to babysit him anymore. Should't be so hard to understand.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Sergachev is averaging less than 18 mins a game this season. Less than last year, because he had t been as dependable.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I’m sorry.

100%, but people will continue to hype Sergachev because of his pedigree and draft position.

From an eye-test POV, Serg's way too lackadaisical with the puck for my liking and makes egregious errors. Dermott is way more engaged, better timing, faster twitch, and perfect gap control. He can do things not even Rielly can do with the puck.

If you're looking at point totals, it leans Sergachev, but every other aspect of the game i'm putting Dermott on the ice. Also, Dermott is getting the Rielly treatment with respect to the PP, and has a very short leash offensively due to Babcock.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sergachev is averaging less than 18 mins a game this season. Less than last year, because he had t been as dependable.
This is completely ignoring the context. He's averaging less than last season because he's a LHD behind two #1 LHD. Last season it was Hedman, then Coburn and Sergachev split the time that Hedman wasn't on the ice. Now it's Hedman 22, McDonagh 20-22, and the third pairing gets about 16-18. Even strength we just roll the pairings now (unless disrupted due to penalties).

That's where the difference in responsibility comes in. Last season we'd bring Sergachev out for OZS almost exclusively (I think it was around 70%), and generally were very careful about who we sent him out against at home. This season it's more 55-45 OZ/DZ starts, and we don't worry about the match up as much.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Not a fan of either team - just curious how you came to this conclusion.

The eye test tells me Sergachev is better. The stats appear to show Sergachev is slightly better. Why is Dermott better now for sure?
Dermott absolutely crushes his competition albeit it's a bit light. But he boasts some of the best Corsi rel numbers for dman in the league. He's very good defensively and is actually quite punishing of a hitter ocasionally.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Dermott absolutely crushes his competition albeit it's a bit light. But he boasts some of the best Corsi rel numbers for dman in the league. He's very good defensively and is actually quite punishing of a hitter ocasionally.

Ever since Jake's back spasms, he (and Zaitsev!) have played very well.
I think the 3rd paring should be Gardiner/Oz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like Dermott a lot but short of a career ending injury to sergachev it i not and never will be Dermott

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad